Newly assembled PC not booting (not booted even for once)....help ASAP

shishir

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I currently reside in New-Delhi, INDIA
I won a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev.2.0) which was shipped from Taiwan to me through DHL in August 2010. So therefore I am not having any PURCHASE BILL . Can DHL shipment papers be a good proof for 'date of purchase' to get my motherboard repaired in warranty?

Now the main query :-

CPU : Intel Core i7-950 (3.06GHz)
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master N620
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Ram : Kingston 3x2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9
GPU : Zotac GTX 460 1GB (SKU ZT-40402-10P)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda XT (2TB) SATA
PSU : Cooler Master Extreme Series 600W
Case : Cooler Master HAF922
Keyboard & Mice : Logitech K350 & M310
Monitor : BenQ E2420HD (24" )

I have an original Windows-XP Professional SP2 installation CD (successfully been used on other computers).
(This is the first time the motherboard and each and every other component is going to be used).
When I try to install from it, it copies all the files to the Hard Disk and then installs the windows from there. When it reads Hard Disk (for installation), it says xxxxxx.xxx file missing (xxxxxx.xxx corresponds to different-different files since sometimes different files show error, but once at a time). More generally it says "NTFS.SYS" missing.
Then, I tried installing Windows-7 Enterprise, but first it refused to detect Hard Disk and then on trying it again (from starting), it detected it this time but had some problem copying some file. Then after that, my Hard Disk is sometimes not detected (around 7/10 times not detected).
I have another Hard Disk (PATA) of another computer on which Windows-XP-PRO-SP3 and Windows-7-Enterprise are (both) installed. I plugged that Hard Disk in IDE port and power it up. Then when I booted my PC using it, just after selecting the OS (2 OS's installed) a blue screen is flashed for a fraction of second and the computer reboots. Please tell me what is the problem with it.

shishir

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Dude its a Barracuda XT....what do you want more???.....7200 rpm....64MB cache......138 MB/s sustained sequential read.....112 MB/s sustained sequentioal write (real read/write performance)......Second fastest HDD in world (first is WD Velociraptor)....do i need to speak more???

suteck

Distinguished
Not to sound like a broken record but I have to agree with cmcghee358. Your second hard drive that already has an operating system on it will not boot, but only because it doesn't have that Gigabyte's motherboard's drivers installed on it with XP. That's why it starts to boot with the windows XP logo then blue screens/ It starts loading drivers and crashes because it has the wrong ones, (different ones), installed. You say it's the first time that 2TB hard drive has been used? It might have been damaged during shipping. It's easy to do, 1 drop, close call with high voltage, shaken real hard will cause the arms to trickle off their prearranged settings. One thing to try is to put it in your old system, the one the XP drive came out of? And see if it will load an operating system there. (the new drive is an S-ata drive but the old system is probably an ide and you can't plug it in? I'm guessing. Another thing to try is to install it as a second drive in your old system and do a chkdsk on it and see if it passes that. (of course again, if you can plug it in). And a third thing is to put it back in the new system and when it asks where to install the OS create a partition only using a portion of that drive and see if that works. Last thing/or first thing to try is to try installing either of the operating systems you have (XP or the Win 7 enterprise) on the P-ata drive on the new computer. You can either wipe it first, losing all the information contained there as you know, or try creating another partition and then installing, (which might wipe your information anyway so be prepared). Make sure you have the cd/dvd player as the first boot device or hit the F12 key to enter boot menu and tell it to start that one time on the cd/dvd drive for installation. I think the default startup is the hard drive so you will either need to change that in bios, (delete key to enter bios), or use the F12 method. Try these and let us know what happens and we can go from there. The only other 2 things I can think of is - you don't have a spare hard drive laying around to try? (sorry gotta ask) or can you buy a cheap used one like on ebay or something?

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I suggest popping in a live Linux CD and booting from that. If it boots successfully and works for 10-15min, you can be sure the problem is in your HDD. You might need to buy a new one in that case.

PS - (Off topic) I doubt your claim of the Barracuda being the 'second fastest HDD in the world'. Sure, its among the fastest, but the WD Caviar Black, the single platter Samsung Spinpoint etc. are pretty fast too.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Considering HP has 15k RPM drives, plus now days most high end systems have moved on to SSDs. For large storage like 2 TB, why would anyone get a fast drive, I mean really?

Makes no sense to me. But the OP came off kind of annoying so I haven't been back since.

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
Get SeaTools for DOS (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/seatooldreg). They have an .iso that you burn to a CD and boot to the CD. It brings up a GUI environment from which you can test any Seagate drive installed on your PC.

suteck

Distinguished

^ + 1 Nice tool!