Which ram to choose?

apuxx

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I'm planning to build a new i3 2100 system.
My specs are:Asus p8h61 m le motherboard
Intel core i3 2100
Segate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb

NOW, this is where I'm facing some problem to choose the correct alternative for me.
I'm planning of to buy G Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4gbrl but my motherboard supports only 1333Mhz while it is 1600Mhz.I want to run my memory in dual channel mode.I want to know if this ram will be supported by my mobo in dual channel mode.
If not then please suggest me some of those which will be supported by my motherboard in dual channel mode and which would give me best results.I have googled but can't conclude about that.

Thanks in advance and any reply or suggestion would be appreciated.

Solution
Faster RAM will also run at slower speeds. The advertised RAM speed is the fastest that the RAM was tested at stable. All PC's boot at the default CPU/RAM speed or the speed programmed into the DIMM SPD unless you change the BIOS settings. To run the RAM at a higher speed you need to go into the BIOS and select XMP (for Intel CPUs only), or manually change the BIOS settings to see if the RAM will run at a faster speed with your CPU/mobo.

To run in dual channel you need two or four DIMMs. A matched, tested RAM kit of two 4 GB. DIMMs is the preferred RAM capacity and configuration. The RAM you list should be fine if all you desire is 4 GB. total. Otherwise pick ONE 8 GB. kit of 2x 4 GB. DIMMs.

beenthere

Distinguished
Faster RAM will also run at slower speeds. The advertised RAM speed is the fastest that the RAM was tested at stable. All PC's boot at the default CPU/RAM speed or the speed programmed into the DIMM SPD unless you change the BIOS settings. To run the RAM at a higher speed you need to go into the BIOS and select XMP (for Intel CPUs only), or manually change the BIOS settings to see if the RAM will run at a faster speed with your CPU/mobo.

To run in dual channel you need two or four DIMMs. A matched, tested RAM kit of two 4 GB. DIMMs is the preferred RAM capacity and configuration. The RAM you list should be fine if all you desire is 4 GB. total. Otherwise pick ONE 8 GB. kit of 2x 4 GB. DIMMs.

Solution

apuxx

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

First of all thanks Bro.
I understood what you're saying but the reason why I asked these question was that I'm passionate about G skill but when i referred to the Asus site to know the ram compatibility I was unable to find these Ram.
Do you prefer to refer this site to know the Ram compatibility in future.
once again THANKS.

Just because the RAM isn't on the QVL from the motherboard doesn't mean that it won't work, only that it hasn't been tested in that motherboard.

Go to the G.Skill site and use their memory configurater to see if they have tested the memory in that motherboard.

Good Luck!

apuxx

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I have checked their site and they haven't listed any H61 chipset mobo.In some cases they have listed H61 but none of the H61 motherboard are listed there.
They have made it all mess.
Other option is Corsair xms3.They say that it would support any mobo which has dual channel support.
So what do you prefer and if there is any Corsair memory configurater then please inform me.

There is a Corsair configureater on the Corsair site.
You could always just try the memory, it'll either work or not... :pt1cable: