Add-On Card with Internal USB Connector?

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
So my current mobo is an Asus Rampage III Extreme, which is a great mobo, to be sure, but it's a bit lacking in the USB department with only ONE internal USB connector. I'd really like to be able to connect all 4 USB ports on my case but all the add-on cards I've found that have "internal connectors" are really just USB input on the inside of a case, as opposed to the internal connectors found on the motherboard. Does anyone know where I can find an expansion card that has the internal connectors as they're found on the motherboard?

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

I would settle for either. The ports I want to connect are 2.0, but a 3.0 connector would also give me the option of upgrading the front ports to 3.0, since I know my case has an upgrade it I could get for it to convert it to 3.0.

Only one I could find:
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-IU01-Internal-Expansion-Black/dp/B0031ESKJA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I11LMI4DW91W7B&colid=238I5QWR909FN

I believe that you would run the two front USB connectors from your case to this, then another cable from this to your single motherboard USB connector. I'm not quite sure that it would really need power if you had a good motherboard.

UPDATE:
Yes, it comes with the cabling and works the way you want. There are also two "normal" USB connectors on this little board but basically this is for adding four USB outputs on a case (two connectors) to a motherboard with only one USB input.

Update:
I found a picture in an article of one of the above:
http://www.dreamwarecomputers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5531%3Asilverstone-ec01-usb-30-internal-card&catid=1%3Aaccessories&Itemid=2&limitstart=2

I couldn't figure out the difference between these two cards from Silverstone. The advantage they have over the one I found is they offer USB3. The disadvantage is they take up a PCIe slot.

If you have a spare PCIe slot then I highly recommend one of these Silverstone PCIe cards.

*WARNING:
Although you can use ANY PCIe slot (x1, x4, x8 or x16) be aware that some motherboards will HALVE the bandwidth on the main PCIe (i.e. x16 to x8). Most people don't have a graphics card fast enough to max out a PCIe v2 x8 slot (I think you need a GTX570 to do that) but I thought I'd bring it up.

If in doubt, read your motherboard manual. If still in doubt:
1. Use any benchmark utility (3DMark series from Futuremark) that stresses the graphics and get a SCORE before the addon card is inserted
2. Get the addon card up and working then obtain a new SCORE with the exact same benchmark settings

(the above also applies if you're getting a PCIe sound card and question if it will impact your system. Even if you KNOW your main graphics slot will go from x16 to x8 this is the test to see if it MATTERS in practice.)