Suggestions for Soon to be Computer

Robotrekker

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I wanna try my hand at building a computer for the first time. My old computer is really only collecting dust so I want to use my current to replace it and build my own to replace my current. I'm not very experienced in this kind of thing but I've got my base hardware down. I'll be getting an Intel i7-875k Processor along with an Intel DP55KG Motherboard. Where do I go from here and what do you recommend I get?

Robotrekker

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure the resolution of the screen I plan to use is 1024x768. I'll be doing a good mix of casual reading and email checking as well as a lot of gaming and possibly making videos of those games. If you've ever played a Valve game, you know the type of games I'll be playing. I want to play on maximum or very close to maximum settings. I also need to know; how would I be able to force anti-aliasing? Does it have anything to do with hardware? And before I forget, my budget is $1300.

WHAT THE HECK... such low resolution -_- EVEN a 5770 would do for that resolution, any valve game at that resolution would easily max out. With a 5770 or the 6850 or a 460 GTX. I mean at that point you really don't need a 860 or 875k at a 1300$ budget, your wasting your money with a bad intel mobo and a chip that really isn't a choice for budget build of 1300$. I suggest going with an i5 750 or i5 760.

If you want to spend $1300 on a (primarily) gaming computer, you need to buy a different screen to use it. And yes, that budget will easily float a 24" 1920x1080 monitor and the rig to drive it.

If you want to game at 1024 x 768, you can do it very well for half that budget.

Which way do you want me to configure a box for you?