Is my motherboard broken?

Hi

I have 2 gigabyte gtx 470 SOC cards in SLI.
A couple of weeks ago I was playing BFBC2. My gpu temps were 105degrees(It's high I know) on the first one in (PCIEX16_1) and about 60degrees on the second one (PCIEX16_2). Suddenly my computer crashes. So I turn it off and leave it for the night.

The next day when I tried to start it I only got a black screen on my monitor. So I took out the card in PCIEX16_1 and put the second card in there instead. That worked! So I figured the video card got overheated or something.
The other card works fine for a day or so but suddenly I start getting similar problems after a winupdate. I roll-back the update and things seem to be back to normal.

Now yesterday I decided to return the faulty card. But before I did wanted to make a last test. I inserted the card in PCIEX16_1 and tadaa it worked. :S
This forced me to do some more testing on both cards. It doesn't take long before I start getting black monitor and random restarts. So I tried uninstalling and installing drivers forth and back. But nothing worked. Only time I could use the computer was in safe mode. I got so tired of this that I reinstalled win7 just to have a clean machine to test on. Everything went fine until I installed nvidia drivers.

I read a lot in different forums regarding black screens. There was many people having problems with this but I found one quite interesting. He said that his PCIEX slot was causing this. So today I've tested both cards in PCIEX_2 without experiencing any problems.

I think that the slot itself is broken. Any other ideas? Can this happen?

| PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD's - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)

PS: Sorry about the long story and sloppy English. Hopefully you'll understand anyway :)
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard broken
  1. Sorry forgot to post System specs:
    | PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD's - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)
  2. Perhaps the socket was damaged by installation and removal of the Vid cards? Take a close look at it. You seem to have other issues however as things keep changing that should not be changing from what you write.
  3. There's no damage on the socket as far as I can see...
    Also Note that before yesterday I haven't really used the computer much. So it might have seemed like it was working while I maybe was "lucky" not to experience any problems during my use of it..
  4. I installed the card that I thought was broken in both slots now. And it's not working..... I see the bios load screen but when I'm prompted to win login screen the monitor goes black. I can hear that windows loads (by sound) and i can also login.

Now I'm running the healthy card in PCIEX_1. And no problems this far...

I feel stupid and confused right now... :P
  5. When I think about it. I might have installed the faulty card in PCIEX8_1 before I posted this topic. Is it possible that card isn't fully broken? That just the pciex16 mode is?
  6. Now I'm sure that the video card is broken. I tested it in a friends machine and had the same problem. The wierd thing is still though that it's not completely broken. As i can see bios load and run safe mode...

This thread can be closed now anyway!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards