Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI HD5770 Starcraft II slowdown

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2010 4:24:45 PM

Hello! I'm new to the community, but I've used the website in the past to find solutions to my problems. I think I'm a little out of my comfort area with this problem though. Thanks in advance for your help.

I just bought a new machine prebuilt ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item... )

Important Specs:
Asus P6t SE
Intel i7 930 2.8ghz
ATI HD5770
6GB triple channel DDR3 1333 ram

Now I think I should be able to run Starcraft II on ultra settings, and normally I don't have a problem doing so. However (for those that have played) whenever a mothership begins to cloak an amount of units I find myself having to bring the settings to low just to avoid a slowdown.

I just got the machine, is it possible some parts are defective? Do I just not have a good enough machine to run at max settings all the time?

I haven't verified all the components, and I'm thinking I may need to do this. Thanks anyone for your response, and I hope I don't have to send this computer back!
September 11, 2010 8:44:23 PM

Better yet, could someone instruct me as to how I could test my Graphics card to ensure its meeting ATI HD5770 benchmarks?
Score
September 11, 2010 8:49:23 PM

This is a common issue with StarCraft 2. This also happens with pylon power fields and Zerg Creep. I think a patch might fix this up. I might be wrong!? But you can check the Blizzard forums on stuff like this...
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/13438/
Hope this helps!
Score
Related resources
September 11, 2010 8:57:30 PM

it happens with some games
Score
September 11, 2010 9:01:57 PM

your machine runs fine, its a common issue in game.
Score
September 11, 2010 9:06:41 PM

plznote said:
But you can check the Blizzard forums on stuff like this...
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/13438/
Hope this helps!

...you could not pay me enough to answer those questions on their forum....

"will my Nvidia 9200 card play the game on ultra settings?"
"why is my athlon xp 2.0 ghz not maxing out the game?"
"why does my laptop with intel graphics slow down during battles?"

:pt1cable: 
Score
September 11, 2010 9:34:45 PM

ct1615 said:
...you could not pay me enough to answer those questions on their forum....

"will my Nvidia 9200 card play the game on ultra settings?"
"why is my athlon xp 2.0 ghz not maxing out the game?"
"why does my laptop with intel graphics slow down during battles?"

:pt1cable: 

"Yeah but it says "Intel HD Accelerator" right on the sticker!!!!! I'm not even playing @ 1080P and it's slow!! It says HD!!"
Score

Best solution

September 11, 2010 9:36:37 PM

tripod_knight said:
Better yet, could someone instruct me as to how I could test my Graphics card to ensure its meeting ATI HD5770 benchmarks?

Either try some other games, or download the Free version of 3dMark06 or 3dMark Vantage. You can then compare your results with other people that use the same ATi 5770 graphics card and see if you're in the ball park.

Realistically though, I'm sure you're fine. Although I don't play SC2, I've heard of issues.
September 12, 2010 1:48:18 PM

Best answer selected by tripod_knight.
Score
September 22, 2011 9:19:43 AM

This has been closed for a while but I thought I would add that the new patch from 9/21/11 now only cloaks 25 units per second to avoid slowdowns from lagg. So if there was 115 units as the mothership appeared 1sec later 25 would be cloak, and after 5 seconds all 115 would be cloaked.
Cheers :wahoo: 
Score
September 22, 2011 7:17:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!