Sign in with
Your question

Integrated Memory Controller on Core i& 960 issue

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2011 12:53:32 PM

Hello, anyone out there that knows what to do to fix this "loss of RAM" from 6Gb to 4Gb when booting up?
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 3:08:08 PM

Is this the BIOS only reporting 4GB after POSTing? It could be a memory seating issue. Is this a board with 3 or 6 DIMM slots? Try to remove and replace the modules in the 3 slots you have them in... and if its a 6 slot board, try the other set of 3. Inspect the 'original' slots for a bent pin or some damage that may not allow the memory to connect properly.
The motherboard manual will tell you which slots are recommended for triple channel operation... which you'll want to make sure is active once the system recognizes all 6GB. Good luck!
a c 162 à CPUs
a b } Memory
January 26, 2011 3:57:53 PM

Happen to be running a 32 bit OS?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2011 2:39:48 PM

hunter315 said:
Happen to be running a 32 bit OS?

I was going to get to that after finding out if 4GB was reported after post, or 6GB :) 

I remember reading that Microsoft changed Windows to report 4GB when 4GB was installed, even though the system could only really use 3 to 3.5GB. I guess system builders were getting customer complaints that their 4GB system (with a 32-bit OS) only had 3GB in it!
February 3, 2011 12:27:55 AM

I have Win7 64 bit.
-re-seating the cpu didn't fix it
-re-seating the RAM didn't fix it.
-re-booting would get it to recognize once in a while.

I ended up running memtest86+ outside of windows and I stopped it after 2 hours and 22 errors later. RAM is now getting returned. Hope this is the only problem.
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2011 2:43:13 AM

fullspeed999 said:
I have Win7 64 bit.
-re-seating the cpu didn't fix it
-re-seating the RAM didn't fix it.
-re-booting would get it to recognize once in a while.

I ended up running memtest86+ outside of windows and I stopped it after 2 hours and 22 errors later. RAM is now getting returned. Hope this is the only problem.

I love memtest86+. Bad memory can do a ton of strange things... I've been fighting some bad sticks for awhile.
I think you're going down a good path troubleshooting. Best of luck with the new modules!
!