Sign in with
Your question

Optiplex GX240

Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2011 2:12:08 PM

Just acquired a dell optiplex gx240 (bleh) and am looking for parts for it. I am trying to find out what the best CPU to put in is. I have already come to understand thats its 845G chipset only supports up to 533MHz FSB, but I have found conflicting info on the frequencies, caches, and cores (ie, prescott) supported. Can anyone help me?

Also, I was wondering if a 3.06ghz/533/1M northwood is better than a 2.8ghz/533/1M prescott is better. Because I believe I already have that prescott lying around, and i f so, it may turn out to be the best one, unless the info on supported CPU's so far is wrong.

If you find anything please source it for assurance.

More about : optiplex gx240

a b à CPUs
January 25, 2011 3:21:18 PM

looking at this link to to dell support
it looks like a P4 2.6 is highest supported
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/e...
and looking at this List of Intel Chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Pen...
and looking at this list of pentium 4 cpus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_mi...
it looks like the Pentium 4 2.53 SL6D8 533FSB is the fastest that is supported.
I didnt dig that deep but I thought that the higher end northwood and prescotts were 800mhz FSB which your chipset doesnt support.
I hope this helps
January 26, 2011 2:30:55 AM

somewhat, but also somewhat contrary to the info ive recieved from others. I did look at the dell page you showed me, but Im not exactly inclined to believe that, seeing as that info may be outdated and it doesnt necessarily state that other CPU's arent compatible; it just lists known compatible ones.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 2:41:28 AM

Up until recently, most manufacturers lock their BIOS from upgrading to items the company isn't inclined to support. Even if the chipset can handle 800MHz FSB and higher speed CPUs, the BIOS may actually lock you out of doing do. So the manufacturer website lists only models that are supported officially by the installed BIOS. If they do not have an updated BIOS to allow you to change to a later CPU, then it will not work unless you get a custom BIOS made. And playing with a custom BIOS can be very bad news if you don't do it right. You will turn your system into a brick.
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 5:19:31 AM

I have upgrade a couple of Dells with new cpus and I usually will go on Ebay and Amazon and see what the models have there have in them.
I upgraded an Dell Precision 450 from Xeon 3.06 to Xeon 3.2 and upgraded an Optiplex 745 from Pentium D 945 to Core2Duo E4300.
With OEM machines you cant go too far outside of what the OEM put in.
If you got the chip laying around and want to try throwing it in there the worst that usually happens will be the BIOS saying unsupported chip.
But if your going to spend money on it then it is better to be cautious.
The GX240 was made around 2002 or so and there is only some much you can do.
I have refurbished about 30 GX260s to sell as internet browsing computers to beginners and kids.
Those machines are really browsers,email checkers,light office programs and CD rippers.
I gave you those links to help you out.
Be careful of forums with people claiming to do mods since some are BSers.
I saw on a forum that somebody put a Q6600 in a Dell 745 and looked on Intel official site and the chipset absolutely did not support it.
People on forums sometimes tell "tall tales"
you would be better off using it for light duty work and saving up for a newer cheap system.
In US on Craigslist you can find AMD dual cores and LGA775 Core2Duo/Pentium D used sytems for under $200 if you dont want to build one yourself.
I picked up a Dell Optiplex 745 for $75 USD spent 60 bucks upgrading it and it
is a good office,multimedia,light gaming tower.
Or if you save up and slowly buy parts one at a time you can make a nice AMD
system cheap nowadays.
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 3:38:41 PM

The GX240's chipset (Intel 845) will support a 533FSB, but the BIOS will not allow it. The fastest CPU the machine will technically use is a P4 2.6 / 512k / 400FSB processor, provided you're running the A05 BIOS. There is a Pentium 4 2.8 / 512k / 400FSB processor, but it was only an OEM part, and I dont think the BIOS will support it's microcode.

January 27, 2011 2:54:13 AM

How do you know the bios wont support it? I cant find any list of processor's dells latest 2002 bios supports for that machine, nor does the link given to me show FSB speeds. Does anyone have any info on this? King smp seems to believe it supports 533mhz.

Also, I can get a pentium 4 for 20 bucks or less, im not worried about price unless I have to buy two. thats why i want it right the first time.
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2011 12:15:15 PM

Charlemagne_3 said:
How do you know the bios wont support it?

Because I can read?

a b à CPUs
January 28, 2011 8:47:42 AM

I don't know exactly what Dell will say, but I know what HP would say if you called them about a P4 machine. They would charge you $75 on your credit card just to ask them a question like that over the phone.
:D  haha
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2011 2:21:27 PM

Charlemagne_3 said:
Thanks alot, ill contact dell to make sure this info is 100% accurate and if they say yes then i will install as you say.

I'm not sure why you have to "call dell and make sure info is 100% accurate", king smp linked the exact tech sheet for your machine on Dell's website.
January 29, 2011 4:24:47 PM

mavroxur said:
I'm not sure why you have to "call dell and make sure info is 100% accurate", king smp linked the exact tech sheet for your machine on Dell's website.

Its possible the data sheet may be out of date.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2011 9:19:37 PM

Charlemagne_3 said:
Its possible the data sheet may be out of date.

Chances are that the data sheets to systems that have been out of production for 8 years aren't going to change much......
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2011 9:47:31 PM

^+1 LMAO!
January 30, 2011 6:07:38 AM

mavroxur said:
Chances are that the data sheets to systems that have been out of production for 8 years aren't going to change much......

Considering its been out for 8 years, it may not have been updated.
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2011 6:15:36 AM

Updated for what? They quit building the machine 8 years ago. It's not like the machine will continue to grow and evolve in the wild........
January 30, 2011 6:23:24 AM

Peace :whistle: 
January 31, 2011 2:25:57 AM

mavroxur said:
Updated for what? They quit building the machine 8 years ago. It's not like the machine will continue to grow and evolve in the wild........

They could easily forgotten to update the data sheet.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 4:19:25 AM

I don't think they would forget to update the page if they made a later BIOS. But I don't think they would have made a later BIOS because they discontinued the machine and moved to different chipsets and sockets. They will not update the BIOS unless they want to support upgrades on it, and believe me, they don't.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 12:20:30 PM

R.I.P 2003 Technology...... R.I.P
February 7, 2011 8:34:35 PM

1965ohio said:
I don't think they would forget to update the page if they made a later BIOS. But I don't think they would have made a later BIOS because they discontinued the machine and moved to different chipsets and sockets. They will not update the BIOS unless they want to support upgrades on it, and believe me, they don't.

Sometimes company info is wrong. I have an eMachines t3990 and i have recieved incorrect information from the manufacturer, so I dont see why its so unbelievable that dell may be wrong.
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 10:33:13 PM

R.I.P this thread

Let it go man
select a best answer and move on
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 2:12:36 AM

Charlemagne_3 said:
Sometimes company info is wrong. I have an eMachines t3990 and i have recieved incorrect information from the manufacturer, so I dont see why its so unbelievable that dell may be wrong.

If you can't find an updated BIOS on their website that will allow you to run 533FSB, then you will not find one. If they do have another BIOS that is not posted, likely you will need to pay tech support to get it. If they do not update the free downloads site, then you need to pay if they did have it. Case closed. :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2011 12:32:25 PM

1965ohio said:
If you can't find an updated BIOS on their website that will allow you to run 533FSB, then you will not find one. If they do have another BIOS that is not posted, likely you will need to pay tech support to get it. If they do not update the free downloads site, then you need to pay if they did have it. Case closed. :pt1cable: 

You could've just told OP to wish in one hand..... and.... well you know how the rest goes... :-)

February 19, 2011 2:58:44 AM

mavroxur said:
You could've just told OP to wish in one hand..... and.... well you know how the rest goes... :-)

Hey Guys I have a GX240 and man I love this thread, it started off really good full of great info then degraded into a full blown tit for tat with a die hard I just can't say "I don't know what I'm talking about and say thanks", and then move on." cham Wow Main should just give it up and accept under the bus spead it does say 100/400 max and they're not going to update it. As far as the BIOS there is a guy who might have one or be able to do it; http://biosman.com/. But why, just throw a $20.00 dollar warrantied china special in it like I'm gonna do. If it works great, if it doesn't so what, I'll throw my old P4 in it and get a new system and use this one for surfin etc like someone here in the thread said.

I do know that the P4 2.6Ghz 512/800 will NOT work in this machine, I put a brand new sealed in a box in it and it came up bus speed error.

If the new 2.6Ghz 512/400 works I'll post it. It should take about a week for me to get one in and find the time to install it. Yall have fun and keep up the great come backs, it's what actually got me to send this post instead of gleaning the info and moving on. I mean like my son and I were all over the floor about to puke from laughing so hard! :lol: 

a b à CPUs
February 19, 2011 3:45:34 AM

Cool
I am glad you got a good laugh :) 
I hope you stick around.
There are some really smart forum members on
here with good info.
Of course the classic AMD Vs. Intel and Nvidia Vs. Ati/AMD
threads are always fun to read.
If you decide to buy an OEM and get one used
look into the Optiplex 745/755s
They were bought in bulk by companies and institutions
and are starting to get cheap on US Craigslist.
THe 745 handles low end Core2Duos
and the 755 will do Core2Quads.
Though the best bang for buck is building a AMD system
from scratch.
March 4, 2011 1:55:19 AM

CPU Upgrade:
Ok as promised I got my new CPU in, I installed a P4 Socket 478 2.8Ghz/ 512 Cache/ 400 FSB(SL7EY). Use the last info in the parenthesies to do a search for the chip. It works great!
I bought it off ebay from Chris at:
http://stores.ebay.com/home-made-computers21?_trksid=p4...

Chris was a pretty cool guy, I had so many questions in my emails he just sent me his home phone. We talked about Comps for awhile and even offered me a refund or a swap if the CPU didn't work. I did cost $40.00 bucks but it was tested and came with a waranty. He deals in a lot of older stuff but does fix the newer stuff too. Be nice to the man and he'll fill your ears. I even said my Dell is only rated at 2.6Ghz he said a 2.8 would work fine. I ran it under the A01 bios and upgraded it to A05 and it ran under both. If you intend to run the Bios update make sure you have the A drive hooked up and a blank disk. It was very easy and I didn't notice anything different.

Video upgrade:
Well bad news here so far. I installed a PNY GeForce 8400 GS PCI slot (NOT PCI-E express) and it did not work.

A little dialog if you please:
This computer does not have the PCI-E slot and it won't work for those of you out there who would love to try. If you do get it to work HE HE please let the rest of the world know how you laid hands on it and got it to heal itself. Ok off subject here, back to the video card.

A little backgound info:
Although I sould have bought an AGP I did choose the PCI over it for two reasons:
1. I plan to get rid of this computer some day & I wanted to run the PCI on the new computer. Now before all you guys say, "Just buy a new computer!", guys let me get in there and say this card ran Bethesda's Fallout 3 on high graphics with barely any lag. We dropped it down a notch and had no lag at all. He is a seriouse gamer and said he was really inpressed with the card.
2. If the card worked in the Dell I could hold on to the computer a little longer or continue to use it in the computer and just simply buy a better computer when I have the cash.
3. I could put it in my wife's machine for here to use. Ok that was 3 not 2 reasons!

Things we tried to get it to work but to no avail on the Dell GX240, but may help in other machines:
1. F2 setup Integrated stuff left it on AGP and installed the card.
We left the monitor hooked up to the AGP card. Then loaded the nVidia drivers, it recognized the Card on set up and in the Device Manager under Video Adapter. Then we rebooted with monitor hooked up to the GeForce (PCI slot) video card. During the boot up it recognised the card and it's ram. When the windows screen was supposed to come up it went to the black screen of death.

2. F2 Setup set the video to Auto and left the AGP in, and the monitor still hooked up to the GeForce PCI Video card again it recognized it but gave the black screen of death when windows went to boot. By the way Dell Pheonix Bios does not give any other options for Video except AGP & Auto for the Dell GX240 model.

3. Went back to setup no 1 except we left the GeForce card in and hooked up to the AGP Card booted up in windows then set device manager Video adapters to disable ATI graphics adapter. Then rebooted with the monitor connected to the GeForce Video card, again black screen of death. We tried some more variations but came to the conclusion that either the chipset or biose did not like the nVidia card. My IT guy said that some computer manufactures in the past would set up their systems to favor certian hardware manufactures to get good deals on the hardware. This was good and bad. Good for you in that the computer would cost less but bad in that your flexability is limited. Hence do some research before you buy and get what you want.

Future Video upgrade:
I'm looking into buying a nice ATI Dual DVI 512mb or higher AGP video card and see if it will run an ATI AGP, since that's what's in there, only at a lower ram and speed. When I get it in I'll post the results for you dinosuar upgraders like me. As for you newer computer guys out there, face it some of us have seriously limited budgets and dropping a $100.00 bucks is alot and $350.00 and up to play a video game, well it's not gonna happen for a year or two for some of us. So we buy cool 3yr old games and buy old used stuff and eat our cake later instead of today. It may not be glamorous but we still get to have a lot of fun. The other good part about this for you more up to date guys is you get relearn some of this stuff you can fix you girlfriends piece of junk or your cheap friends systems like me.
Well until next time or the next suceessful Dinosaur upgrade I'll be seeing you later.

Ps Presario SR1200NX:
Before you ask about the PNY GeForce 8400 GS it did find a home in my Compaq Presario SR1200NX 2.0Ghz Sempron with 1Gb of PC2100/PC2700 mixed 512mb DDR RAM. It runs the Command & Conquer "The First Decade" on the highest resolution for General and some of the other games. It will run it on the highest setting for Renegade but has a little lag.

PSS if anyone knows if I can run a faster AMD CPU in it let me know. Also I have seen stores selling 2GB of Ram for the Compaq Presario SR1200NX. The system only says it holds 1GB. If it will hold 2Gb let me know would ya. Thanks Al B. Slidell, La.
June 10, 2011 9:32:38 PM

I too bought the PCI 8400 GS, same reasons as you, older system, no dedicated graphics bus, so I made do with what I had. One thing I discovered is the 8400 GS, because it's on a limited (and shared) PCI bus, doesn't play well with other PCI cards. You'll need to take out ALL OTHER expansion cards to get it to work.

After you try that, if it still isn't working, try taking out your AGP card and booting off the PCI card.
!