Nikon 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want something I can keep "on" me and get decent shots when I can't haul
around my whole kit...DSLR and includes lenses from itsy-close on up to 'way
off. (sorry, I get tired of techno-speak(-; ) The point is, it's lots o'
gear.
I have been doing a lot of documentary work lately, and I am already hauling
a camcorder around.
Anyway, I am looking at the Nikon 8800. Or the 8400. Any comments?

Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
> I want something I can keep "on" me and get decent shots when I can't
> haul around my whole kit...DSLR and includes lenses from itsy-close
> on up to 'way off. (sorry, I get tired of techno-speak(-; ) The
> point is, it's lots o' gear.
> I have been doing a lot of documentary work lately, and I am already
> hauling a camcorder around.
> Anyway, I am looking at the Nikon 8800. Or the 8400. Any comments?

Mainly wide-angle and fast focussing? 8400.

Mainly telephoto? 8800

The 8400 may well be the more general purpose camera, and it's smaller and
lighter. The 24mm wide-angle may get you more involved with your subject.

Cheers,
David

On 1/11/05 2:05 PM, in article 34ips7F4c0vkoU1@individual.net, "David J
Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
>> I want something I can keep "on" me and get decent shots when I can't
>> haul around my whole kit...DSLR and includes lenses from itsy-close
>> on up to 'way off. (sorry, I get tired of techno-speak(-; ) The
>> point is, it's lots o' gear.
>> I have been doing a lot of documentary work lately, and I am already
>> hauling a camcorder around.
>> Anyway, I am looking at the Nikon 8800. Or the 8400. Any comments?
>
> Mainly wide-angle and fast focussing? 8400.
>
> Mainly telephoto? 8800
>
> The 8400 may well be the more general purpose camera, and it's smaller and
> lighter. The 24mm wide-angle may get you more involved with your subject.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks!

Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
> I want something I can keep "on" me and get decent shots when I can't haul
> around my whole kit...DSLR and includes lenses from itsy-close on up to 'way
> off. (sorry, I get tired of techno-speak(-; ) The point is, it's lots o'
> gear.
> I have been doing a lot of documentary work lately, and I am already hauling
> a camcorder around.
> Anyway, I am looking at the Nikon 8800. Or the 8400. Any comments?

It's the camera I'd buy if I wasn't going to buy a Pentax *ist DS. I preferred
the 8800 over the Oly 8080.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:05:26 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
>> I want something I can keep "on" me and get decent shots when I can't
>> haul around my whole kit...DSLR and includes lenses from itsy-close
>> on up to 'way off. (sorry, I get tired of techno-speak(-; ) The
>> point is, it's lots o' gear.
>> I have been doing a lot of documentary work lately, and I am already
>> hauling a camcorder around.
>> Anyway, I am looking at the Nikon 8800. Or the 8400. Any comments?
>
>Mainly wide-angle and fast focussing? 8400.
>
>Mainly telephoto? 8800
>
>The 8400 may well be the more general purpose camera, and it's smaller and
>lighter. The 24mm wide-angle may get you more involved with your subject.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Please don't put your question in the title.

If you have a long zoom lens, do you want to be without image
stabilisation?

You could also ask for comparative comments in:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

David

Why should a person not put a question in the subject?

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Please don't put your question in the title.
>
> If you have a long zoom lens, do you want to be without image
> stabilisation?
>
> You could also ask for comparative comments in:
>
> rec.photo.digital.zlr
>
> David

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:28:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "cambium"
<info@bimo.com> wrote:

>Why should a person not put a question in the subject?

Specifically, in this case you replied to a message, changed the
subject and put absolutely nothing in the message itself. People who
use a real threaded newsreader will have it listed under the thread of
the original subject. There is absolutely nothing to quote in the
reply as well.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com