Sign in with
Your question

New Zealand Gamer Home build!

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2010 7:51:35 AM

I live in NewZealand prices are quoted in USD but I do not get any newegg deals but I want advice on compatibility + any upgrades / downgrades / unnecessary stuff / Necessary stuff not included.
Yes, i have heard of the new Sandy's coming out soon, may delay build but possibly won't (3 month holiday coming).

Build: (Have my own personal feedback on each part, how comfortable I am with it, feel free to knock that down =) )
(Lastly, I'm not sure I've got everything i need in a system, e.g. sound card /network card, / DVD writer, but i think the former 2 are included in motherboard. Help me with this!)

The mother:

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 socket 1156 - $165 USD

Also it says

Connectors
Component out No
Composite out No
DisplayPort No
DVI No
eSATA No
Firewire No
HDMI No

So how am i meant to get it connected to my Monitor????

Unsure if i want this or not. It has support for CF and I may eventually buy an extra graphics card for the set up, if i stay at home for uni in 2 years time. However PCIe2.0 x 16 and the other PCIe2.0 is only 4x. Probably good enough though - I'm getting 500FPS for the game i currently played on a mobility radeon 5470 lol! (I'll be moving to other games later though). Its cheap for a P55, and I've read around that H55 is quite a bit worse for overclocking etc among other features. I don't see need in getting 6GB/s HDD and stuff so but its capable of doing so anyways - Its one of the cheapest p55's here, only around $20 USD away from the cheapest one.

The Heart:

Intel Core i5 760 2.80 GH Processor Socket 1156 (8MB L3 Cache) - $237USD
~Cheaper than i5 750 by a few $$. AMD looks pretty darn slow in games in the benches ive looked at at anand/toms.
Also prefer intel processor as they are more mid-hi range whilst AMD's processors focus on the lower end market.

Graphics: HIS ATI HD 5770 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 ~ $165USd

Basically, $10USD more than the 5750, and around 60 cheaper than the 5830 so this is the best bang for the buck. Comparable Nvidia cards are even more expensive (e.g. GTX260). Pretty sure I want this card unless prices drastically change. In excess of current needs but hey :)  Also the HIS is around 20-30USD cheaper than Gigabyte versions, and more compared to sapphire versions (quite a bit more). I'll mildly overclock it if i need to - Won't push it past 70-75 degrees C tho.

RAM(med up the @ss?): Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x 2Gb)(1333MHz) DDR3 Performance - $120USD.
I heard corsairs the way to go, and at $35 more than Kingston Value RAM it isn't bad. However, whats the difference as they are the same MHZ and .... im not sure if timings are same / what are best timings.

Case: I'm actually curious about this one:

CM Storm Scout: $130 - Personally love the looks with the LEDS on
Antec 900-2: Around $143-150. Personally i don't like the looks nor from what i've seen is it better than Scout.
DF30: I like this even more than the Scout in looks. $143. It looks STUNNING. How does it perform though? If it performs atleast as well as the scout a definitely good possibility.
DF35: Also love the looks, $150. If the DF30 is better than the scout, and this is better than the DF30, willing maybe to go up here.
HAF22: Over $155+.. looking very pricey, love the looks a LITTLE better than the Scout, can't really warrant $25+ purely because of that, if it performs better then perhaps.

Power supply: (Urgent - Power cable funny business). Where can i find a power cable for a PSU - As in whats the model of a decent one that is compatible with the 2 Neo Eco's and how much are they? The 520 and 620W don't have one but the 650W does - Automatically leaning towards the 650W purely because I'm not well informed.

Antec ATX NEO 520C ECO 520W PSU. No power cable ($67). Rank 1 PSU on that site for it's output range in Amps.
Don't want to run 2x5770's on this, although could OC reasonably with 1 of em.
Also, I'm guessing i need many more amps for dual 5770s?

or:
Antec Neo Eco 620C 620W PSU (No Power cable) $92. Can CF 2x5770s with good headroom with lil OC

Or:

Antec EarthWatts EA 650 650W Power Supply ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC $103.
Is it better? Sure can OC with this baby the dual GPU's.

HDD:

Western Digital Caviar Black GP 500GB 7200RPM 3GB/S 32MB SATA II ($69) < Yes $69.
No need for 64mb cache from what i see, or splashing out a few more $$ for a Caviar Green which performs at best on par with this. Well excess in storage (in terms of GB).

Audio: In Mobo i think. - Realtek ALC888
Network: In MOBO 1000mbps.
DVD writer: ????? Don't do much but does this mean i can't use CD's?

OS: Either i could TRY sell a Vista Ultimate 32 bit OEM (In some flimsy packaging - my mum got it at a microsoft conference) and then add just a few (10-30) getting Windows 7 home premium, but ultimate sounds ultimate - What are the pros and cons here?

Monitor; any cheap full hd 21-24" will do?
~190USD

All up: $1200~USD = Around $1565, probably $50-60 less in my currency as I'll get parts a lil cheaper perhaps cause of buying so much together, and i can save by combining shipping if i use the same store (1 store has like the 2nd cheapest price for a lot of the parts and gives $6 for 25KG shipping to me so I'll use that).

Basically.

1. Compatibility, is this setup compatible? If i chuck it together, will it work with all features a normal PC has? Am i missing any key parts that a PC should have/ought to?
2. Answer a lot of my questions :D 
3. If it increases performance of a key thing (e.g. FPS / startup times) lots, and only costs a little more thats fine.
However, if it costs 20-30% more to upgrade a part e.g. Graphics card and only increases performance (aka FPS) by 10% its not worth it. Maybe 15%, definitely if its 10% suggest the part. Heck, even if its 20% more expensive, (or less) as probably unless I've said so the prices here are screwed up (Costs same/more for the VX/CX 400/450 from Corsair as it does the 650/620W antecs when apparently the 650W antec performs 95% as well as the HX650W... according to Jonnyguru).

Thanks a bunch for your time!

I'll get someone to help me out if i do end up buying the parts whose doing PC stuff at uni and lives closeby, and most likely he'll be building it with me so >..> i'll have a full check there too, but nobody's perfect and i don't want this blowing up in my face!

Its great value currently compared to what I can buy in the ebay equivalent here (Trademe) - an i5 760 with a 5770 and monitor is almost non existent there for this price point.. not to mention them using $50 Motherboards and kingston valueram instead of my (i hope) reasonably quality parts not to mention they use terrible 450W Tr2s etc for HD 5830's (Apparently theres an extreme AMP shortage even for a 5670 on that PSU...) and that was the most expensive psus i was shown there in there for a PC in the under 1200USD~ price point (within $5 usd of an antec neo eco, less power and instead of rank 1, rank 4-5 probably.. they ought not to be selling PC's when their knowledge of parts is little more than mine so they aren't even spending money effectively). Anyways, tired of the Aywun and acbel PSU's here i am DIY man / boy!
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 8:45:20 AM

vibhas said:

So how am i meant to get it connected to my Monitor????

Graphics: HIS ATI HD 5770 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 ~ $165USd

RAM(med up the @ss?): Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x 2Gb)(1333MHz) DDR3 Performance - $120USD.
I heard corsairs the way to go, and at $35 more than Kingston Value RAM it isn't bad. However, whats the difference as they are the same MHZ and .... im not sure if timings are same / what are best timings.

Case: I'm actually curious about this one:

CM Storm Scout: $130 - Personally love the looks with the LEDS on

HAF22: Over $155+.. looking very pricey, love the looks a LITTLE better than the Scout, can't really warrant $25+ purely because of that, if it performs better then perhaps.

Power supply: (Urgent - Power cable funny business). Where can i find a power cable for a PSU

DVD writer: ????? Don't do much but does this mean i can't use CD's?

OS: Either i could TRY sell a Vista Ultimate 32 bit OEM (In some flimsy packaging - my mum got it at a microsoft conference) and then add just a few (10-30) getting Windows 7 home premium, but ultimate sounds ultimate - What are the pros and cons here?

1. Compatibility, is this setup compatible? If i chuck it together, will it work with all features a normal PC has? Am i missing any key parts that a PC should have/ought to?
2. Answer a lot of my questions :D 
3. If it increases performance of a key thing (e.g. FPS / startup times) lots, and only costs a little more thats fine.
However, if it costs 20-30% more to upgrade a part e.g. Graphics card and only increases performance (aka FPS) by 10% its not worth it. Maybe 15%, definitely if its 10% suggest the part. Heck, even if its 20% more expensive, (or less) as probably unless I've said so the prices here are screwed up (Costs same/more for the VX/CX 400/450 from Corsair as it does the 650/620W antecs when apparently the 650W antec performs 95% as well as the HX650W... according to Jonnyguru).

Thanks a bunch for your time!

I'll get someone to help me out if i do end up buying the parts whose doing PC stuff at uni and lives closeby, and most likely he'll be building it with me so >..> i'll have a full check there too, but nobody's perfect and i don't want this blowing up in my face!

-Your motherboard does not connect to the monitor, your video card does.

-You want to be able to overclock? Then get 1600Mhz RAM. CL9 is fine, preferably something that runs at 1.6V or lower, but for sure no more than 1.65V.

- The HAF will be a bit better cooling, get whichever you like best though as both CM cases are fine.

- Whatever power cable you have now will work. That's the point of not getting another. The world is full of old power cables. They are all identical for your country, and they never wear out. Go to the local charity/used/bargain store where all the old hardware ends up and grab one if you actually need one.

-DVD writers are backwards-compatible with CDs

-If the OEM Vista has ever been installed on a computer it is NOT usable on another computer. OEM versions are married to the motherboard they were installed on. You do not need an ultimate version of Win 7. Win 7 64-bit is the one you want.
m
l
November 1, 2010 8:51:41 AM

Proximon said:
-Your motherboard does not connect to the monitor, your video card does.

-You want to be able to overclock? Then get 1600Mhz RAM. CL9 is fine, preferably something that runs at 1.6V or lower, but for sure no more than 1.65V.

- The HAF will be a bit better cooling, get whichever you like best though as both CM cases are fine.

- Whatever power cable you have now will work. That's the point of not getting another. The world is full of old power cables. They are all identical for your country, and they never wear out. Go to the local charity/used/bargain store where all the old hardware ends up and grab one if you actually need one.

-DVD writers are backwards-compatible with CDs

-If the OEM Vista has ever been installed on a computer it is NOT usable on another computer. OEM versions are married to the motherboard they were installed on. You do not need an ultimate version of Win 7. Win 7 64-bit is the one you want.

Thanks for the video card tip / monitor tip.

Overclock? Do i really need 1600Mhz RAM just to pump up my graphics card alil bit / use turbo boost for the processor or w/e? I looked it up and it doesn't have performance advantages (well any ones that wud even warrant me upgrading) for normal use, is there some significant bottleneck on OCIng with 1333?

Power cable - An old Dell Dimension 3000 having a 250W PSU power cable will work?
Sweet but i'll have to decipher what is what inside there :D 

Ok so i dont need the DVD writer?

The OEM Windows vista ultimate is still in its flimsy packaging - unopened and i know that OEM's are in a sacred and un divorcible relationship =).
What i was tryna ask is that is Windows home premium better than vista ultimate.
If so, is it much better or not?
If so i need to break its heart and marry it off to someone else and try buy the other OS.
An
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 8:57:54 AM

What site are you using?
m
l
November 1, 2010 12:39:34 PM

mosox said:
What site are you using?

Pricespy and gearbot, both NZ sites
m
l
November 1, 2010 7:34:03 PM

mosox said:
Is this build too expensive?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

Mines around 1530NZD including monitor, that one is 1670 without the monitor, but the 5770 instead of the gtx460 (already overkill) will save some as well as computerlounge being rather more expensive than the lowest price although i think the cpu+ram+mobo combo u showed is very good (Around $20 more than my 3 combined and 1600mhz ram alth oit aint corsair :) >

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 8:48:15 PM

If you're gaming the GTX 460 or HD 6850 isn't overkill. Pick a site that has both cards and we'll make a nice Phenom II X4 rig in your budget.
m
l
November 1, 2010 10:11:07 PM

mosox said:
If you're gaming the GTX 460 or HD 6850 isn't overkill. Pick a site that has both cards and we'll make a nice Phenom II X4 rig in your budget.

Hehe I'd much prefer the i5 - 760 compared to Phenom II's cause I've seen a bench on anandtech where its like 60fps with the phenom and over 100 with the i5 :) ,

How much worse is the GTX 460 / 768mb compared to the 1 gig 460.
The 5770 - HIS = $214, the 460 / 768mb EVGA = $245 and the 1gig one is almost 340 o-o.

m
l
November 1, 2010 11:59:57 PM

vibhas said:
Thanks for the video card tip / monitor tip.

Overclock? Do i really need 1600Mhz RAM just to pump up my graphics card alil bit / use turbo boost for the processor or w/e? I looked it up and it doesn't have performance advantages (well any ones that wud even warrant me upgrading) for normal use, is there some significant bottleneck on OCIng with 1333?

Power cable - An old Dell Dimension 3000 having a 250W PSU power cable will work?
Sweet but i'll have to decipher what is what inside there :D 

Ok so i dont need the DVD writer?

The OEM Windows vista ultimate is still in its flimsy packaging - unopened and i know that OEM's are in a sacred and un divorcible relationship =).
What i was tryna ask is that is Windows home premium better than vista ultimate.
If so, is it much better or not?
If so i need to break its heart and marry it off to someone else and try buy the other OS.
An

We normally recommend 1600Mhz when overclocking the CPU on Intel builds. This is because as you increase the BCLK you also raise the minimum frequency of the RAM. 1333Mhz still works for milder overclocks, usually. Often 1600Mhz can be found for the same cost these days though.

The power cable we are talking about is the one that connects the PSU to the wall. The internal cables are all there still. The Antec Neo Eco type PSUs come with a full compliment of cables, except the one that plugs into the wall. for the past 10-15 years all computers/monitors/printers etc. have used identical power cords. I have tons around the house and they are readily available anywhere. I could walk next door and probably they would be eager to give me three or so just to get rid of them (and me maybe ;)  ).

Is Windows 7 Home Premium better than Vista Ultimate? Yes, but it's not going to give you a foot massage or anything. Still, 64-bit Win 7 is probably more compatible for games than Vista 64-bit, so that's your deciding factor. I've been working on an old Vista machine today and I'm sure happy to be done with it :) 

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2010 2:39:37 AM

vibhas said:
Hehe I'd much prefer the i5 - 760 compared to Phenom II's cause I've seen a bench on anandtech where its like 60fps with the phenom and over 100 with the i5 :) ,

No way, a Phenom II X4 + HD 6850 is way faster in games than a i5 + HD 5770. For gaming the GPU matters much more than the CPU. An Athlon II X3 + 6850 is faster than the i5 + HD 5770.
m
l
November 2, 2010 2:49:21 AM

mosox said:
No way, a Phenom II X4 + HD 6850 is way faster in games than a i5 + HD 5770. For gaming the GPU matters much more than the CPU. An Athlon II X3 + 6850 is faster than the i5 + HD 5770.

That might depend on monitor resolution and the actual game. ;) 
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2010 3:49:49 AM

^ That too, but the 955 won't disappoint. With just normal gaming, IE Starcraft 2, TF2, Valve games in general. A 6850 and a 955 will run it fine on max settings. Of course after you OC the 6850. I have my 5850 OC'd with my 955 at 3.9ghz and it runs all my games fine at max settings. The only spot where I do see some areas I'd like to see improved though, if your playing an RTS like, specifically Napoleon Total War (with Medieval Total War II I find no probs, just NTW) you'll see stuttering in faster forward and moving around the map. Other than that. 955 is the best choice for a budget build.
m
l
November 2, 2010 4:21:29 AM

mosox said:

Fine, HD 6850 + 955 vs i5 760 + GTX 460 768mb?

The latter is $50USD less though too!

For the same price are AMD mobos better?

5770 vs GTX 460 @ 768MB is really what im looking at unless theres some more cards around this pricepoint.

I like AMD more than intel, but ive just seen too many AMD processors in low price PC's and its put me off.
I play shooters but nothing 'intensive' on CPU/GPU thats why i was looking at the 5770 as an overkill.

I don't really care about the graphics that mush, although it is nice to have everything looking nice, but much more the game.

Heck, i played CS1.5 for 6 years on off, and atm am dormant (Yes i have CSS and i hate it, even though graphics are better).

57701gb or GTX 460 @ 768MB for $24USD more
The 460 i think is reasonably better and not much more pricey.
certainly looking @ that.

Any idea when the SB's are coming out?
m
l
November 2, 2010 4:23:36 AM

Any time you buy a processor you have to look ahead a bit and try to decide how much time you will get out of it.
Those of us who have been building PCs for 15 years know that any processor will become obsolete in time. Sometimes you get lucky and get 4 years out of one.

So really when you are weighing the two CPUs by themselves and look ahead.... despite benchmarks the truth is they will both become obsolete around the same time :)  At least that is what my experience tells me.

My next personal build is likely to be the next gen Intel LGA 1155 coming Q1 2011.

If I had to choose today I just don't know, but I would PROBABLY get the best card I could for the budget, and fit the CPU/MB in as secondary considerations.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2010 4:27:31 AM

[quoteAt this low price, the Phenom II X4 955 offers incredible gaming value. It is a true quad-core processor with a huge 6 MB L3 cache, but even more impressive at this price is its unlocked multiplier. From our experience, the great majority of Phenom II X4 955 processors can run just as fast as the Phenom II X4 970 with a simple BIOS multiplier change from 16x to 17.5x--an easy way to put this $140 processor on par with a stock $190 Core i7-750.[/quote]

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-overclock,revi...

That CPU at stock frequency can take on any CPU intensive game you can throw at it. And you can overclock it in like 5 seconds to the i5 & i7 level.

But if you play only CS you can get a weaker video card. If you plan to play some other game get a better one.

m
l
November 2, 2010 4:46:40 AM

Proximon said:
Any time you buy a processor you have to look ahead a bit and try to decide how much time you will get out of it.
Those of us who have been building PCs for 15 years know that any processor will become obsolete in time. Sometimes you get lucky and get 4 years out of one.

So really when you are weighing the two CPUs by themselves and look ahead.... despite benchmarks the truth is they will both become obsolete around the same time :)  At least that is what my experience tells me.

My next personal build is likely to be the next gen Intel LGA 1155 coming Q1 2011.

If I had to choose today I just don't know, but I would PROBABLY get the best card I could for the budget, and fit the CPU/MB in as secondary considerations.

Haha, just chuck in 5970 with some random ass $400 parts and $150 monitor or something then =).

I've had my pentium 4 dell @ 2.8ghz
Intel integrated graphics (Paid $90USD for an HD 4350 PCI... NO AGP OR PCIE SLOTS ON A 2005 PC >=/ my dads fault, he thought RAM was internet speed when he bought it ..)
And uhhh 512mb SDRAM >( Upgraded to 1gb SD RAM LoL)
n stuff. for 5- 6 years.

the new SB might be my target, surely AMD phenom II will be dead and buried by that.
Uhhh the 955 ... i dunno the i5 760 sure is a lil bit better than the 750 but if i OC the p2... to be fair i could oc the 760 too so the difference is same if not more. Although anand saw that there was only a 1 fps change between 3.9 and 2.66ghz i5s o-o

When is SB coming out?
m
l
November 2, 2010 4:51:45 AM

^ were you serious about the 5970...
m
l
November 2, 2010 5:00:14 AM

aznshinobi said:
^ were you serious about the 5970...

It could be done on an Athlon II x 4 + a sub 100$ (Think 50USD quality) mobo and a very small HDD

$1000+$150+100+50+70+130 = 1400 + 200 = $1600

Parts would be: 5970 + athlon ii + very cheap mobo + HDD + very long, cheap case + PSU (650w) + monitor
m
l
November 2, 2010 5:04:06 AM

I haven't heard a solid date but no later than February I think.

I think you get what I mean though... have a look at our budget builds. Look at the threads at the top of the forum. If you are looking to maximize FPS there are lots of hints there.

I wish I could just pick your parts for you, but NZ is a bit hard. There are some good resources in Australia and I can usually figure that out.

Often times a good AMD board, for instance an Asus 890GX board with SATA III and such, is priced better than the equivalent P55 board.

I'm not saying go one way or the other, I'm saying keep your options open and you can get the best performance and features for your money. If longevity is VERY important hold out for SB, for sure.

m
l
November 2, 2010 5:07:11 AM

vibhas said:
It could be done on an Athlon II x 4 + a sub 100$ (Think 50USD quality) mobo and a very small HDD

$1000+$150+100+50+70+130 = 1400 + 200 = $1600

Parts would be: 5970 + athlon ii + very cheap mobo + HDD + very long, cheap case + PSU (650w) + monitor

That'd be a terrible decision -_- You'd bottleneck like crazy, not crazy but you'd bottleneck. Plus it'd be such a waste...
m
l
November 2, 2010 7:06:22 AM

Proximon said:
I haven't heard a solid date but no later than February I think.

I think you get what I mean though... have a look at our budget builds. Look at the threads at the top of the forum. If you are looking to maximize FPS there are lots of hints there.

I wish I could just pick your parts for you, but NZ is a bit hard. There are some good resources in Australia and I can usually figure that out.

Often times a good AMD board, for instance an Asus 890GX board with SATA III and such, is priced better than the equivalent P55 board.

I'm not saying go one way or the other, I'm saying keep your options open and you can get the best performance and features for your money. If longevity is VERY important hold out for SB, for sure.

You can pick my parts for me. I've got the sites with all the parts.

Seriously 5770 would be overkill but if you can get a much better card for a lil more do it.

Here are the 2 sites you'll need - http://pricespy.co.nz/ has a lot of the sites at approximate prices and it has all the parts cataloged, for thousands of stores across New Zealand. It basically has a few thousand stores and keeps a lookout for the prices of each part - Much like eBay except all the parts are new and sold by stores not individuals.
However, the prices on pricespy are generally not the lowest.

http://www.gearbot.co.nz/ is the same except it doesn't have a list of the parts, you type in the part name and if its in NewZealand, it'll probably have the lowest price for it (Lower than pricespy as it has more stores).

Wants:

Graphics/PSU: 1x 5770~+, ill buy 2nd (not included in $1600 budget) or if you can find some very good card i just'll need to hold 1. May do slight overclocks (Nothing major just run it cool at -70 degrees)

Processor; Well the best value is either AMD phenoms or i5-760 (i5 750 is more expensive than the 760) so look out for anomalies in prices for all parts!

Motherboard; If you buying a single very very good card for my build just need 1 card support, otherwise CF. Good quality plz ;)  dunno about usb3 doesnt seem necessary (dont use USB stuff except ventrilo which is fine..)

RAM: Anything thats good :) 

Monitor : find 1 or leave aside 250~ for it.

If you can do so thanks!

m
l
November 2, 2010 8:28:03 AM

You keep saying that but a great many excellent games will really like a stronger card, even on a 1680x1050 monitor. 5770 is the lowest I would go for that res on a new build. Even WoW Cataclysm is demanding now.

AMD PII X4 955 -209
http://pconlineshop.co.nz/pcshop/product_info.php?cPath...
These guys actually have most everything at great prices seems like.

Corsair 4GB 1600mhz CL9 -150

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 -152
SATA III, USB 3
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=600018

Sapphire 6870 -400
http://www.pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=7...
Great card for the price.

Antec TP-550 -165
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...
Higher quality PSU and all you will need for the single GPU setup plus overclocking.

Storm Scout -165

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB - 59

Liteon DVD burner -32

m
l
November 3, 2010 2:11:45 AM

Proximon said:
You keep saying that but a great many excellent games will really like a stronger card, even on a 1680x1050 monitor. 5770 is the lowest I would go for that res on a new build. Even WoW Cataclysm is demanding now.

AMD PII X4 955 -209

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 -152
SATA III, USB 3

Sapphire 6870 -400

Antec TP-550 -165
Higher quality PSU and all you will need for the single GPU setup plus overclocking.

Storm Scout -165

Liteon DVD burner -32

I found corsair cl9 for $132, CL8 for $159 and CL7 for $162.

I'm not gonna overclock my RAM so what should i buy?
And should i get the 5850? Its like $40 cheaper.
m
l
November 3, 2010 2:35:34 AM

Well the lower the Cas the faster the ram, I mean sometimes it doesn't matter but if your willing to for it up, just get the CL7. But if you wanna save go with CL9. As for 5850 or 6870, in CF i see the 6870 scale better. But the 5850 in single card is better. HOWEVER, which model is the 5850? Since not all 5850's have voltage unlocked. The only models I know that have it, are the DirectCu from Asus, the Twinfrozr from MSI and the reference models from the old 2009 launch.
m
l
November 3, 2010 3:41:58 AM

aznshinobi said:
Well the lower the Cas the faster the ram, I mean sometimes it doesn't matter but if your willing to for it up, just get the CL7. But if you wanna save go with CL9. As for 5850 or 6870, in CF i see the 6870 scale better. But the 5850 in single card is better. HOWEVER, which model is the 5850? Since not all 5850's have voltage unlocked. The only models I know that have it, are the DirectCu from Asus, the Twinfrozr from MSI and the reference models from the old 2009 launch.

EVGA 5850 is cheaper, but for $20 USD more can get the Directcu

how much faster are we talking cl9 vs cl7?

I can OC without changing voltage right?
Im not looking at a massive overclock anyways.

The problem is, i can get an Overclock edition GTX 460 1gb for 3/4 of the price of the unlocked 5850 (Which costs same as the cheapest 6870) and for an an astonishing $120USD cheaper i can get the 768 mb version of the 460.

Is the GTX 460 / 768mb edition really worth paying almost 70% more compared to the unlocked 5850/6870 ($240NZ vs 400NZ)???
m
l
November 3, 2010 4:52:02 AM

EVGA? Well you won't notice it that much but CL is just the refresh rate of memory i believe. You'll notice it in things like Winrar etc. Involving zip files and archiving things, but CL9 to CL7 isn't a HUGE deal.

OCing what? The memory or the vga card?

Finally, ok if the 768mb is that cheap just go for it. I mean you can OC a 460 to 850 core clock and it'll run most games like a beast. So I think that's a better option for your build, go with the 768mb version of the 460. However what models are there? Is there a cheap MSI Cyclone 460 or a cheap Directcu 460?
m
l
November 3, 2010 5:14:27 AM

aznshinobi said:
EVGA? Well you won't notice it that much but CL is just the refresh rate of memory i believe. You'll notice it in things like Winrar etc. Involving zip files and archiving things, but CL9 to CL7 isn't a HUGE deal.

OCing what? The memory or the vga card?

Finally, ok if the 768mb is that cheap just go for it. I mean you can OC a 460 to 850 core clock and it'll run most games like a beast. So I think that's a better option for your build, go with the 768mb version of the 460. However what models are there? Is there a cheap MSI Cyclone 460 or a cheap Directcu 460?

Anands: GTX 460 768MB Reference 675MHz

however these all beat his stock one:

DirectCU = $275 - 700MHZ
MSI = $279, but don't think this is the cyclone one - MSI GeForce N460GTX-M2D768D5 768MB PCI-E Graphic Card
(Doesnt say how much its stock is )

Cheapest is $239 (Galaxy GF) - 700MHZ

Also 1GB

EVGA GeForce GTX460 1GB DDR5 Over Clocking Version , for $304 - 720MHZ

For 363 or w/e theres a 763MHZ Superclock one

and : 2GB

Palit GF GTX 460 SONIC PCI-E 2.0 2GB DDR5 256-bit, 700MHz / 3600MHz, Dual-Link DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, Fan
- 700MHZ
for $370 (still $30 less than HD 5850 CU and HD 6870)
m
l
November 3, 2010 5:29:26 AM

Well many people may disagree with me. But I say go with the DirectCu 460 768mb version. It OC's really good and really cool, and really works even if you have bad case air flow. People disagree because it's worth spending to get to 1gb. But since your on a budget, you'll just OC it easily to a 1gb's performance.
m
l
November 3, 2010 5:34:33 AM

aznshinobi said:
Well many people may disagree with me. But I say go with the DirectCu 460 768mb version. It OC's really good and really cool, and really works even if you have bad case air flow. People disagree because it's worth spending to get to 1gb. But since your on a budget, you'll just OC it easily to a 1gb's performance.

Its not like i can't spend the money, its that i dont see the benefit in upgrading from a graphics card that is $240 to one that is $400, when they have been compared in so many benchmarks and are actually reasonably similiar in performance.

Why is the DirectCU better than the Galaxy - They both have a core clock that is 700MHZ - is the CU a better overclocker?

Also, if a DirectCU is better, why not get the 720MHZ GTX 460 1GB for another $30?
(If u havent i suggest u read my above post i editted it to show clocks of all of them).

answer all them ^ Q's thanks :) 

m
l
November 3, 2010 8:34:27 PM

the DCU is better than getting SOC (720mhz) because IMO the DCU overclocks and runs cooler than the EVGA SOC 460. That's my reason at least. The Galaxy although with the same stock clocks doesn't have the cooling solution to match the DCU.
m
l
November 4, 2010 2:07:46 AM

aznshinobi said:
the DCU is better than getting SOC (720mhz) because IMO the DCU overclocks and runs cooler than the EVGA SOC 460. That's my reason at least. The Galaxy although with the same stock clocks doesn't have the cooling solution to match the DCU.

Mhm, looked around for Mobos with SLI support for AMD processors.
From my meager pickings i found that the nforce mobo is priced around $10 more than the P55 one of reasonable quality that i found, meaning that an AMD 955 no longer has an insane $150 mobo+processor advantage ($90 cheaper than i5 760, but if i want dual Graphics i need to pay $70 more than the M489 mobo you suggested), furthermore, that mobo only supports 1066/1333/2000 MHZ RAm.

I'm thinking of going back to the i5, as the 955 will only save me $70~, with a poorer quality MOBO and poorer quality RAM at the same price as the 1600MHZ RAM.

I was wanting the GTX 460 as it is clearly now a lot cheaper ~Over 110USD than the 6870 and has excellent scaling abilities - enough to trump the GTX 480 at any resolution by 10-30%, and coming @ 69fps where the 5970 came at 63 fps in a benchmark. - Thats the 768mb versions too!
(I'll get the 2nd card later, or now if im greedy esp. since graphics cards do not stay here long, a site offering the cheapest price now has phased it out as a 'discontinued' model. However still - Only $90 more for 2x 460's w/ 768mb compared to a 6870, and atleast 75-80% more performance.

All i need now is to find a cheap mobo supporting 2x PCIe x16 and the graphics maybe set for now, but SB and co. is a different matter
m
l
November 4, 2010 2:20:36 AM

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=627951

I'm told the board doesn't have ps/2 mouse support.

Surely a mistake?

Anyways if it is a mistake, you got any info?

It has SLI support and is cheaper than the previous UDR3 (or UD3 i forget) board i wanted by $20 and CF etc support too, as well as the 2x PCIe x16 lanes.
m
l
November 4, 2010 3:00:28 AM

Proximon said:

AMD PII X4 955 -209

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 -152
SATA III, USB 3

Sapphire 6870 -400

Antec TP-550 -165

Storm Scout -165

Liteon DVD burner -32

I agree with most of this except maybe instead of 6870 using 6850s or gtx 470 but just my thoughts. Juest wondering does any one know when TH is releasing their next build of marathon builds (the 500$ pick 1000$ pick and 2000$ pick?)
m
l
November 4, 2010 3:36:20 AM

preolt said:
I agree with most of this except maybe instead of 6870 using 6850s or gtx 470 but just my thoughts. Juest wondering does any one know when TH is releasing their next build of marathon builds (the 500$ pick 1000$ pick and 2000$ pick?)

Yea, but according to charts GTX 460 768mb is 7% worse across all resolutions (and most of that due to 2560x1600 resolution, which i am not going to get).

I could get 2x GTX 460, 768mb for only 100USD more than a single 6850 which gives more 180% of the performance of a single 6850.

Mobo is cheaper too
m
l
November 5, 2010 10:36:12 AM

bump 4 help
m
l
!