Reasons Why you should go with WD's HDD's isntead of Seagate.

gdfsgdfg

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
1. seagate was founded in 1979 under a different name.
western digital was founded in 1970 with the same name.
2.seagate has acquired Maxtor and Samsung's hdd division.
western digital acquired Hitachi
3.western digital sounds cooler than seagate.
4.WD has a higher range of hdd's.
5.WD drives don't need firmware updates
6.WD gave their drives awesome names like raptor or caviar black :love:
7.Seagate has never offered 5 year warranty for any of their drives.
8.Don't take this thread too seriously.

FreeDataRecovery

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
On the many drives I've worked on for logical data recovery in my opinion you have a better chance of recovering data from a Western Digital drive as opposed to a Seagate drive. Often when trying to image a failing Seagate drive it will go off line when it tries to read bad sectors.

I've been involved with hard drives since the early 1980s. Since that time I've seen dud products from just about every manufacturer. They all seem to go through good times and bad times. Seagate and Maxtor have swallowed up Conner Peripherals, Quantum, and Control Data (and now Samsung). All of these manufacturers produced great drives in their heyday.

Western Digital was a chip manufacturer in the early days. They made the MFM controller for the original IBM PC/AT. However, WD was late into the HDD market. In fact I remember that WD was still manufacturing stepper motor drives when everyone else had moved on to voice coils.

As for warranty, my ST3320620A 320GB Seagate 7200.10 had a 5 year warranty.

All drive manufacturers have supplied firmware updates, WD included. In fact some WD models have a particular nasty bug that leaves them in PUIS mode (Power Up In Standby) after it is enabled. WD is aware of the bug but has done nothing about it.

I like "Barracuda" as a name. It was also the name of my favourite muscle car (with a 426 Hemi).

I use WD hard drives simply because I find them to be very reliable and at least when I bought them, they were either just as inexpensive as other brands or less expensive.

I don't know how many WD hard drives I have bought ever since my 1st PC. I do know that I currently have 11 hard drives and they are all WD hard drives (bought from 2009 thru 2013). Only one WD has ever "failed" on me, by "failed" I mean for some reason 10GB of a 120GB became corrupted and not accessible; no data was lost. That was back in 2003.

This.

I've had numerous Seagate hard drives fail on me. All my WD drives are still humming along

I won't take your thread too seriously, but number 7 is just wrong. Seagate has offered 5 year warranty for quite a while, and it it works here in my country (which is very, very rare). I have used it myself on a 320GB drive with 1 year of use, which was promptly replaced by a 500GB one.

Aside from that, none of the other reasons are technical (maybe 5, but stil...). I have never used a WD drive before, and they are not sold in my country.

Of all the drives I used, the ones that impressed me the most were Samsung Spinpoint F3's. I have a pair still runing, and they are amazingly fast.

yeah, right after the flood, and maybe shortly before, some were cutting the warranty, but afterwards they all started doing it. makes you wonder if they threw out the submerged parts or "cleaned" them up and re-used. Bet the sea water and other contaminates ( chemicals ) in the water ruined a lot of stuff.

Ironically, Seagate wasn't really affected by the flooding as all of their factories are on high ground. For a while they were the only hard drives that you could find. Western Digital on the other hand...