Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Raid 0 secondary in Windows 8?

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 10, 2013 10:39:01 PM

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS.

Okay, so previously I had Windows 7 installed and I was running the OS off a SSD and I had two 500gb drives in a Raid 0 configuration as my secondary drive.

Today I got Windows 8 and did a fresh install. It wouldn't even let me install until I disabled my raid configuration. So I disabled it, and it finally installed. After installation and updates, I went back and enabled my raid configuration again, however once I did this it wouldn't boot because it can't see my SSD.

Its either disabling my SSD when I enable Raid, or recognizing my SSD with no Raid...

Iv tried playing with the settings in a ton of different configurations but I am losing my mind at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

More about : raid secondary windows

a b G Storage
February 10, 2013 10:42:38 PM

That's weird. Check if the SATA channel you got your SSD plugged into is set to AHCI and not RAID.
And make sure SSD is selected as first boot device.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 10:51:41 PM

Soda-88 said:
That's weird. Check if the SATA channel you got your SSD plugged into is set to AHCI and not RAID.
And make sure SSD is selected as first boot device.


Ok so my MB is pretty terrible, so I can only set Sata ports 1-4 as a whole, and 5-6 as a whole. So I have 5-6 as IDE (only way my DVDROM works) and I tried 1-4 as AHCI and RAID. If I set it to RAID, my SSD doesn't show, so Windows never boots. If I set it to AHCI, my RAID is gone and I have 2 500gb hard drives available.

I have no idea how I got it working before, because it only took me 10 minutes and now I don't know if I am just stupid and its right in front of my face, or its a compatibility issue using Windows 8?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
a c 531 G Storage
February 10, 2013 11:11:20 PM

mcperson2k said:
Iv tried playing with the settings in a ton of different configurations but I am losing my mind at this point.


Have you tried this?:

1.) Remove all drives, remove your motherboard's battery & clear your motherboard's CMOS
2.) Reinsert the battery and connect your SSD to port SATA3G_1
3.) Boot into BIOS and set ports SATA3G_1 thru SATA3G_4 to RAID mode
4.) Save your BIOS settings and reboot into BIOS
5.) If your BIOS recognizes your SSD then reboot to your Windows installation disk and try to do a fresh install

Since your SSD is not part of an actual RAID array it will automatically default to AHCI mode.

If the above steps work then after Windows installation is complete then connect your HDDs to ports SATA3G_2 & SATA3G_3.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 11:15:08 PM

Dereck47 said:
Have you tried this?:

1.) Remove all drives, remove your motherboard's battery & clear your motherboard's CMOS
2.) Reinsert the battery and connect your SSD to port SATA3G_1
3.) Boot into BIOS and set ports SATA3G_1 thru SATA3G_4 to RAID mode
4.) Save your BIOS settings and reboot into BIOS
5.) If your BIOS recognizes your SSD then reboot to your Windows installation disk and try to do a fresh install

Since your SSD is not part of an actual RAID array it will automatically default to AHCI mode.

If the above steps work then after Windows installation is complete then connect your HDDs to ports SATA3G_2 & SATA3G_3.


How do I clear the CMOS?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 531 G Storage
February 10, 2013 11:20:01 PM

On your motherboard it's called "RTC RAM". See page 1-18 of your motherboard manual.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 2:05:19 AM

Yeah for some reason, it isn't recognizing my SSD when I set it at RAID in the Sata configuration... Not sure what to do, or why it worked before?
m
0
l
!