Sign in with
Your question

Which is the best driver for radeon 9500 windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2010 7:49:21 PM

Hello, i have Radeon 9500 pro
i tried a lot of drivers catalyst 9.3, 10.2, 10.7, and more but no one is working! My system is working some time, but then freezes and i can't do anysing, only restart! Without drivers system works, but i want better performance.

thank you
September 11, 2010 8:03:57 PM

Are you running windows 7 32bit or 64bit?
September 11, 2010 8:18:13 PM

i'm runing 32 bit windows 7
Related resources
September 11, 2010 8:36:12 PM

Unfortunately AMD hasn't made any drivers for Windows 7 for your specific video card, but windows 7 has a fairly capable compatibility mode for vista drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pa...

Download the full software suite above, Uninstall any previous versions of Catalyst Control Center (IMPORTANT), and then install the new suite. This should be the most stable driver for your card for windows 7.
September 11, 2010 9:06:12 PM

tripod_knight said:
Unfortunately AMD hasn't made any drivers for Windows 7 for your specific video card, but windows 7 has a fairly capable compatibility mode for vista drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pa...

Download the full software suite above, Uninstall any previous versions of Catalyst Control Center (IMPORTANT), and then install the new suite. This should be the most stable driver for your card for windows 7.

i tried this version, it works fine(like all others), till system freezes. Should i install it as usualy, or there is some trick?

once i tried this:
Step 1: Start the installation as normal upto main installation then cancel. This will extract the driver files to your hard drive.

Step 2: navigate to C:\ATI\Support\9_3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\pakages\drivers\display\LH_INF. Open in notepad CL_76828.inf and look for the following entry;

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTx86.6.0, NTx86.6.1

edit it to read

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTx86.6.0

and save

Step 3: manually install the display driver by clicking on start and entering Device Manager in the search box select your graphics adaptor and update driver select the second option and have disk browse to the inf file you saved in Step 2. Windows will display a warning but click yes

Step 4: Navigate to; C:\ATI\Support\9_3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu and run setup this will install the Catalyst control center without error. reboot and hey presto

it worked (even CCC), but i had the same problem, after a while system freezed again
September 12, 2010 1:54:27 PM

I've installed old drivers for other hardware I own, and to do this I simply run the install program in compatibility mode. I haven't had any problems this way. I would recommend installing it this way instead of modifying any .inf files.

What kind of freeze are you experiencing? Does the screen turn black? Do you get a blue screen of death? Its possible your card has defective memory, as it is pretty old. My radeon 9800 quit on me almost a year ago.
September 12, 2010 2:20:13 PM

when i'm runing automaticaly installed drivers, from windows, it ussualy freezes without black and blue screens(system becomes not responding ), but there was some times blue screen!

now i tried 8.12 hotfix, 9.3. 10.2 versions of catalyst, and all the time after reboot there is only scratches on screen and i don't see anything, then i need to run safe mode, uninstall drivers and disable atomatic driver installation.

i installed catalyst this way:
open cmd
go to the root of drive "C"
type "cd ati"
then "cd DRIVERFOLDERNAME" replace driverfoldername with the name of the folder the drivers extracted to
then "cd Bin" or if using 64-bit type "cd Bin64"
if you already have a previous driver installed first run "atisetup -uninstall -output screen" or it wont install anything
then type "atisetup -install -output screen"

because if i install as ussually, there ar no CCC installed, only drivers, this way, there are CCC and drivers
September 12, 2010 3:15:53 PM

If you're already getting crashes with the windows display drivers, its possible that there's a hardware problem, and it may be unrelated to your card. Have you tried the video card in another computer?
September 12, 2010 3:52:56 PM

I haven't tried my card on other computer! But on my PC with win XP it works fine! With windows drivers there ar no problems, there are problems, when windows install drivers from updeate (driver version 8.56.1.15)
Now i tried install 10.2 one more time, in BIOS i disabled all the video features and set agp speed to 4x and agp memory 32bit, there was scratches again, then i uninstalled drivers, but Catalyst is still in my PC, and i let windows automaticaly install drivers from windows update, now i'll see what will happen (now it is woking, with new BIOS settings) and catalyst is working too. if today there will not bee crashes, then it works!
!