Sign in with
Your question

CPU running hot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2011 8:13:51 AM

Hello,I have a compaq 615 with athlon x2 64 dual core processory. A couple of weeks ago i tried installing opensolaris OS on it. During the install process, it kept making this loud beeping noise which i had to mute but even after installation completed the noise did not stop. So formatted and installed windows back. Now because of this, my speakers have stopped working (it was a very loud noise and i smelled some smoke)so probably burnt out but i use head phones so no probs. Now the main problem is that the CPU runs hotter than normal (at around 65-70 celsius) now and jumps up to 90 celsisus quickly when processor is in use. However no interruption in processing and functions of the laptop. What could be causing the CPU to run hot and jump to hotter temp so quickly ? Plz help...no blue screens so far.

More about : cpu running hot

January 25, 2011 8:40:50 AM

Have you opened the case to see if the CPU's cooling fan is still working?
Are there any other fans that may have stopped working?
Is there a large amount of dust built-up on any of the heatsinks and fans in the system?
Has the CPU's heatsink & fan come loose?

All those could cause heat issues, so open it up and inspect your PC. You can even try just opening it up and aiming a house fan at it to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then your system is starving for fresh air, so it's likely you have some serious dust build-up and/or dead intake fan(s).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2011 2:01:57 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Have you opened the case to see if the CPU's cooling fan is still working?
Are there any other fans that may have stopped working?
Is there a large amount of dust built-up on any of the heatsinks and fans in the system?
Has the CPU's heatsink & fan come loose?

All those could cause heat issues, so open it up and inspect your PC. You can even try just opening it up and aiming a house fan at it to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then your system is starving for fresh air, so it's likely you have some serious dust build-up and/or dead intake fan(s).

I have never seen anyone open up a laptop case and point a house fan at the laptop. LOL

Likely your intake or exhaust ports are clogged with dust.
m
l
January 25, 2011 7:00:38 PM

Yeah, its a laptop. The fan still works because when the temp reaches above 75 degrees Celsius, it starts spinning. Its probably a heat sink issue as the, i guess the heat is not being channeled properly. I did clean the exhaust vents. I dont want to open the laptop as its still considerably new but past the warranty. So just to add on the question, can an adapter contribute to temp raise, meaning the adapter might be going bad and its not able to control the voltage hence more power is coming to the CPU ?
m
l
!