PSU for 780Watts

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi all, i want to choose a PSU for my rig with a wattage of 750w - 800w. So far, i already had two PSUs in my mind:

1. Thermal take tough power grand 750W with 7 years of warranty or
2. Cooler master silent pro gold 800W with 5 years of warranty.

The 780Watts is the worst case scenario whereby all components are peak load. Also, i had done reviewing the pro and cons between both PSUs.

The tough power grand passed all test meanwhile silent pro gold fails on ripple and noise tests on certain of loading.

The different price between both PSUs are USD11.

Which would you guys recommend?

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I done both reviews on hardware secrets whereby they normally overload those PSUs for testing purposes.

The 780Watts are including OC CPU and GPU, full hardware connections. Every aspect of hardware are included inside. That's why the Cooler Master's and Newegg PSU calculation shows roughly between 767 to 776 watts.

Review loads of thermal take tough power grand 750w:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Grand-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1098/7

Review loads of Cooler master silent pro gold 800w:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-Gold-800-W-Power-Supply-Review/1028/7

4745454b

Titan
GPU and not GPUs? If you are only using one GPU, then I really doubt you need anything close to 780W. Even if your GPU used the full 300W it could get, and you toss in your 140W CPU, you are looking at 500 or so under full load. A good 650W unit will do this fine. Unless you are running more then one GPU, or running a TEC or water pump off the PSU as well, you don't need 780W.

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
One thing i forget to mentioned is the ripple and noise. The ripple and noise is an important factor of PSU. If ripple and noise are unstable through out the time when it is deliver in to our house, it can cause our PSU malfunction soon which are called electric spikes.

PSU basically is an reserving tank circuit (RCL circuit) plus with some analog components (such as PNP or NPN transitors and zener diodes for negative voltages). The AC section which made of Inductor and Capacitor to hold Current and Resistor to reduce overflow current. The current must reduce to appropriate current before entering transformers.

After that the rail that we used are controlled by rectifying bridges what we need.
If you guys understands what i had mentioned, congratulations! Because this is still simple electronic language.

The factors i had mentioned are several factors that i worried.

As for 4745454b questions, i will used a TEC cooler, MSI 5770 hawk crossfired, 4 HD and 2 DVD+RW, AMD 1100T processor, AMD based broad and 8Gb of SDRAM.

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, i going to used everyone called aka "MONSTER", the Cooler Master V10 with High Premium Thermal Compound and put some copper sheet (with thermal compound for each layer) between the Cooler and CPU.

The pupose:
OC very... very... very... extremely.

That's why i take electronics as my university course. I loved the hybrid the between electronics and computer.

4745454b

Titan
Not sure the V10 is really a TEC. Yes it has one in there, but because it cycles on and off its setup as a very passive TEC. From what I remember of the reviews, it should perform a lot better but they F'd up the cycle profile. I don't remember how much power it takes, but I'd guess 50 or less watts.

4745454b

Titan
300W for GPU, 150W for CPU, 65W for cooler, and another 50W for overhead and other parts gives you 565W. Still shy of 600W, let alone 780. There's a reason why I don't trust those calculators.

Again, why are you even considering a PSU that falls out of spec? Seems to me between those two its obvious?