Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Are these parts compatible?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 1, 2010 12:02:52 AM

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 01G-P3-1235-LR GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(2_x_2GB)_240-Pin_DDR3-_-20-231-303-_-Product

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I want to build a gaming pc and I think they work together, but i'm new to building computers, so i'm not sure. And if you're wondering where the DVD drives are, or something, i'm taking it from my uncle's Dell Dimension 8100. Not sure if it's going to work though.

More about : parts compatible

November 1, 2010 12:06:54 AM

I think it'd work properly, but if your'e into gaming as mush as I think you arem you should consider another graphics card
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 12:27:24 AM

A GT 240 is not a gaming card, you will want something more powerful like a 5670 for the low end of a gaming system. What resolution is the monitor you are running, you likely need a significantly more powerful card than a GT 240 for a good gaming system.

I would also avoid the GX750, its not a good unit, it got 2 bad reviews at jonnyguru and is on my black list, especially when you can grab a Corsair 750TX for the same price after rebate and shipping, or an XFX 750 for slightly more after rebate/shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can currently get the 1TB samsung F3 for less than the 500GB caviar black after promo code, its faster too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For an i7 950 build you will want triple channel memory for the best performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 1:10:58 AM

hunter315 said:
A GT 240 is not a gaming card, you will want something more powerful like a 5670 for the low end of a gaming system. What resolution is the monitor you are running, you likely need a significantly more powerful card than a GT 240 for a good gaming system.

I would also avoid the GX750, its not a good unit, it got 2 bad reviews at jonnyguru and is on my black list, especially when you can grab a Corsair 750TX for the same price after rebate and shipping, or an XFX 750 for slightly more after rebate/shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can currently get the 1TB samsung F3 for less than the 500GB caviar black after promo code, its faster too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For an i7 950 build you will want triple channel memory for the best performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Okay, thanks. Would a GTX 450 be a nice gaming card or not?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 6:44:47 AM

Optical drives should work fine from an old dell.

If gaming is your primary focus, you'll be looking at a minimum of a GTX 460 or a HD 6850/70.

If this is out of your budget with the current build, either save some cash on the motherboard, or go to a 1156 Setup.
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 7:22:09 AM

etk said:
Optical drives should work fine from an old dell.

If gaming is your primary focus, you'll be looking at a minimum of a GTX 460 or a HD 6850/70.

If this is out of your budget with the current build, either save some cash on the motherboard, or go to a 1156 Setup.

+1
Koshmu, your build is rather unbalanced. A rig including an i3-530 paired with the GT240 would probably give you 80% of the gaming performance you'd get from an i7 build like that, and cost only half the price. Go with an i5 rig and a video card on the same level as an HD 6850/70, like etk suggested. The difference between an i5 build and an i7 build is only worth the money if you already have high end graphics (e.g. 5970 CF) and still have some cash left over.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 1, 2010 7:32:02 PM

I agree, it's a bit unbalanced.

1. The 932 is H-U-G-E case, perfectly suited to housing multiple hi end GFX cards. You only have one and an "entry" level one at that. if you are considering twin GTX 470's and an over clocked PC, the 932 makes sense. Otherwise drop to a HAF 922, an Antec 900/902 or even an Antec 300 Illusion. Check newegg for Combo deals on Case /PSU.

Make sure you have 4 PCI-E cable son your PSu if considering adding that 2nd card someday. The 932 w/Corsair HX850 is a good option as is the Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850 (great deal in newegg combo).

2. With the card you're suggesting a 650 watter is more than enough ... a 650 watter is fine for a GTX 470. Might want to read this article in this regard.

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/04/27/gtx_480_470_power...

3. You have chose a micro ATX MoBo (read "really small") to put in a huge case. Check soem of tehse options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. I wouldn't go less than a GTX 460/470 from Asus, XFX or EVGA ... superclocked versions are available at like $10 more.


5. You'll want 3 x 2GB for the 1366 platform. Avoid hi-profile heat sinks if you're thinking of OC'ing to any significant extent. here's some CAS 7 DDR3-1600 for $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Instead of the WD 500 GB model at $59,I'd spend $10 more and get the bigger / faster 7200.12, Hitachi or Spinpoint F3 @ 1 TB. With the current promo code giving $15 off the 1 TB F3 is a no brainer at $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7. Leave ya uncle's old most likely IDE DVD drive alone and spring for $18 and get this SATA model. Your mobo isn't likely to have an IDE slot these days and for $18 why bother.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. All that horsepower and no overclock ? Grab a CPU Cooler and TIM for $45 and crank that sucker up to 4 Ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
November 2, 2010 3:12:24 AM

Best answer selected by koshmu.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 3:20:25 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I agree, it's a bit unbalanced.

1. The 932 is H-U-G-E case, perfectly suited to housing multiple hi end GFX cards. You only have one and an "entry" level one at that. if you are considering twin GTX 470's and an over clocked PC, the 932 makes sense. Otherwise drop to a HAF 922, an Antec 900/902 or even an Antec 300 Illusion. Check newegg for Combo deals on Case /PSU.

Make sure you have 4 PCI-E cable son your PSu if considering adding that 2nd card someday. The 932 w/Corsair HX850 is a good option as is the Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850 (great deal in newegg combo).

2. With the card you're suggesting a 650 watter is more than enough ... a 650 watter is fine for a GTX 470. Might want to read this article in this regard.

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/04/27/gtx_480_470_power...

3. You have chose a micro ATX MoBo (read "really small") to put in a huge case. Check soem of tehse options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. I wouldn't go less than a GTX 460/470 from Asus, XFX or EVGA ... superclocked versions are available at like $10 more.


5. You'll want 3 x 2GB for the 1366 platform. Avoid hi-profile heat sinks if you're thinking of OC'ing to any significant extent. here's some CAS 7 DDR3-1600 for $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6. Instead of the WD 500 GB model at $59,I'd spend $10 more and get the bigger / faster 7200.12, Hitachi or Spinpoint F3 @ 1 TB. With the current promo code giving $15 off the 1 TB F3 is a no brainer at $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7. Leave ya uncle's old most likely IDE DVD drive alone and spring for $18 and get this SATA model. Your mobo isn't likely to have an IDE slot these days and for $18 why bother.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8. All that horsepower and no overclock ? Grab a CPU Cooler and TIM for $45 and crank that sucker up to 4 Ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hmm. I replaced some parts in your post from the parts I was going to get. :D  Thanks. Would it be a nice gaming pc though? Without maxing out the settings in the game.

Parts listed again in case you need to look at them.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922-KKR600 Black Steel / Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 600W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998947
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Materia
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!