New build: power supply issue

viper588

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
So im building a new computer with a thermaltake black widow 850w PSU. Whenever i start the computer i usually see "cmos settings wrong" at start up and then i lose video and the computer just sits there running on a black screen. I swapped in my 850w corsair PSU and the computer starts up and runs fine with no problems. I installed windows, shut the computer down swapped the thermaltake PSU back in and i get the same cmos error and lose video as before. I have returned the power supply twice and gotten a new one twice so i dont think that all 3 PSU's are faulty. Im am not new to computers and building them but i am by no means an expert and i am lost at the moment. I have swapped out all other parts of the computer with known working ones and it is no doubt the power supply but i do not understand why. I also swapped the thermal take into my know working system that i am on now and it also shows the same problem of no video on start. Thank you in advance for any help!

viper588

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
A friend built a very similar setup with same mobo using same power supply so i assumed compatability was not an issue though i did return it for a corsair 800w and boots up fine now with no problems so you may be right.

System specs for anyone interested were:
Biostar A770E3 mobo
Thermaltake Black widow 850w PSU
4Gb DDR3 g skill ripjaw
ATI 5670 1gb
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

Thanks everyone!

The Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W OEM is HEC (Heroichi Electronic Company).

Here's what Hardware Secrets said about the 750 Watt version of that power supply:

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.