Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard broken?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 26, 2011 7:01:04 PM

Hi

I have 2 gigabyte gtx 470 SOC cards in SLI.
A couple of weeks ago I was playing BFBC2. My gpu temps were 105degrees(It's high I know) on the first one in (PCIEX16_1) and about 60degrees on the second one (PCIEX16_2). Suddenly my computer crashes. So I turn it off and leave it for the night.

The next day when I tried to start it I only got a black screen on my monitor. So I took out the card in PCIEX16_1 and put the second card in there instead. That worked! So I figured the video card got overheated or something.
The other card works fine for a day or so but suddenly I start getting similar problems after a winupdate. I roll-back the update and things seem to be back to normal.

Now yesterday I decided to return the faulty card. But before I did wanted to make a last test. I inserted the card in PCIEX16_1 and tadaa it worked. :S
This forced me to do some more testing on both cards. It doesn't take long before I start getting black monitor and random restarts. So I tried uninstalling and installing drivers forth and back. But nothing worked. Only time I could use the computer was in safe mode. I got so tired of this that I reinstalled win7 just to have a clean machine to test on. Everything went fine until I installed nvidia drivers.

I read a lot in different forums regarding black screens. There was many people having problems with this but I found one quite interesting. He said that his PCIEX slot was causing this. So today I've tested both cards in PCIEX_2 without experiencing any problems.

I think that the slot itself is broken. Any other ideas? Can this happen?

| PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD's - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)

PS: Sorry about the long story and sloppy English. Hopefully you'll understand anyway :) 

More about : motherboard broken

September 26, 2011 7:05:56 PM

Sorry forgot to post System specs:
| PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 850W | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | Ram - Corsair 6gb (3*2048mb) 1600mhz XmS3 | Processor - Intel i7 930 2,8ghz | Video - Gigabyte 2 * GTX470 SOC (SLI) | Sound-card - Asus Xonar d2x (pcie) | HDD's - 2* 80gb ssd Intel X25M G2 (RAID0), WD caviar black 640gb sata/300 32mb | LG DVD DL SATA | OS - Win7 Enterprise(64-bit)
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 7:12:34 PM

Perhaps the socket was damaged by installation and removal of the Vid cards? Take a close look at it. You seem to have other issues however as things keep changing that should not be changing from what you write.
Related resources
September 26, 2011 7:19:10 PM

There's no damage on the socket as far as I can see...
Also Note that before yesterday I haven't really used the computer much. So it might have seemed like it was working while I maybe was "lucky" not to experience any problems during my use of it..
September 26, 2011 7:39:10 PM

I installed the card that I thought was broken in both slots now. And it's not working..... I see the bios load screen but when I'm prompted to win login screen the monitor goes black. I can hear that windows loads (by sound) and i can also login.

Now I'm running the healthy card in PCIEX_1. And no problems this far...

I feel stupid and confused right now... :p 
September 26, 2011 7:42:56 PM

When I think about it. I might have installed the faulty card in PCIEX8_1 before I posted this topic. Is it possible that card isn't fully broken? That just the pciex16 mode is?
September 28, 2011 7:14:48 AM

Now I'm sure that the video card is broken. I tested it in a friends machine and had the same problem. The wierd thing is still though that it's not completely broken. As i can see bios load and run safe mode...

This thread can be closed now anyway!
!