Adding 8gigs to my current set-up...Compatible?

Aztec_Challenger

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hey all,
I tried looking around for a direct answer to my question but I haven't found one.
This is the motherboard I have:
www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55D_EVO

Paired with it, I have an i7 860 currently OC'd to 3.8ghz stable along with this RAM:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231282

My question is, since that brand of RAM is deactivated and such, would it be possible to add this RAM to my current set-up?
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226188
I would manually change the timings on both so they would match and most likely not even have it clocked up to the full 2000mhz amount. However, I'm just curious if this motherboard would support all 4 DIMMs with OC'd ram?

Thanks guys :D

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Yes they would be compatible however you will be sacrificing the frequency of the g-skill, ideally i would rather recommend that you try find more of the g-skill try different suppliers theres bound to be someone who still stocks it, if you are willing to make the sacrifice on the frequency then it will be fine.

Aztec_Challenger

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I thought about trying to find more of the exact RAM, except they never came in sticks larger than 2gb. So I would only achieve 8gb total, where I wanted 12gb.
I'm glad to hear that it's fine to mix these two brands, but what do you mean by frequency? They have the same clock speed, voltage, and latency. The only thing slightly different is the DRAM timings, but I feel like those can be adjusted without too many problems?
Thoughts?

beenthere

Distinguished
It is NEVER recommended to mix RAM even of the identical part number because it is not guaranteed to function without issues, especially higher frequency DDR3. The only means to be sure the RAM will work without issue is to buy ONE matched, tested RAM kit of the full quantity that you desire, that is approved for your specific brand of CPU and mobo.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Been is right to a certain extent memory can be anal sometimes, but its not often the case, its more like a 50/50 chance of compatibility. The frequencies are different one is 2000MHZ and the other 1600MHZ thats what i meant with regards to the sacrifice of frequency.

Aztec_Challenger

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Yeah I know its a gamble to see if they are compatible, but I don't see where you're getting 1600mhz.... They are both PC3 16000 and also BOTH rated at 2000mhz.
I feel like there's a *better* chance that they will work together, if they have the same frequency. Tell me i'm not crazy?

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
LOL so sorry Aztec miss read the details on the memory there is no difference in frequency +) Blonde moment sorry. I thin you should go for it try clocking the latencies timings as close to each other as possible and you should be alright i reckon.

Aztec_Challenger

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Bahaha, its alright Pilk! Thanks for the input nonetheless!
Quick question though, I read from another thread that when installing the RAM, I should mix the 4gb and 2gb on each set of DIMMs. Can you confirm or deny this?
As in, here are my slots: || || and to "mix" them, i would install it like 22-44. Instead of 24-24

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hey Aztec, i dont really see the benefit of this configuration except for the fact that maybe one of the alternative channels might run a bit smoother cant guarantee, i personally think it will hardly make a difference but go ahead and try it in that configuration.

1stDean0Brav0

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I Agree with pilk here too...the RAm that is placed in any order should not make a difference in any performance of the sort wheather it is this way or that, BUT!! try to keep it one Brand next time...Oh and i think personally you should stick to using the correct sized DIMMs in the correct slots...the colours represent the channels...once you full the channels with the identical amounts like 1st channel 2GB DIMMs and 2nd Channel 1GB DIMMs you should be able to utilize the best dual channel performance...JUST SAYING!!! :D

Posted Image