Sign in with
Your question

MSATA vs SSD

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2013 2:51:39 AM

In an HP DV7, there is a 32GB mSATA card acting a cache to the 7200rpm hard drive. I'm going to reconfigure the lap top and add a real 128GB SSD as a boot drive. Question is which is faster for my second drive: the existing 7200 rpm drive with the 32gb mSATA cache or disable the mSATA and replace the existing drive with a new 7200 Hybrid drive?

Thanks

More about : msata ssd

February 11, 2013 5:36:04 AM

Hybrid drive is almost no different to what you are going to do. Hybrid is just a combo between HDD and SSD. So if you just have these two choices, I advise you to stay with what you have
m
l
February 18, 2013 2:00:42 AM

OK... another question...
The laptop came with Win 8 and UEFI so I assume it is using GPT format for the drives. I notice that if I try install Win7 on a clean drive, it sets up additional partitions (large partitions) labeled "System" that are not accessible. Is UEFI / GPT that much better or faster than BIOS / MBR? It is worth it to give up the extra disc space? Or should I revert back to the BIOS and traditional MBR format?

Thanks in advance.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 28, 2013 9:47:21 PM

My new laptop has a 750GB 7200 RPM drive that will be used as a second drive. It is cached via Intel's Smart Drive Technology via a dedicated 32GB mSata solid state cache. There is a seperate 256GB SSD that I use as a boot drive. I'd like to get a TB of storage and have a 1TB 5400 RPM drive available to replace the 7200 RPM drive. My thoughts are that since this drive will be cached with the 32GB dedicated cache - the 5400 vs 7200 RPM performance will probably be a non factor? What do you think?
m
l
a b α HP
a c 812 G Storage
February 28, 2013 10:23:10 PM

I would convert the 32gb ssd from caching to a boot brive and use the hdd to install all the other programs to.
m
l
March 1, 2013 2:28:55 AM

it already has a 256GB SSD Boot Drive. The 32GB dedicated SS Cache will remain a cache.
m
l
March 1, 2013 3:38:19 AM

Thx1326 said:
it already has a 256GB SSD Boot Drive. The 32GB dedicated SS Cache will remain a cache.

So you're caching your SSD or what's going on in there?
The thing is, a good mSATA SSD is usually SLC structured and is optimized for caching unlike a dedicated SSD which is MLC based. If you are using a dedicated SSD for boot, there's absolutely no USE for an mSATA SSD to cache anything. You shouldn't have bought a laptop that had an mSATA slot in it if you knew you're going to upgrade to a dedicated SSD anyway, that just drove up the price. What I would do is sell the current mSATA SSD to someone in need of it and just live with my awesome SSD boot and have like 3TB external storage HDD. Easy peasy.
m
l
March 5, 2013 12:27:36 AM

XYMan said:
So you're caching your SSD or what's going on in there?
The thing is, a good mSATA SSD is usually SLC structured and is optimized for caching unlike a dedicated SSD which is MLC based. If you are using a dedicated SSD for boot, there's absolutely no USE for an mSATA SSD to cache anything. You shouldn't have bought a laptop that had an mSATA slot in it if you knew you're going to upgrade to a dedicated SSD anyway, that just drove up the price. What I would do is sell the current mSATA SSD to someone in need of it and just live with my awesome SSD boot and have like 3TB external storage HDD. Easy peasy.

The mSata is caching only the 7200 rpm scorpio black drive. There is no need to cache the SSD.
m
l
!