Which raid adapter to get.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
do cheap raid adapters cancell out any other high end parts in a computer?
I want to confit 2 1tb wd red hard drives to raid 0 and after reading for hours and hours I dont know what raid to buy.
if you can help me please tell me what information is needed to determine what is the cheapest raid adapter I can get.
thank you

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
What is the purpose of setting up raid0? Does your motherboard support raid (ie, built in raid controller)? What OS are you using? There is very little (if any) to gain from a hardware raid as oppose to software raid for raid0 since there is no parity calculation involved. So you can save yourself the time and money by setting up software raid if your OS supports it.

If you truly want to get a raid card, then anyone will do for raid0. If you plan in using other raid levels in the future, stay away from highpoint cards.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
The raid 0 I recommended but as I understand it not needed for use with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.
The motherboard is asus p8z77 v pro / thunderbolt lga
it says it supports raid 0 and as I understand it also has it built in. I just have to connect wires to it.
OS is windows 8 pro 64 bit, I have read about software raid but wasn’t sure if it would hurt performance.

If you could also help me with what is below.
the mother board only has 3 sata 6 ports and I want to connect
the SSD with OS to one and am also wondering if it would pay to connect the 2 raid hard drives
also to sata 6. My understanding is that the best way to do this would be to get a card that supports it.
or should I just connect those 2 and the drive I am going to use as one of my project and file holders to the sata 3 ports.
Intel® Z77 chipset : *5
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *5

Are these additional Sata ports or just another kind my mobo supports?
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *6
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
Thank you for your help.

Tom

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Get another ssd to store your video files and you will get better performance than any RAID configuration.

Base on your MB manual, the P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT has:
2xAsmedia sataIII (navy blue)
2xIntel z77 sataIII (grey)
4xIntel z77 sataII (blue)

The manual did not clearly state if all the Intel z77 ports are part of the RAID set or only the blue sataII ports. The connection section (2.2.8) did state that you can use the sataIII ports for raid 0, 1, 5 and 10 so I assume they are included. Maybe someone with a similar board can provide clarification. Base on the manual, I would connect the OS SSD to Asmedia ports (navy blue). If you get another SSD for your video files, you can use the second Asmedia port. The WD Red drives should be connected to the grey ports for RAID. You can add additional drives to the remaining blue ports to expand your RAID array. If you grey ports are not included in the RAID, then connect the WD drives to the blue ports only.

Hope that helps.

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
wow it does help and it is really nice for you to have done all this for me.
I like your idea about using 1 SSD instead of 2 WD Red with raid 0. I was not going to use the 2 raid 0 disks for storage only to be used while working with premier pro or maybe other demanding applications later on. so I am guessing that the 2 SSD's will still be a better choice then 1 for the op and 2 wd reds.

I will also be adding a dvd or blue ray drive and I also need a card reader. to be honest while I did a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos of system builds right now I dont know how or where to connect.

cost is becoming an issue so I may have to choose the cheaper option for premiers recommendations.

again I have to say it was really nice of you to make that post.

Tom

tomvtx1300c

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I ended up going with 2 kingston hyper x 3k 240 gb ssd;s and one blue for back up.now that I am not getting the reds would I plug the blue into where you wanted me to plug the red?
I think this is a much better system than what I almost got pre bullt. thanks to this forum I think I did really good. thanks.