Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down after a few seconds

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2011 6:56:15 PM

hi,

A few days ago I went to turn on my desktop computer and before I could push the power button a large jolt of static electricity shot out of my finger and turned on the computer. From then on the power button did nothing and when I flipped the power switch on the power supply from off to on it would run for about 3-5seconds then shut off. I tried replacing the PSU but had the exact same problem with the new PSU. I've tried disconnecting video cards, cd drives, swapping out RAM, disconnecting the power button etc. to try to isolate the problem. All of the fans run for the short time it comes on and the mobo LED stays on. I feel that after all i've tried it has to be a shorted out mobo or cpu damage. What do you guys think? Is there anything else I can try before resorting to buying a new mobo?

More about : computer shuts seconds

a c 886 à CPUs
January 26, 2011 7:41:42 PM

So when you disconnected the power button did you start the computer with a screwdriver?
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:45:25 PM

No the power button on the front of the computer was disconnected. I flipped the power switch on the power supply from off to on and it starts for a few seconds.
m
l
Related resources
a c 886 à CPUs
January 26, 2011 7:50:07 PM

Sounds like a short on the motherboard then. It should not start with the power supply switch!
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:53:32 PM

Yea that's what I figured, thanks for confirming my worst fear haha. What would be causing it to start when I do flip the PSU switch?
m
l
a c 886 à CPUs
January 26, 2011 7:58:35 PM

Normally using the power button you short the two pins that it connects to, if there is a short in that circuit it will start up with the PSU switch.
m
l
!