Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help! BSoD

Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2010 5:29:15 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware!

So I wasn't sure where to post this question but hopefully people can help me here. I built my first computer about a month ago and everything has been more or less running smoothly. However, my computer started to get the blue screen of death in the middle of when I am playing SC II. It did happen once or twice after I first built my computer but after restarting, it would go away. However it now happens more and more frequently. I can't seem to play for more than 10 mins or so without my computer eventually crashing. I figured I should try to run memtest86 to check if i had errors. Can anyone give me a real quick overview of what to do with memtest? I could also use help when they ask you to input the CPU type? I have an i7 930 and so should i input multiple cpus since it has 4 cores? Also, if this doesn't work, how can I test to see if my graphics card and graphics card memory is working properly? Thanks for everyones help!

More about : bsod

a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2010 6:12:22 AM

Just download memtest then burn the iso to disk then boot the computer with the dvd in it with the bios set to boot from dvd.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 31, 2010 6:57:24 AM

Clearly you haven't run the basic stress tests, so this would be a good time to do them.

Download Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor, links in this list:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overc...

Run Prime95 with "Detect Rounding Errors" checked for 1-2 hours and watch cpu temps using Hardware Monitor. Stop the run if temps exceed 75C. If Prime95 stops or crashes, we'll be looking for a memory issue. Prime95 will detect a memory issue more often than memtest.

Run Furmark and watch temps again. Stop the run if gpu temp consistently exceeds 95C.

If those succeed, run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously for 15 minutes. Watch temps very carefully.

Let us know what happens.
Related resources
October 31, 2010 8:39:50 AM

You do not indicate what make of video card you have, still you might try uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers, just be sure to do a complete shutdown between removal and reinstall.:) 
m
l
November 1, 2010 1:23:18 AM

Twoboxer said:
Clearly you haven't run the basic stress tests, so this would be a good time to do them.

Run Prime95 with "Detect Rounding Errors" checked for 1-2 hours and watch cpu temps using Hardware Monitor. Stop the run if temps exceed 75C. If Prime95 stops or crashes, we'll be looking for a memory issue. Prime95 will detect a memory issue more often than memtest.

Run Furmark and watch temps again. Stop the run if gpu temp consistently exceeds 95C.

If those succeed, run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously for 15 minutes. Watch temps very carefully.

ahh thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to try this out tomorrow and ill be sure to post what happens. thanks!
m
l
November 1, 2010 1:24:05 AM

dokk2 said:
You do not indicate what make of video card you have, still you might try uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers, just be sure to do a complete shutdown between removal and reinstall.:) 

sorry about that. I have a msi gtx 460 1gb OC cyclone. and i just did the video driver thing and plan on doing the stress tests tomorrow. thanks!
m
l
November 1, 2010 4:14:31 AM

Twoboxer said:

I just ran Prime95 for 1 hour and 56 mins with no errors. Just ran the stability test in furmark with nothing wrong for about 15 mins. Max temp was about 60 C. Together, it ran without errors but the furmark was not nearly as smooth as when I ran it alone. (max cpu core temp was 61C and the max GPU temp was 55C) I am assuming it is because the cpu was pretty stressed with the prime95. But no temps exceeded. What do you think I should do from here? Or could it be that reinstalling the drivers did the trick? Thanks for your help =]
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 5:39:46 AM

Well, you are fairly certain now the issue isn't/wasn't hardware related.

Yes, the combined stress test is a heckuva load lol.

Keep track of what we've done, and wait to see if it fails again lol.
m
l
November 1, 2010 2:49:25 PM

Twoboxer said:
Well, you are fairly certain now the issue isn't/wasn't hardware related.

Yes, the combined stress test is a heckuva load lol.

Keep track of what we've done, and wait to see if it fails again lol.

haha ok thanks for the help. i appreciate it.
m
l
November 1, 2010 2:50:50 PM

Best answer selected by kosaku30.
m
l
!