Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual LAN on motherboard function as a router possibility?

Last response: in Networking
May 16, 2010 5:24:17 AM

Hope I have the right forum here, but I have an ASUS P6TD Deluxe V2 motherboard in my PC, and it has 2 LAN ports. I have one LAN port hooked up to my cable modem for my internet connection, and it works great. I then just recently got a PS3. Is it possible to plug the PS3 into the second LAN port, and have it somehow connect to that internet connection that way? In essence, sort of like using my PC as a router? The obvious solution to hooking up both my PC and PS3 to the internet would be buying a router, but for reasons of cost (purchasing a router), clutter (having yet another device on my desk), and frankly coolness (utilizing my new comp to its fullest) I thought I'd explore this idea. I don't know if the hardware is even "wired" to do such a thing, or perhaps if there might be some software out there that could do it. I'm somewhat new to networking and such, but I built this PC recently, and was hoping maybe someday that extra LAN port might come in handy. Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 6:15:53 AM

aleswigger said:
Hope I have the right forum here, but I have an ASUS P6TD Deluxe V2 motherboard in my PC, and it has 2 LAN ports. I have one LAN port hooked up to my cable modem for my internet connection, and it works great. I then just recently got a PS3. Is it possible to plug the PS3 into the second LAN port, and have it somehow connect to that internet connection that way? In essence, sort of like using my PC as a router?Thanks!

[#0005ff]The intention is that you use one to connect to the Net and other for a secure LAN so yes, you can create a LAN and share the Net connection. You won't need additional software but simply use the Operating System's built-in IP directing functionality to create the LAN - say, 10.0.0.1 etc and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 while the Net connection has whatever the MODEM dictates.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 16, 2010 6:47:55 AM

OK. So I let the Net connection stay what it is, which is detect everything automatically (modem dictated). I am using Windows 7 64, and I can't figure out how to setup its built-in IP directing functionality to create the secure LAN for that second port connection.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2010 10:40:10 PM

Thank you both for the great replies, that got me pointed in the right direction. Sounds like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is the proper terminology for what I'm trying to do. I probably should've titled this post "ICS PC & PS3 Help" or something like that.

Anyway, I went to the suggested link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US [...] on-Sharing
and found that same info in my Windows 7 Help as well, amazingly enough. I followed the tutorials and did everything I could find and think of following that link and windows help. Yet I still can't get the PS3 to link up to the internet. It looks like I've got both LAN connections to the right settings, basically it recommends everything be set to auto find IP addresses/setting etc, and my Internet Connection in LAN port 1 is set to allow to share. Yet the PS3 in LAN port 2 still cannot find the internet connection. I don't know if this is a PC issue, or a PS3 issue or what. But I think from the PS3 end of things it shouldn't be complicated. It has a simple "Internet Connection Test" that is pretty good at automatically finding your internet link and setting up the proper settings. I can plug the internet connection directly into the PS3 and it works fine, so I know its capable. Yet I've done what the Windows tutorial suggests, and nothing.

Could it be as Saga Lout suggested that I need to manually configure some IP addresses and settings on the PC and/or PS3? I am unfamiliar with that stuff, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
m
l
May 17, 2010 10:47:00 PM

OK I just googled "ICS PS3" and found someone else trying to do this on a PS3 chat forum. Someone suggested you need something called a "CAT5 or CAT6 crossover" ethernet cable, rather than just a regular ethernet cable for this operation. Does that sound right? I will attempt to find one of those and give it a try tonight.
m
l

Best solution

May 18, 2010 4:38:07 AM

If you're connecting directly from the PS3 to the computer you very well may need a crossover cable, however <most> systems will auto detect and correct it, however crossover cable is the "safe" way. Do you get any link light on the PS3 and computer? Also when you try to set it up on the PS3 does it show any IP information or anything? Worst case post an "ipconfig /all" from your Windows 7 command line and we can give you the proper settings for the PS3 to be setup manually. Do this only after verifying a link light / trying the cross over cable.
July 13, 2010 8:57:21 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
l
!