Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which Is The Best Surge Protector.

Last response: in Components
January 25, 2011 6:56:08 AM

Hi,

I need a help in selecting a best and durable surge protector and following are the configuration of My PC.

Lenovo 3000 H-Series Desktop
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2 Ghz
4 GB DDR2 RAM (2 GB Each)
320 GB SATA Hard disk drive (180 Each)
Power supply Corsair VX 550W
1 DVD writer
6 USB drives
Auzentech Forte 7.1 Sound Card
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB Graphic Card
Logitech Z2300 2.1 Channel speaker system
APC Back-UPS, 600 Watts / 1000 VA,Input 230V / Output 230V,

Plugs which will be connected to surge protector are,
1. PC Power cord
2. Logitech Speaker System
3. HP Multi purpose printer

I have gone through many blogs and did google search as well but no one is clear about which brand one should buy.

Requesting you all to advise a brand which is best and durable in nauture.

Thanks in advance.

More about : surge protector

January 25, 2011 7:37:42 AM

Hi dadiggle,

Thanks a lot for your quick and kind reply. Yes, tht APC model does have but I am located in India and don't want to take a chance. Before installing APC I had a generic ups and generic surge protector which is still I am having. generic ups is replaced with APC UPS but don't want to take a chance with generic surge protector. In India power supply is totally unpredictable and sometime fluctuation is also very high.

Requesting you to advise if APC UPS is sufficient enough for this or still I should go for branded and durable surge protector.

Quote:
I notice you have a UPS. Dont it have surge protection on it?

Lightning and Surge Protection
Protection from surges, spikes and even lightning is guaranteed!
Resettable circuit breaker
Instead of a hard to find fuse, there is a push-button circuit breaker for easy recovery from an overload or short circuit.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_i...

yes it does

Score
January 25, 2011 8:21:21 AM

Quote:
Its good enough. its better to get them than the surge protector only. I didnt look but does that one have enough outlets for all your devices?

Surge Protection and Filtering
Surge energy rating
180 Joules
Filtering
Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 5% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449
Data Line Protection<------------------------- Even have protection for your telephone line
RJ-11 Modem/Fax/DSL protection (two wire single line),RJ45 10/100 Base-T Ethernet protection

so vinal verdict is there is no need of buying seperate surge protector right.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2011 1:18:37 PM

APC guarantee's your pc won't be damaged by surge.....whether your in India, US or Ethiopia, it doesn't matter.

If you feel you still need another surge protector, the most important factor is a high Joule rating.
Score
February 12, 2011 3:15:53 PM

geekapproved said:
APC guarantee's your pc won't be damaged by surge.....whether your in India, US or Ethiopia, it doesn't matter.

If you feel you still need another surge protector, the most important factor is a high Joule rating.

Hi,

Today I bought APC UPS BR1000-IN 600W

http://www.apc.com/products/resour [...] _watts=700

After unpacking the UPS I came to know the problem after which I am feeling that I have lost My money for this product.

Each and every plug I have connected to it but when I was connecting MY LCD to it I found that there is one socket missing. In LCD monitor there are two plugs one which is having 3 pin plug and ends with blue cord and this 3 pin I have connected to apc ups but another plug of LCD having hole inside that hole there 3 pins are their, that socket is missing in this UPS and as a result I can not connect My LCD to this UPS. Below is the link which will help you all to guide Me.

http://www.techtree.com/India/Revi [...] 621-3.html

In the above just look at the 1st black socket from the top left hand side. In this socket one cord is connected to cpu and another cord goes to ups but unfortunately this UPS is missing that socket.

Please help Me how to overcome this problem

Thanks In Advance For Your Kind and precious guidance.
Score
February 12, 2011 3:16:25 PM

Quote:
Its good enough. its better to get them than the surge protector only. I didnt look but does that one have enough outlets for all your devices?

Surge Protection and Filtering
Surge energy rating
180 Joules
Filtering
Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 5% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449
Data Line Protection<------------------------- Even have protection for your telephone line
RJ-11 Modem/Fax/DSL protection (two wire single line),RJ45 10/100 Base-T Ethernet protection

Hi,

Today I bought APC UPS BR1000-IN 600W

http://www.apc.com/products/resour [...] _watts=700

After unpacking the UPS I came to know the problem after which I am feeling that I have lost My money for this product.

Each and every plug I have connected to it but when I was connecting MY LCD to it I found that there is one socket missing. In LCD monitor there are two plugs one which is having 3 pin plug and ends with blue cord and this 3 pin I have connected to apc ups but another plug of LCD having hole inside that hole there 3 pins are their, that socket is missing in this UPS and as a result I can not connect My LCD to this UPS. Below is the link which will help you all to guide Me.

http://www.techtree.com/India/Revi [...] 621-3.html

In the above just look at the 1st black socket from the top left hand side. In this socket one cord is connected to cpu and another cord goes to ups but unfortunately this UPS is missing that socket.

Please help Me how to overcome this problem

Thanks In Advance For Your Kind and precious guidance.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 12, 2011 10:25:28 PM

geekapproved said:

Good luck getting that warranty honored. Numerous fine print exemptions could have been listed. But most forget to read beyond big numbers on its box.

View numbers for surge protection. Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. How do hundreds of joules in an APC makes hundreds of thousands of joules just disappear? It doesn't. Protector rated just above zero is sufficient for many to claim it does 100% protection. Junk science conclusions require recommendation without numbers.

Surge protection means a protector connects short (ie 'less than 3 meters') to single point earth ground. No earth ground means no effective protection. APC does not list protection from each type of surge in numeric specs. It cites near zero joules. They know a majority will recommend that as complete protection. Advertising is that effective because so many only think subjectively.

Effective solutions, that make even direct lightning strikes irrelevant, have been understood and routinely implemented for more than 100 years. In every case, no protector does protection. Either a protector connects short to protection. Or effective protection is what exists inside each appliance.
Score
February 13, 2011 5:02:38 AM

Quote:
The link is not working. Give me the name and model of the device please. The device is mean UPS

Hope this link should if not then Model number is BR1000-IN, APC Back-UPS, 600 Watts / 1000 VA,Input 230V

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_i...

My CPU Link,

http://www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Lenovo_3000_H200/...

Hope this time this link should work.

Also a request, if One can not connect it to UPS then requesting you to advise to connect all the cables to UPS because at present I have connected tht cord to another UPS which is of generic and it's battery is dead but it is having that line. When I swithced off the main power, PC goes on APC UPS and CPU works but unfortuantely monitor goes off which is My concern.

Some how I got the link for that as well which is missing in this UPS but it is their in My generic UPS

http://www.connect-indo.com/ups-id/153-apc-ups-br1100ci...

Hope u will get an idea from this and problem which I am facing. My concern is when power goes off at that time not only the CPU but even moitor should work on this UPS.

Please feel free if you required more information.

Thanks 1ce again for your precious time and kind advise.
Score
January 31, 2012 3:00:36 AM

westom said:
Good luck getting that warranty honored. Numerous fine print exemptions could have been listed. But most forget to read beyond big numbers on its box.

View numbers for surge protection. Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. How do hundreds of joules in an APC makes hundreds of thousands of joules just disappear? It doesn't. Protector rated just above zero is sufficient for many to claim it does 100% protection. Junk science conclusions require recommendation without numbers.

Surge protection means a protector connects short (ie 'less than 3 meters') to single point earth ground. No earth ground means no effective protection. APC does not list protection from each type of surge in numeric specs. It cites near zero joules. They know a majority will recommend that as complete protection. Advertising is that effective because so many only think subjectively.

Effective solutions, that make even direct lightning strikes irrelevant, have been understood and routinely implemented for more than 100 years. In every case, no protector does protection. Either a protector connects short to protection. Or effective protection is what exists inside each appliance.

Weston: What routinely implemented lightning protection systems have been known and used effectively for over 100 years? Really? Let me stop you before you claim "ground". Because that is completely inaccurate and complete nonsense. Furthermore, ground even at 5-10 Ohms does not stop the effects of internally generated transients, which are responsible for over 80% of all electrical and electronics damage. So please - in all your wisdom - explain your claims. I do however, agree with your point on the "warranty" many manufactures use - especially the "down-line" protection warranty - most aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 1:57:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!