USB storage device

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b G Storage
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 4:42:42 AM

Hi all,

I bought a 1GB USB storage device (Flash drive), the make of it is
A-DATA My Flash. I mainly use this on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Laptop,
when I got the memorystick 1st it worked perfectly, allthough after a
few days my computed stoped reading it as a storage device, but just as
an unknown device that I could not view. This was particularly strange
as all other storage and USB devices worked perfect in my computer and
my storage device worked in all other computers. I contacted Siemens
technical support and they eventually suggested formatting the computer
and re-loading windows. After this my memorystick worked again. After a
few weeks the problem re-occured. It is now reading it again as an
unknown device.
If possible I want to avoid formatting my computer again.
My operating system is Windows XP.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colm.

More about : usb storage device

Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 12:49:56 PM

When anybody tells you format and reload OS, what he's realling saying
is "I have no idea what could be wrong, and I don't have the time to
walk you through every tests, and I need to pick up my next customer
call."
Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2005 12:51:12 PM

On 18 Jan 2005 01:42:42 -0800, cwynnes@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I bought a 1GB USB storage device (Flash drive), the make of it is
>A-DATA My Flash.

I'd bet a pcmcia-flash is a better performing combo.
Related resources
January 18, 2005 8:41:41 PM

cwynnes@hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

Good lord, my first suggestion is not to call Siemens support again!
Re-formatting/reinstalling Windows is a drastic step to be taken only
as a last resort.

I'm still a little confused as to exactly what you are saying the
problem is. You have a memory stick as well as a 1GB USB flash drive?
But since you got the flash drive, the memory stick has stopped being
recognized? Or do you mean "flash drive" and "memory stick" to be the
same thing?

Sounds to me like some sort of driver conflict. Have you gone into
Device Manager (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware (tab)) to look at
your device status once you have plugged in the unrecognized card?
You may see a yellow (!) next to one of the devices indicating it is
not working.

Have you done a Windows Update to get all the latest patches to
Windows XP? Sometimes Windows Update will install updated drivers,
too.

Did you go to the Fujitsu or Siemens website to get updates for your
laptop itself?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b G Storage

cwynnes@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a 1GB USB storage device (Flash drive), the make of it is
> A-DATA My Flash. I mainly use this on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Laptop,
> when I got the memorystick 1st it worked perfectly, allthough after a
> few days my computed stoped reading it as a storage device, but just
> as an unknown device that I could not view. This was particularly
> strange as all other storage and USB devices worked perfect in my
> computer and my storage device worked in all other computers. I
> contacted Siemens technical support and they eventually suggested
> formatting the computer and re-loading windows. After this my
> memorystick worked again. After a few weeks the problem re-occured.
> It is now reading it again as an unknown device.
> If possible I want to avoid formatting my computer again.
> My operating system is Windows XP.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Colm.

If you connect several memory devices to USB, the drive letter
assignment might be confused. Connect it, open Administrative Tools,
Computer Management, Storage Management, and if it is there change the
drive letter to something near Z:. If that doesn't work, then open
device manager and remove all instances of Generic Volume and reboot.
If that still doesn't work, remove the USB root hubs, then the USB host
controllers, and reboot.

a b G Storage
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2005 12:01:28 PM

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for replying, sorry about the sketchy description, I mean the
flash drive and the memory stick as one thing, ive went into device
manager and found no yellow (!), all it says is unknown device, I have
installed the windows service pack 2 but it was in vein, Both the
memory stick and the Laptop are under gaurantee, but neither
manufacturers will take the blame for the problem, Any ideas where the
fault lies or is it just some bad luck that i have to grin and bear,
Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colm
January 20, 2005 12:23:34 AM

cwynnes@hotmail.com wrote:
: Hey Andrew,
: Thanks for replying, sorry about the sketchy description, I mean the
: flash drive and the memory stick as one thing, ive went into device
: manager and found no yellow (!), all it says is unknown device, I have
: installed the windows service pack 2 but it was in vein, Both the
: memory stick and the Laptop are under gaurantee, but neither
: manufacturers will take the blame for the problem, Any ideas where the
: fault lies or is it just some bad luck that i have to grin and bear,

If you see your Memory Stick come up as "unknown device" try removing
it in Device Manager. Then Windows should immediately try to
re-install a driver, and that may have the same effect as you got
re-installing Windows(!). See if that works. At worst, you may need
to remove-and-auto-re-install that driver every once in a while.

I would look for updated drivers for the laptop chipset and/or the USB
drivers. If you do a Windows Update, does Windows show any updated
drivers for your hardware? Even so, you might also look for the
latest drivers for the Memory Stick from Sony's website - or look for
troubleshootintg tips there.

Another possibility - if this becomes really annoying - is to get a
USB 2.0 PC Card for your PC Card slot. You can get these for under
$20 now if you look. It's kind of a pain to have to get one of these
just because of a software issue, but it might solve your problem.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----