Worth paying more?

Jucey

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
So im building a computer for a overclock on and Phenom II 555 processor, and probably be running crossfire soon-ish. Im looking at two motherboards, and one is a good bit more than the other, and i was wondering if there was any reasonable reason for me to pay the extra bucks on Asus than the gigabyte. Thanks in advance!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Whether it is worth more depends on what your requirements are.
These 2 boards have different features which is why the price difference.

The Asus board supports 3 way SLI/Crosshair and has UEFI BIOS. It has a beefier heatsink around the CPU so it probably overclocks better. This board is also a Republic of Gamers branded board so it comes with some extra stuff that may/may not be of interest to you.

In the end it just depends on what you want, both are good boards but if you want the added features get the Asus, otherwise get the Gigabit board.

Unless overclocking is a big deal to you or you have a red color scheme and OCD I'd get the Gigabyte board. UEFI BIOS is nice but you don't need an ROG board to get that (can be found in cheaper, non ROG branded Asus boards), and the mobo is almost a Benjamin more in price.

Jucey

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
To the first question, im building on a rather tight budget, so im using the processor i had lying around. To the second post, would the gigabit board still be able to do some reasonable overclocking? nothing extreme, but bumping stuff up a little bit?

beenthere

Distinguished
Based on my 20 years of building high end PCs I can not recommend Asus mobos as IME they are RAM sensitive, over-rated and difficult to fix because Asus has little to no customer support. I've used all the major mobo brands. Gigabyte is the top choice by me and many others including hardware review sites because of the quality and performance of their mobos. Gigabyte mobos are typically good overclockers and very stable, mobos.

You should be very happy with the Gigabyte mobo you selected, IME. It will do SLI/Crossfire with two X16 slots so you're good to go and can obviously update to Bulldozer when you're ready.