Sign in with
Your question

Setting up a ssd boot drive

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2013 10:30:17 PM

Hello,
I have my orginal hdd migrated onto a new ssd. Now I want to use the hdd as a data drive and the ssd as my boot drive. What would my next step be.

More about : setting ssd boot drive

a c 159 G Storage
February 9, 2013 11:50:19 PM

Set the SSD as the boot drive from the bios.

Disconnect the hard drive and make sure the SSD boots and runs properly.

Once you know if does, You can reconnect the hard drive and erase it.

Windows has a built in option(it is in the folders properties) to chance the location of most of the folders under c: / users / yourname / .

You may also use another method to move the full USERS folder to the hard dive.

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-...
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:29:42 PM

I tried disconnecting the orginal hard drive and just using the ssd. It wont load windows just using the ssd. Says something about my version of windows not being valid or something like that. Even though it's all been transferred from one hard drive to another. Computer came with windows 7.
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 G Storage
February 10, 2013 4:17:21 PM

What did you use to transfer it?
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:28:14 PM

I used the software that came with the ssd plus norton ghost that was required for the software to work
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 10, 2013 5:34:42 PM

All i can recommend is try to reactivate. Normally swapping from a hard drive to an SSD(I have done it quite a few times actually) does not cause any activation issues.

If you get a blue screen with an error message(it is not like a normal blue screen error), then we have another thing to try.
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:42:04 PM

I've tried that and still got the same result
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 10, 2013 5:59:34 PM

Very strange. So it boots gets to windows then takes away your wall paper and tells you windows is not valid right?

They have a phone activation method. Maybe calling up MS will get this solved. I did see ONE hp that said a key was invalid(on reinstall) and calling MS got it fixed right up.
m
l
February 10, 2013 6:57:37 PM

I went to Samsungs website and according to it. This SSD is not supported by Windows 7 64bit only the 32bit system. Newegg will only replace the SSD not refund, so a little pissed right now.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:01:25 PM

What SSD is this?
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:03:16 PM

Samsung 840pro series 128gb
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:06:33 PM

That should totally run windows 64 bit, I run the 64 bit on the 256gb 840 pro. Does the system boot up with you have BOTH the SSD and HD connected?
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:11:13 PM

I don't what the problem is then, but it won't work on my system no matter what I try. Plus that's what Samsung's site says.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:15:08 PM

are you running windows 7? or what your running
m
l
a b G Storage
February 10, 2013 7:16:57 PM

Ignore that - your version of windows works fine on that ssd.

Easiest thing would be to disconnect the hdd and do a vlean install to the ssd.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:17:49 PM

Easiest thing would be to disconnect the hdd and do a vlean install to the ssd. - How do I do that
m
l
a b G Storage
February 10, 2013 7:25:31 PM

Oops - clean install. Put your win7 disk in dvd drive, set that to boot first, then install. If u dont have the disk but gave a valid key (sticker on pc case), google the .iso for your version of windows, download, burn to disk, then install.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:27:40 PM

Heryshey, the reason I ask if you have tried connect BOTH the HDD and the SSD is that for whatever reason (and this happened to me) the 200MB system partition that contains the boot files for windows wont transfer to the SSD.

So you'll have your OS on the SSD, but the boot files will still be on the HDD. So plug both the SSD and the HDD in and see if it boots. If it does then in the "search for programs and files" space in the start menu type in "partition," and that will give you the option to go to: "Creat and Format Hard Disk Partitions." Look at that and if your 200 MB system partition is still on your HDD then you have your problem.
m
l
February 10, 2013 7:31:29 PM

I will give that a try.
m
l
February 10, 2013 8:50:28 PM

Did that work?
m
l
February 10, 2013 9:06:05 PM

I won't know for a few days
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 10, 2013 10:36:05 PM

The system reserved partition is required to boot, I do not think(in fact know) you can even get to windows without it. So my guess is the SSD and HDD have one.

If that was giving an error(about lets say the partition not being found. since the BCD points to a partition location and not drive/partition). as it happens when cloning sometimes, you can always edit the BCD entry from another system of the old load of Windows.
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:37:10 AM

This is what I get when I try to boot off the SSD
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:09:23 AM

According to HP the version of Windows I have can't be cloned cause it's an OEM version. Only way I can get Windows on the SSD is to use a retail disk. Guess I have to get one of those now.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 11:01:08 AM

Call microsoft first and let them know you are just moving to an SSD, not changing out the mobo. They might hook you up. Worth it to save $100.
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:32:02 AM

I contacted microsoft first, they told me to contact hp
m
l
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 11:56:01 AM

That doesn't make any sense. Windows activations are MS problem, not HPs. I guess if you can't get the help then indeed it's time for new OEM windows.
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 12, 2013 1:01:17 PM

I have reinstalled Windows on HP systems with the OEM cd(not from HP) without any issues normally.

I did have to call them once and they fixed me right up.

I do not know who you got a hold of, but changing an SSD should have ZERO effect on an OEM version of windows.

In fact I have done just that with an HP systems(and many HDD -> HDD).

This is an activation(MS) issue, not an HP issue. It may be worth asking for a supervisor because something is not right about this.
m
l
February 12, 2013 3:48:42 PM

That's what I thought, I'm going to try my luck with Microsoft again.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:01:56 PM

awesome....Microsoft told the same thing today that HP told me last night. I can't clone the hard drive to the ssd cause it wont copy all the right drivers and such.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 12, 2013 4:26:12 PM

Argh. All they need to do is release the key so you can reactivate it. Simple as that. Drivers are the same whether on an SSD or a HDD.
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 12, 2013 5:14:16 PM

I am with J_E_D_70 on this. No driver difference at all going from HDD to SSD. Windows has build in divers for SATA/IDE and most raid controllers. If you are making it to windows, you have the only drivers that would matter.

They are getting very BS here.

DEMAND a damn supervisor. You did not CHANGE anything but the hard drive(so windows boots sees it then re-boots to "install" drivers. after that it should have been all good.). I do this ALL the time on my systems(and clone as well). Give them your key and ask them to ensure it is properly activated in the system. None of this should happen.

I have clones Win7 from drive to drive many times(clone to single drive to rebuild raid volumes[then clone back to the new raid volume], switching from HDD to SSD, upgrading to larger hard drives. Every one of them worked.) and NEVER had this issue. All the copies I use are OEM as well.

I hate when a company passes the buck like this.
m
l
February 12, 2013 6:23:31 PM

would making a back up disk work?
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 12, 2013 7:05:02 PM

I am not 100% sure, I never used the backup disk feature since I always just used an OEM CD/DVD for any needed reinstall. They are far and few between.
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:10:14 PM

well my computer didn't come with a disk, so this would be my best option far as i know. I mean if I'm going to buy a retail disk, might as well upgrade to Windows 8.
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 12, 2013 7:39:23 PM

You can download an ISO file to make your own Windows 7 DVD.

Just make sure you get the one that matches what you have. If you have problems with that activation, then HP did not activate and send the info to MS. Something I have seen once, but again, MS did not give any issues with it.

You will NEED the COA key that should be on the system.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

Please disconnect the hard drive when doing this install as if things do not go well, at least you can boot from that hard drive.

It is also a good idea to get all the drivers you need from HP or the makers website(video card) before and have them on a CD or flash drive.
m
l
February 12, 2013 8:57:05 PM

HP is now going to send me a recovery disk and they say this should fix my problem. All I have to pay for is shipping so I guess that's not too bad....beats the hell out of paying retail lol.
m
l
a c 159 G Storage
February 12, 2013 9:40:37 PM

Well, better then nothing.

I think because of the HP recovery setup, activation is skipped and that is the only reason you will not have an issue.
m
l
!