Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overheating CPU ! 90+ C

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2011 4:01:52 PM

Hey guys, my CPU is overheating in full load to 90+ C. Here is the info I can give , please help . :) 

Corsair TX 750 W
Kingston 4gb dual channel kitt (not using XMP)
Gigabyte H55 UD2H
Case : HAF 922 + 1 extra 200mm side panel fan & cable management
i7 - 870 @ 2,93 GHZ : 1) not OC
2) using stock fan which I've quadrupled checked to see if it's mounted correctly (and it is)
3) AS 5 thermal paste - which I applied in multiple attemps to get the correct amount in a PEA size in the center of the cpu

Please tell me ... is the stock cpu so bad that I can't play any game without my cpu reaching 90C , or I have messed up BIOS (it's on "optimized defaults" - except I disabled the auto fan faction - setting it to run at max speed all the time) or I donno ... Please help , Thank you !

More about : overheating cpu

January 25, 2011 4:15:45 PM

Thanks for replying. Ironic but the idle temps are ~30C ... and the paste I'm not sure if it has spread like that , like I said I'm pretty much sure I've applied it correctly (pea size in the center of the CPU). Previously to this with the "stock" thermal pad the full load temps went to 98C. So AS5 improved this ... but still it's too high.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2011 4:21:29 PM

I usually spread thermal paste on the heatsink and make sure it covers it in a thin layer(like the picture), you can apply the thermal paste to the cpu obviously but i prefer goin for the heatsink(dont think it makes a difference).

The only reasons i could see your cpu getting that hot is either the thermal paste isnt covering the cpu enough or the heatsink isnt fitted properly.
m
l
January 25, 2011 4:30:32 PM

Well , I've done a lot of research towards this problem ... and I know all of the common causes for this ... yet , I still can't fix this annoying problem. :(  I'm pretty sure the thermal paste is well spread ... since I've tried for 3 times to do it :p  (after tutorials). The heatsink I've checked several times .. all the pins are pushed it is 100% properly fitted. Also I've set the fan to max spd to reduce a bit more on those temps (on auto mode it fluctuates too much). Was wondering if my mobo can cause this ? .. is there any posibility ? ..cause my understanding of voltages and bios settings is quite limited , I'm afraid.

MadCatz900 said:
I usually spread thermal paste on the heatsink and make sure it covers it in a thin layer(like the picture), you can apply the thermal paste to the cpu obviously but i prefer goin for the heatsink(dont think it makes a difference).

The only reasons i could see your cpu getting that hot is either the thermal paste isnt covering the cpu enough or the heatsink isnt fitted properly.

m
l
January 25, 2011 4:41:30 PM

creohan said:
Well , I've done a lot of research towards this problem ... and I know all of the common causes for this ... yet , I still can't fix this annoying problem. :(  I'm pretty sure the thermal paste is well spread ... since I've tried for 3 times to do it :p  (after tutorials). The heatsink I've checked several times .. all the pins are pushed it is 100% properly fitted. Also I've set the fan to max spd to reduce a bit more on those temps (on auto mode it fluctuates too much). Was wondering if my mobo can cause this ? .. is there any posibility ? ..cause my understanding of voltages and bios settings is quite limited , I'm afraid.

Afaik the only way the mobo could cause it is if it was broke but the idle temps are fine. You havent overclocked so everything should run fine, unless the cpu cooler you have is really bad but then it shouldnt run at 90c still.

Have you checked to see if the temps match up, checking the bios temps and using CPUID hwmonitor to check the temps?
m
l
January 25, 2011 4:42:54 PM

Yep :(  ... they match up
MadCatz900 said:
Afaik the only way the mobo could cause it is if it was broke but the idle temps are fine. You havent overclocked so everything should run fine, unless the cpu cooler you have is really bad but then it shouldnt run at 90c still.

Have you checked to see if the temps match up, checking the bios temps and using CPUID hwmonitor to check the temps?

m
l
January 25, 2011 4:48:30 PM

creohan said:
Yep :(  ... they match up

What speed is the cpu fan running at? Im not sure what else it could be, hopefully someone else has an idea.
m
l
January 25, 2011 4:56:13 PM

Thanks for at least trying :p  . The cpu fan is between 2000-2100 rpm ... should be ok for stock intel.
MadCatz900 said:
What speed is the cpu fan running at? Im not sure what else it could be, hopefully someone else has an idea.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2011 5:25:47 PM

See if the heatsink is really hot to the touch when the system is reporting 90c temps. If it's not, it's one of three things

A) Heatsink not seating properly. Reseat with new thermal paste, and do it properly. Not like the picture. A small pea-sized blob in the middle of the cpu, so it can spread evenly. Coating the CPU like that creates an irregular thickness coating.

B) If it's a heatpipe-type heatsink, the heatpipes might be bad and not transferring heat properly. Might need replacement.

C) Bad CPU (not likely)

D) Not reporting correct temp. If monitoring in Windows using software, make sure the software supports that board.

E) Bad motherboard (not likely). If the BIOS monitoring utility is reporting wrong temperatures, it could be a bad hardware monitor IC on the board, if everything else checks out and it's actually not running hot.

If the heatsink is, in fact, extremely hot to the touch, make sure your fan is running properly and double check your voltage settings in BIOS to make sure it's not grossly overvolted accidentally or something. A bad CPU can sometimes do this (an internal shunt that causes massive current leakage and excess heat) but not likely.

m
l
January 25, 2011 8:20:13 PM

Hey , and thanks for taking the time to answer this. I will check the heatsink and return with an update . Also... pls define "grossly overvolted". Thx
mavroxur said:
See if the heatsink is really hot to the touch when the system is reporting 90c temps. If it's not, it's one of three things

A) Heatsink not seating properly. Reseat with new thermal paste, and do it properly. Not like the picture. A small pea-sized blob in the middle of the cpu, so it can spread evenly. Coating the CPU like that creates an irregular thickness coating.

B) If it's a heatpipe-type heatsink, the heatpipes might be bad and not transferring heat properly. Might need replacement.

C) Bad CPU (not likely)

D) Not reporting correct temp. If monitoring in Windows using software, make sure the software supports that board.

E) Bad motherboard (not likely). If the BIOS monitoring utility is reporting wrong temperatures, it could be a bad hardware monitor IC on the board, if everything else checks out and it's actually not running hot.

If the heatsink is, in fact, extremely hot to the touch, make sure your fan is running properly and double check your voltage settings in BIOS to make sure it's not grossly overvolted accidentally or something. A bad CPU can sometimes do this (an internal shunt that causes massive current leakage and excess heat) but not likely.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2011 10:42:34 PM

creohan said:
Hey , and thanks for taking the time to answer this. I will check the heatsink and return with an update . Also... pls define "grossly overvolted". Thx

Is the fan on the cooler blowing in the right direction ?
m
l
January 26, 2011 2:34:35 PM

My cpu has a stock intel fan+heatsink... I pretty much guess it's in the right direction.... Could it not be ?
jerry6 said:
Is the fan on the cooler blowing in the right direction ?

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 2:56:55 PM

creohan said:
My cpu has a stock intel fan+heatsink... I pretty much guess it's in the right direction.... Could it not be ?

Just throwing out a possible problem . If it is factory and came assembled probably on right .
m
l
January 26, 2011 4:31:14 PM

Yeah... thx for giving it a shot :p .

UPDATE: the heatsink is hot... so ... the temps are really correct.
jerry6 said:
Just throwing out a possible problem . If it is factory and came assembled probably on right .

m
l
January 26, 2011 5:16:56 PM

What would be hot?
As in too hot to touch or just really warm (like walking on a beach when it's 40degrees).
Because 90+ degrees is near boiling point of water.
Try sticking a thermometer near it.
m
l
January 26, 2011 6:39:30 PM

I cant really tell as how hot , hot is :p  ... sticking a thermometer .... not a bad idea ! I just don't happen to have one around the house :( 
Mrsh4dy said:
What would be hot?
As in too hot to touch or just really warm (like walking on a beach when it's 40degrees).
Because 90+ degrees is near boiling point of water.
Try sticking a thermometer near it.

m
l
January 26, 2011 6:55:34 PM

If you have a friend or someone willing to lend you an old, or new perhaps, socket 1156 CPU cooler, you should definitely test it and see what the temps are. Your CPU coolers surface may not be level and contacting 100% with the CPU which would result in very high temps. If that is the case a new CPU cooler is highly recommended.

Have you tried multiple hardware monitoring software? I use CPUID's Hardware Monitor and it's great. Core temp is another example of a good temperature monitor.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 6:56:43 PM

Well i would recommend you to get another heatsink cuz the stock one sucks anyways :p . Btw recently i replaced a friend`s e2180 with an e6700 on an asus motherboard. Every time the PC started it showed that the CPU temp is too high, checked the bios and everest and both showed that it was 100 C* (wich would couse the system to restart), but it showed the cores are at 30*. You might have a similar problem. Are the core temps high too ??
January 26, 2011 6:59:16 PM

Hey , and thanks for answering. Sadly , I dont have a friend that could lend me such a cooler. I have applied a new AS5 paste on my cpu , and during that process , I've also used Arcticlean 1+2 for both surfaces , in order to make sure it's ok. I must admit that I remember seeing several scratches on the pad of the heatsink ... but are they relevant ?

EDIT: Yes I used both Core temp and CPUID's Hardware Monitor and they both show the same temps.
cromedome said:
If you have a friend or someone willing to lend you an old, or new perhaps, socket 1156 CPU cooler, you should definitely test it and see what the temps are. Your CPU coolers surface may not be level and contacting 100% with the CPU which would result in very high temps. If that is the case a new CPU cooler is highly recommended.

Have you tried multiple hardware monitoring software? I use CPUID's Hardware Monitor and it's great. Core temp is another example of a good temperature monitor.

m
l
January 26, 2011 7:05:08 PM

I'm sorry mate , but I don't understand what you mean... If you're asking me if all the 4 cores are the same temp .. than yes .. all 4 of em have pretty much the same temp
oc_mania said:
Well i would recommend you to get another heatsink cuz the stock one sucks anyways :p . Btw recently i replaced a friend`s e2180 with an e6700 on an asus motherboard. Every time the PC started it showed that the CPU temp is too high, checked the bios and everest and both showed that it was 100 C* (wich would couse the system to restart), but it showed the cores are at 30*. You might have a similar problem. Are the core temps high too ??

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 7:36:05 PM

I meant that it showed CPU temp 100 C* and the core temps were 30* and i meant thet your system could be reading wrong temps.. whatever. Your problem could be in the CPU or motherboard, i would recommend you go to a repairer or somethin and you put another CPU and check would the temps be high too - then the problem would be in the motherboard. The other option is to check the CPU on another motherboard and check temps again. Then depending on wich part is bad/not running properly you could replace/return it and get another one. Hope you understood me, sry for bad english :(  :D 
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:44:55 PM

Yes , I understand you and thanks . Sadly this is one of my options as well .. my top one actually .. yet still it's a bit more complicated to achieve. Was also thinking , like someone already said, to replace the stock cooler with an aftermarket one (hyper 212+ , mugen rev b or noctua NH-D14) ... but unfortunetly the first 2 are not on the physical stock of my vendor and the 3rd is too expensive for me ,right now. Will probably just wait to replace it and if temps are still shitty high , I will take both the cpu and the mobo to warranty.
oc_mania said:
I meant that it showed CPU temp 100 C* and the core temps were 30* and i meant thet your system could be reading wrong temps.. whatever. Your problem could be in the CPU or motherboard, i would recommend you go to a repairer or somethin and you put another CPU and check would the temps be high too - then the problem would be in the motherboard. The other option is to check the CPU on another motherboard and check temps again. Then depending on wich part is bad/not running properly you could replace/return it and get another one. Hope you understood me, sry for bad english :(  :D 

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
m
l
February 2, 2011 6:35:41 PM

Best answer selected by Creohan.
m
l
!