Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P8p67 DRAM problem

Last response: in Motherboards
September 26, 2011 10:14:38 PM

Alright guys I'm having a hard time with my brand new motherboard and here's the problem :

When I put my memory in the black slots ... no problem

When I put my memory in the blue slots I get the DRAM led as a solid red color.

Is this a problem serious enough to RMA the damn thing or is it me? Cause I'm pretty sure I can put my dual channel ram there even though I don't have another set to go along ...

Thank you!

Forgot to say that I have 1600 mhz memory, PATRIOT viper Xtreme 8gb dual channel

More about : p8p67 dram problem

a c 121 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
September 26, 2011 10:22:05 PM

Yes, you should be able to use either the blue or the black slots. I would contact Asus and ask them what is going on... That is a strange problem.
m
l

Best solution

a c 223 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
September 26, 2011 10:44:48 PM

When using a single pair of DIMMs they should be placed in the blue slots. It has to do with memory bus termination.

Did you use the MemOK! switch to force memory compatibility tuning when the DRAM_LED was continuously lit?

Did you use CPU-Z to verify that your DIMMs are running at 1600 MHz (DRAM Frequency 800.0 MHz)?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 26, 2011 10:48:17 PM

This is the most bizzare problem I've ever encountered in my life... I fixed to problem.

I started by doing some tests: While keeping the current on (not the PC)
Dual channel blue. RED LED => doesn't work
first I tested 1 dram in the left blue. Worked
1 dram in the right blue. Worked (wow strange means both slots work)
1 dram in black left. Worked
1 dram in black right. Worked
Dual channel black. Works
Dual channel blue.... WORKS

WTH????

Btw I trued to CMOS restart before so this didn't seem like a bios problem.
m
l
September 26, 2011 10:50:06 PM

ko888 said:
When using a single pair of DIMMs they should be placed in the blue slots. It has to do with memory bus termination.

Did you use the MemOK! switch to force memory compatibility tuning when the DRAM_LED was continuously lit?

Did you use CPU-Z to verify that your DIMMs are running at 1600 MHz (DRAM Frequency 800.0 MHz)?

Ya! I did use the MEMok... didn't seem to work.

I think it did the compatibility with the black slots for some reason....

It works now, so if anyone else gets the same problem. Try using my technique, it should work afterwards ;) 

Thanks guys
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:44:33 AM

Best answer selected by psyxix.
m
l
!