Do i need graphic card for M4A785TD-V EVO

AddyR

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello, I built my first pc, and want to use the onboard graphics, but all I get is green/blue stripes on screen (tried 2 working monitors). I bought the speaker for beep codes and I get the 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps. Do I need to buy a graphic card? Please help me.

Solution
Other steps you might try:
.. Reseat the 20/24 pin power connector and the 4/8 pin ATA power connector on the MB.
.. Try clearing CMOS ( power off, disconnect PSU from wall and short the clear CMOS jumper, wait 5 min and remove jumper.
.. Remote possibility is the BIOS needs to be update (but as I said Very remote). But for this you would need video to be able to do this.

As to dedicated video card:
For about $50 (low end)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600100181%20600144171&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206450
For about $100 (and much better than the $50 cards and much better than the IGP...
No, it should work with the onboard IGP.
From Specs:
ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU
SidePort Memory - onboard 128MB DDR3 1333 memory.

Did not see beep code in your manual.
Depending on the bios:
... Possible memory problem - Try with just one stick of ram. make sure ram is in preferred slots (see MB manual). Can also try reseating the Ram, sometimes it does not seat fully - make sure the 2 locking tabs are locked.

... Problem initializing video circuit. (may need to RMA card.

You could try a Dedicated Video card, but it should work with-out one, have you got one that you can try. If that works and you can not get onboard to work then RMA the MB.

AddyR

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I thank you for prompt reply! I've spent hours on different forums, trying to find cause/solution to this problem, but never dare to post a thread!

I found some beep code info here http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060321081927477&board_id=1&model=A8N-SLI+Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us :

"1 long + 3 short = No video card or bad video RAM"
---that's why I thought I needed the dedicated graphic card---

just wanted to let you know... I did also read the manual from start to finish, re-built the mobo; I did reseat the RAM, tried one stick at the time on each of the slots, same result. I am not sure what would be the best/easy thing to do:
--RMA mobo,
--or buy a dedicated graphics card... (if so, could you suggest one?)

what's best to do? I mean, I really need to finish this build asap, I tried asus technical support and not sure where to start...RMA could take weeks, I am not sure! I am not lazy, is just that I tried quite a few things already :cry:
I greatly appreciate further suggestions!

Other steps you might try:
.. Reseat the 20/24 pin power connector and the 4/8 pin ATA power connector on the MB.
.. Try clearing CMOS ( power off, disconnect PSU from wall and short the clear CMOS jumper, wait 5 min and remove jumper.
.. Remote possibility is the BIOS needs to be update (but as I said Very remote). But for this you would need video to be able to do this.

As to dedicated video card:
For about $50 (low end)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600100181%20600144171&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206450
For about $100 (and much better than the $50 cards and much better than the IGP:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600100181%20600150232&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206770

Question: Is it possible (ie within 30 days) to return to where you bought it from as it was defective. Faster turn-around time.

Solution

AddyR

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
hi there, and thanks again!
I just finish doing what you suggested, reseat the 20/24 pin power connector, also the 4/8...I clear CMOS,...but didn't help.
I plugged the monitor again, I get some "purplish" lines on screen, and the same beeps.

I tried returning the product last night (to the supplier geeks.com) but is not covered, it says "90 days direct", so I have to go through manufacturer warranty, sigh! I tried the troubleshooting steps from them also : http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M4A785TD-V%20EVO&s=24&hashedid=fcsXWSxnhzZE9rnR&os=&no=978 ..... just as additional info.

you know, this mobo costed me about $72.00, I thought I was getting a deal, but maybe I was wrong (I only got the mobo, no sata cables, no i/o shield, etc)..and am having problems with it...

--- I think I will try the dedicated video card suggestion.... I do truly appreciate (again) your prompt reply to my problem, really!
I hope this nightmare ends soon, lol!!

I might be frustrated now, but will learn from experience, and it's not a bad thing! :)

As they say - Experience is the best teacher! Expensive @ $72.

One additional step, Do you have a spare "good" PSU to try.
What is your PSU? as power problem from PSU could also cause ie low +12V.
Many "first" time builders do not realize just how important a "GOOD" PSU is and often get one that is very poorly built. You should alway google a review of the PSU before buying.

Added: You could buy a $15 Digital multimeter from Walmart and measure the +12 V rail and verify that it at or above 11.6V and the +5V is above 4.75V.
Simply set the meter to VDC, connect the black meter lead to a molex connector (4 pin pwr connector) center pin, also black, and the red meter lead to the end pin of the molex connector (red wire is the +5 V and the yellow or orange wire at the other end is the +12V

DVMs (Digital voltmeters) are very handy around the home and the car - NOT just for computers.
They are very simple to use, Just google " how to use a digital voltmeter "

AddyR

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
:) thanks! yes, my PSU is Rosewill | RD450-2-SB 450W RT, I bought it for it was recommended on a site...you know for this build, all components I bought are supposed to be compatible, and I did google every part separately looking for a good deal on each one!! possibly a newbie mistake, buying from different suppliers, lol.

--- and yes, I will try your suggestion on the DVM, sounds interesting and also a good tool to learn something new! You rock! thanks for trying to help me! :)

--- I will post as soon as I have something good to say about this build... shouldn't take more than a week. oh! and I ordered one dedicated video card from newegg (read the reviews, compared to price, etc....) and since I am in a budget, I ordered one with a $15 rebate, and free shipping :D PowerColor Go! Green AX6450 1GBK3-SH Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video ... , total price will be 46.99-15.00 = $31.99! not bad hu?? lol, sorry for long post, I do like giving as much info as I can, just in case

Thanks so much!!

AddyR

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
hehe! thanks for the info about this PSU! I am really new to all this hardware stuff.... I imagine that before buying anything, one needs to do lots of research! as mentioned before, this is my first build.

--regarding the problem I had: It is resolved!!! I ordered a graphics card from Newegg and received it today (really fast shipping, and free!).... anyways, I installed the card and now I can boot on bios with no problem!!! I am soooo glad I didn't have to RMA neither the RAM nor the mobo :love: (I could RMA mobo for the onboard graphics not working, but it would've been a hassle, I was required to go thru manufacturer for RMA, more hours waiting, more days, in fact: it's exactly 30 days today form the day I received the PC parts and started building :pfff: so it was urgent to me to get it out of my way :sweat: ) .. I really appreciate all the help I got in this forum, really! In the near future, if ok, I would like to post more questions :sol:

--- RetiredChief: I am so impressed with all your knowledge ;) !! I received from you, in few moments, what it took me hours, days, to research on the different forums out there!!!!

I THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! (and sorry for my grammar)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: