Sign in with
Your question

Can i replace 1tb to 2tb in wd my book

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2013 9:54:44 AM

Hello,

Hello, my My book essential 1TB crashed, can i open its black casing and replace the hdisk inside with new 2TB wd green?

More about : replace 1tb 2tb book

a c 79 G Storage
February 10, 2013 10:29:52 AM

The first challenge will be getting the enclosure open without damaging it, as there are no screws, just hidden clips holding the two halves together.

If you do manage to get it open without damage, you may find that the existing drive inside it has a proprietary connection interface to which the SATA/USB bridge-chip is attached. The drive itself may not have a standard SATA interface.

You will just have to split open the enclosure and find out if it's possible to swap the drive.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
February 10, 2013 7:21:47 PM

AFAIK, all My Books use standard 3.5" SATA drives. It's the 2.5" Passports that may or may not integrate the USB-SATA bridge onto the HDD PCB.
m
l
May 6, 2014 9:23:28 PM

They have standard 3.5" drive sata connectors, any 3.5 sata drive will work.

If you took the original drive out and want to replace it with a different drive, you have to install the WES driver and then download and run the Windows quick formatter program from Western Digital.

There might be another way such as a few of the linux boot cd partition tools like gparted, but this is the easiest way.

I found the My book 2tb drives on close out at Staples for $41, bought 4 of them just to steal the drives for other purposes and I'm now using the Western Digital cases for extra storage with s few old 500 and 300 Gb drives I had laying around.
m
l
!