Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MATX vs ATX

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 2:09:47 AM

What's the difference except for the size?

More about : matx atx

September 26, 2011 2:27:12 AM

depends on the board. sometimes they run cooler, sometimes they run warmer. sometimes they dont overclock as well, sometimes they do. often theres a difference in the amount of pci and pci-e slots. sometimes less usb. the vrm cooler might not be as good, might be.

biggest difference of course is size tho. matx cases get pretty sexy but dont have as much room for hard drives and case fans.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 3:29:14 AM

No much apart from number of pcie, sata, and usb and the size. Do you already have a case?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 3:42:20 AM

Between those boards, the difference is more than ATX v mATX.

The $155 ATX board has better overclockability. Gigabyte often makes mATX and ATX versions of the same board--but these two are not counterparts. Now if you'd be satisfied with a meager 4.2GHz overclock (although it probably can go higher), go with the $115 mATX board. Then you can spend the extra on graphics. It's SLI/CFX compatible, so you're good on that.

If you expect a 4.7GHz OC out of your machine, you should probably spend a couple more bucks. But if your purpose is gaming, more than 4.0GHz with an i5-2500K isn't gonna keep you under 90fps on any games--and your monitor can probably only do 60fps.

EDIT: Btw, make sure your case has solid cooling if you plan on dual card configurations.

Also, this would be the ATX version of that mATX board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And this is the mATX version of that ATX board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 10:31:36 AM

I'm planning to get a HAF 912 case, dual gtx 460's, and i7 2600k
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2011 12:01:26 AM

What are you planning on doing with that system? There's a chance I could save you from wasting a bunch of money. For example--starting out with dual cards is often not the best choice. Also, an i7-2600K doesn't game at better framerates than an i5-2500K.

You're getting the non-SE GTX 460 1GB cards? I guess if you picked those up on the $100 deal a couple days ago, that's a great deal--Although I'd still take a single GTX 560Ti for $183 over dual GTX 460 1GB's for $220 (since only one will get the rebate to make it $100).

Make sure your PSU is a good one. That means Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. (There are some other brands that cost more or tend to be good, like Silverstone, Enermax, or PC Power & Cooling, but me saying this will just complicate things unnecessarily). You'll probably want a 650W one--XFX had a good one for $49.99 after rebate last month.

Get solid RAM so long as it doesn't cost much more. At least 1600CL9 or better: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-b...
4GB is good enough for a gaming machine, but at today's prices, 8GB makes more sense.

As for the OS--don't get Ultimate unless you know what you plan to use the data encryption benefits for.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2011 12:41:07 AM

Okay--well I'll be posting there. We can mull through EVERY part on that page, so we don't need to be too concerned with just the mobo right now.

So you have a MicroCenter nearby? Lucky...

Please respond to me in the other thread as I will probably close this tab.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 12:08:14 AM

Best answer selected by samuelspark.
m
l
!