4 Bit + Nv4_disp errors

Baber786

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hi,

My Windows XP Is stuck on 4 bit color mode and 640x480. When i try to change higher resolution / color mode it normally gives me blue screen of death nv4_disp with nvidia drivers. without the drivers installed i dont get blue screen when i change it it just reverts back to 640x480 and 4 bit color. something to do with drivers. I unistalled driver and removed all traces of it with driver sweeper and then reinstalling them. I tried latest/older ones but without luck i'm still stuck with 4 bit. I have 2 partitions 1 backup and other system. I formatted win xp and reinstalled but problem still there. I even get 4 bit dell boot up screen in the loading bar i see dots and then when win xp loading appears i see background with dots its like its 4 bit in my dell screen boot up too. Its not my graphics card or monitor they both work fine. Yesterday I managed to fixed it but then i got it the 4 bit again :/. I removed the drivers and installed older ones it worked fine i restarted pc all the dots were gone . dell screen boot up was normal no dots.Was fine till I played mw2 for about 10 secs i was ingame all working fine then i got the nv4_disp BSOD and it was 4 bit again. If i got it fixed and plus i palyed mw2 all textures loaded i was ingame so it cant be graphics card dead? It has to to be some drivers conflicts or something. I tried the same again unistall/installing drivers again but it didnt work.

With Nvidia drivers installed i cannot boot up my pc normally only safe mode. If do try to boot it up normally with nvidia drivers i get nv4_disp Blue screen something about infinite loop. The only way i can bootup normally is without nvidia drivers installed.

Dell XPS Gen 5 A04.
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 213135 MB, Free - 197808 MB; D: Total - 25227 MB, Free - 11226 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0GC068, , ..CN7082154K008G.
Chipset: i955X.

Baber786

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I dont have a another PC with a PCI-E Slot.
My friends are ps3/xbox gamers none of them will have a good pc with specs to test 9800gt.

Isnt There any other way to test it?

Kari

Splendid
I had somewhat similar problem when I reinstalled XP (with sp1, original cd) some time ago on an older system. If I installed the latest nv drivers straight away on the fresh windows, it would get stuck at 4 bits and some very low resolution after the reboot. The solution was to first fully update windows xp and only after that would the nv drivers work correctly. It might have been some .net enviroment thingie or something that was needed, not sure what exactly...

Baber786

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

I thinks its my monitor. i just ordered a dvi to vga so i could test my other monitor on this graphics card.