Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Give me some feedback on the parts for new build, please! [UPDATE]

Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2010 11:21:47 AM

Hi, I'm planning on building my first computer since I took a class in high school a decade ago and at the same time switching back to Windows from Macs since it looks like the OS has improved quite a bit over the Win98 machine I used off and on until 2007. I'm planning on ordering the parts about mid December.

The purpose of this machine will be mainly for media encoding, media playback, and internet browsing. I've gone with the Phenom II X6 for quicker encoding and to be something that will last awhile so I can stick it in a AM3+ board to spread out the upgrade costs. I've got a big hard drive so I'll have space for a bunch of stuff I've got on an Apple Time Capsule, a second one for backup and an SSD for booting.

Any thoughts? My parts list is here.

Best solution

October 31, 2010 12:37:37 PM

Here are a few recommendations:

1) Go with is MOBO instead at the same price: ASRock Extreme3 AM3 770 - Gives you USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0Gb/s support.

2) Save the $99 and go with the System Builder version of the OS. It isn't worth it for the full version IMO.

3) I would get a much more reliable PSU besides Rosewill. I would recommend this one: Corsair CMPSU-550VX - Gives you more than enough power for your system.

4) With the money saved by going with the OEM version of the OS, I would upgrade to a larger capacity and faster SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD

October 31, 2010 1:27:23 PM

The 770 doesn't have onboard video
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2010 2:11:46 PM

zooted said:
The 770 doesn't have onboard video

Good catch... I thought I looked at that. I guess the OP's original board is good to go since it sounds like they will be upgrading to AM3+ down the road.
m
l
November 1, 2010 1:42:41 PM

Thank you for the advice! I've got a second parts list I've been working on right here. It's a bit more pricey, but I went with a studier case, another mobo and changed a few other parts around. Does this look okay to everyone?
m
l
November 9, 2010 2:18:10 AM

Best answer selected by JonathanDP81.
m
l
!