Sign in with
Your question

Sudden stops during file transfers on external HDD

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2013 11:30:54 AM

Hi! I've recently asked for another issue on this forum and was helped a lot, so I thought you could help me with this tedious problem too.
I've just formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit), reinstalled drivers from original cd and all. Now I have a problem with my external HDDs, yup not with one but both my devices suddenly have the same issue.
Le me start by saying that I've ever had problems with USB ports and transfers (continuous disconnections, slow transfer... not just with HDD but also pendrives, etc.), I don't know how i did fix it but in recent months they all worked fine and I was pretty happy :D 

Now after the format it all started again. I need to transfer large amount of data and tryed with one file of various sizes (400M-3GB) at a time and while the transfer starts nice (110-120 MBs) it suddenly drops to 0 after few seconds, it takes longer with larger files but they all just stop between 50-90%). When they stop the PC continues running the transfer at a speed of 0 and cannot be canceled (tryed, waited, it just does not stop... I canot even remove the drive safely cause it's busy).
I've tryed with much smaller files and they works fine.

Another thing: when i plug and turn the HDD on Windows advice me that they can perform faster with a 2.0 usb port, but so i cannot explain why the transfer have an high speed when starts.

I know it's probably a drivers issue but I really doesn't know where to beging to fix this. My PC has two USB 3.0 on the front (NEC host controller driver installed for those) but they just did never work fine, so I'm sticking to back ports.

Can someone help me, please?

My computer specs:
Quote:
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM:
8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 596MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3)
Graphics:
M2062D (1600x900@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI)
Hard Drives:
112GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 SATA Disk Device (SSD)
932GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 ATA Device (SATA)
Power Supply:
LC-Power 650W OZEANOS 14cm Modular 80+ [LC8650]

Update:
Ok I've already an update for you. I tryed to change the USB port and... they work there! Mouse, keyboard and other devices works fine in the first port too, but HDD and pendrive have that issue that is not present using a different one.
Now what I'm thinking is: could the person who assembled the pc just have screwed up connecting usb ports? That would explain why my USB3.0 newer worked fine and I have misteryous issues with normal ports too...
March 5, 2013 8:05:29 PM

I also had problems with large file transfers.
I totally solve them by managing permissions.
Under hard disk properties --> Security.....there enable permissions.

In XP there is not security Tab and must be downloaded from microsoft web page...Homework...as I do not remember where.
March 14, 2014 5:44:41 AM

crauld64 said:

I also had problems with large file transfers.
I totally solve them by managing permissions.
Under hard disk properties --> Security.....there enable permissions.

In XP there is not security Tab and must be downloaded from microsoft web page...Homework...as I do not remember where.

OP can you make this the best awnser as its worked for me thanks

!