Pentium4 cpu which graphics card

metal trades01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello, I have a Pentium 4cpu 2.8Ghz
and 2.8Ghz 960Mb of ram and I'd like to improve the quality when running a v basic flying program.

Solution
The reqs for your software are very minimal consider todays computers. How is the flight sim performing now, with the new card?

As suggested, a cheap motherboard and CPU combo (probably plus RAM, which is very cheap right now) and you will have no problems. The 9600 pro card is at least 5 generations old, sorry to say but that was a waste of money considering there are modern cards that cost $50 that will outperform it handily.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Find a clearance Core 2 Duo computer, or a newer AMD machine. I still run a Pentium 4, but it is a P4 670 3.8GHz that I got used for $20. It is okay, but a Core 2 Duo above 2.2 GHz can still outperform it easily. It is a waste of time to upgrade.

Even if you got only $100, you can find a good used tower with a core 2 duo 2.5GHz CPU on eBay.

metal trades01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

HI there thanks for all the responses....Here is some more info and a further question....
-The simulator is a "clear view rc fight simulator"
-They recommend a min 1Ghz CPU & 128MB 3d video card and they suggest using a ATI9600 PRO video card. Which I have since (before reading the responses) bought on ebay (used $50).

Will using this video card create a bottle neck? (using window's XP)
and if so..
How do I fix the bottleneck for minimal expense?
I really appreciate the info:) your welcome to give me a few options.

festerovic

Distinguished
The reqs for your software are very minimal consider todays computers. How is the flight sim performing now, with the new card?

As suggested, a cheap motherboard and CPU combo (probably plus RAM, which is very cheap right now) and you will have no problems. The 9600 pro card is at least 5 generations old, sorry to say but that was a waste of money considering there are modern cards that cost $50 that will outperform it handily.

Solution

festerovic

Distinguished
LOL at the author of the faqs for clear view:

The fact that the crashes are real and costly can make your brain freese and that does not help a lot.

I forgot to mention, if you have 9600 pro, it is likely an AGP graphics card. That really limits what you can buy as an upgrade. You also want OpenGl 2.0 as a feature. While there are newer AGP cards to buy, they don't have OpenGl 2.0 which the author says allows for the water scenes.

So, upgrade to cheap motherboard/cpu combo - maybe $60-75. And a cheap PCI express card that does what you want $50. Add a gig or two of ram at $40.

metal trades01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

festerovic

Distinguished
the crashes are costly thing - that came from the website of your RC flight sim. I thought the author said something funny.

Clear view sort of recommended it. They gave you a link to tomshardware, to the Best Graphic card for the money of 2007. They also said the requirements for the Clear view RC flight sim needed a directx 9 capable card with opengl 2.0 and at least 128mb of ram to run the water scenes (which I guess you do, since it would be cool).

So, the 9600 pro card is not capable of doing the water scenes according to them. Its the minimum spec to run the software and have it display something. Since you just bought that card today, you should try running the software with your new card when it arrives and see how it goes. I think it will actually run ok, except for the water scenes, but you may not need to to learn to fly the glider.

metal trades01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for your advise mate. I have been using FMS (free flying model simulator) for the past week and using my system with the mother board based graphic's it difficult to see which way the glider is heading when there is a bit of distance. It was suggested to me to get the Clear view program as it is also far more realistic.

Not been able to see the water isn't an issue. I'd like to learn how to fly the glider here so I can go and fly the model in the park. I understand its the minimum they spec. I bought it on ebay from a dealer, the cheapest I could find. If it allows the program to run (which I can't at the moment) and works for a month whilst I learn the basic's. . it's done its job.

I should have the card in a few days. I'll put the card in the pc and see what happens.

Running this pc Pentium 4. 2.8 Ghz, 960 MB of RAM and the 9600PRO video card, will it bottle neck somewhere?

metal trades01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Hi Mate,
Its a Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz and I have bought a TYAN A77 RADEON 9600PRO 128MB APG Video card on ebay for $50 cheapest I could find from a dealer. The card will arrive in a few day's :) .
The program I'd like to run is Clear View fight simulator. The minimum system requirements are 1Ghz CPU & 128MB 3D video card and they say quote "Any video card that is above or equal to ATI 9600 PRO will work well with Clear View".
I'm on a budget ;) and I'm setting this up so I can learn to fly the model I have bought, so it needs to work reasonably well I guess. but I don't imagine the simulator will get a lot of use, once I'm flying the model.

I'm trying to avoid getting the Video card which leads to another issue/bottle neck :pt1cable: - in the pc and there is another wait to fix that.. Will the system bottleneck somewhere?