DTS-HD??? Why it won't work?

cheesewiz6

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Ok a little about me. I install home theaters for a living and have a passion for building computers. So I know the ins and outs of DTS-HD. I just can't get it to work from my htpc. The reason why it matters is because I want to sell my blu-ray player.

Ok the home theater is a Onkyo HTS-6200 it's not incredable but on a $500 budget it can't be beat. It will decode DTS-HD. I know so it works with my blu-ray player.

Computer hardware on the brand new system. 95 watt Quad core phenom with 6 megs l3 cash clocked at 2.8 don't have model. 8 gigs of ddr 3. Gigabit micro atx am3 board with sata 6 gb and usb 3.0 there is only one out there with these specs. I have 2 sata 2x250 gb barracudas set up as raid 0. Have a asus blu-ray drive. The new fanless zotac nvidia gt 430 with hdmi it supports dts-hd.

The software is the powerdvd 10 mark 2 or what ever, it passes dts-hd. I have downloaded the newest nvidia drives with the HD audio driver version 266.xx. I have the powerdvd and audio settings in windows set to output sound undecoded so my receiver can do it's thing. All I get id dts. Can anyone shed some light?

I have tried 2 movies one was the new Resadent Evil. The other was Easy A both have DTS-HD and I set it up in the blu-ray menu.

cheesewiz6

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I have the nvidia gt 430 it has it's own audio codecs built into the video card for DTS-HD master audio so I don't need a sound card it just goes through the hdmi port. In the driver options I can select DTS and I get DTS but no option for DTS HD I have the newest driver 266.xx and It is supposed to allow my card to have the DTS-HD option. The driver pack has nvidia hd audio driver 1.1.13.1 if I remember.

If I recall correctly, the 500 series can bitstream Dolby True HD or DTS HD...I don't recall if this also applies to the 400 series or not.

Also, its possible that the DTS HD signal is getting passed through, but is being detected wrong. If the signal is 7.1, then its definatlly DTS HD...

Question: Why not have the software (PowerDVD) decode the audio, then pass through the decoded 7.1 audio instead of the still encoded audio? That way, you don't need your receiver to handle the decoding.