Sign in with
Your question

WRT54GL Router Speed Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 10, 2010 10:26:55 PM

Linksys WRT54GL. When I reset the thing I get back to good wireless speed. After a week or so the wireless speed drops off considerably.

On my machine that's hooked directly into it, I see (according to speakeasy) the correct/fast speed so I just go ahead and reset the router again to get my wireless speeds back up to what they should be. And that works. Wireless speeds are boosted tremendously.

So after four or five times of this I figured I'd try to find out just what the heck is going on here so I don't have to reset it all the time.

I have wireless network mode set to: G.Only
Security: Wpa.Personal TKIP

Does Group Key Renewal have anything to do with it? I've not played with that.

Any help much appreciated.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2010 2:55:15 AM

Find out more about MTU -- the default setting in the router is 1500 and it may be worth lowering that in increments of 100 to see if the problem goes away.
August 11, 2010 3:19:14 AM

you could also try upgrading the firmware of your router.
Related resources
August 11, 2010 3:25:03 AM

Tweaking the MTU didn't work. I don't understand, when I reset security everything goes back to full speed.
August 11, 2010 4:45:05 AM

This is a completely different question, but would hacking the thing with one of the popular firmware/driver variants help out?

It's just bizarre to me that it runs fine for a week or two, then slows. Every wireless computer I have (both mac and pc) shows the same speed degradation so I know it's not one computer's settings.

Is there a common tweak that I'm missing? I just normally run default, only tweaking the security settings.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2010 9:09:54 AM

I don't know if firmware change would help -- but it's an interesting option to explore.

Though this won't address the particulars of your problem -- the sort of regular degradation (which could simply be line problems ?) have you tried turning off DDoS protection in the router ?

I hesitate to ask but have you really explored the wireless aspects of the equation ?

Here's the standard recommendations:
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
!