Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My computer lags and I don't know why.

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2011 8:37:49 PM

As of late my computer has started lagging...a lot. Heres an example, while I am typing this my letters are appearing about 1 second after I type them. This is an off and on thing. it will be normal for about 1 second then lag for 1 second and so on and so fourth. I have taken apart my computer inch by inch and have cleaned every single thing I could get my hands on. I'm thinking its in the CPU but hopefully one of you guys can help me out.

More about : computer lags

a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 8:52:17 PM

It would be nice if you show your system specs :) 
Score
January 26, 2011 10:21:03 PM

download ccleaner and clean your computer, and then defrag your hard drive and then try.
could show some improvement, but please provide system specs.
Score
Related resources
January 27, 2011 1:41:49 AM

This is an old computer but its been good and I'm wondering if its time to just get a new one. Thanks you much!
I upgraded the RAM to 2 GB's which in turn bumped the speed up to 1.60 GHz.
DF261 Assembly, Adapter, Alternating Current, 65W, Mobile 2007, Hipro World Wide
2 W5966 Dual In-line Memory Module 2GB, 533, 128X64, 8K, 200
1 UN023 Kit, Software, Overpack, VB32 Digital Video Disk Drive English
1 JP969 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., DELL MEDIA DIRECT..., 3, VSTA, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE...
1 DY654 Kit, Software, Works, 8.5, Office TRIAL, English
1 TJ691 Hard Drive, 80GB, Serial Ata 9.5, 5.4, T060
1 UD264 Battery, Primary, 13.2V, 6C Lithium, Sanyo
1 DF771 CORD..., Power, 125, 1M, C7, 2P Dual, United States
1 PD007 PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., I6400, DAO/EMEA
1 X4474 Guide, Product, Information Portable, AMF/BCC
1 WF148 Card, Graphics, 256MB, M54 I6400
1 DT610 Assembly, DVD=/-RW, 8X, NEC CORPORATION..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...

1 MK442 Heatsink, CPU/MCH, Notebook, 6400

1 TX888 Processor, T5200, 1.6, 2MB, NRM, BURN 2...
Score
January 27, 2011 2:01:36 AM

rajaawad23 said:
download ccleaner and clean your computer, and then defrag your hard drive and then try.
could show some improvement, but please provide system specs.

Already tried that. I also have the most up to date Anti spyware for my computer. McAfee 2011 edition
Score
January 27, 2011 10:31:49 AM

mafee will slow down your computer, tried it my self, I use Avast (http://avast.en.softonic.com/download#pathbar) it is the lightest anti virus available and is very good for scanning and protection. and also as a laptop, what power option are you using?
how long have you had vista on ther for?
Score
January 28, 2011 12:25:53 AM

rajaawad23 said:
mafee will slow down your computer, tried it my self, I use Avast (http://avast.en.softonic.com/download#pathbar) it is the lightest anti virus available and is very good for scanning and protection. and also as a laptop, what power option are you using?
how long have you had vista on ther for?

I don't have vista on my computer I have Windows XP that was an error, and for power option, depends on what you mean, I have it set for performance right now but if you are looking for power source that would be stock power supply and power cord.
Score
a c 141 à CPUs
January 28, 2011 12:35:30 AM

scan for a rootkit, these typically can't be detected from within windows, or any os that loads from the 'infected' bootdrive.
Score
January 28, 2011 12:54:42 AM

you might want to try to format and reinstall XP, you will see the difference with a fresh install, and this is how you will know if it is a hardware or software problem, if it is still slow after the install then you have faulty hardware.
Score
January 28, 2011 1:34:22 AM

you may just want to upgrade it or get a new machine altogether
Score
January 28, 2011 1:42:45 AM

2239476,13,815744 said:
you may just want to upgrade it or get a new machine altogether[/quote

I have considered both, unfortunately I can't upgrade it anymore, so if this is an unsolvable problem, I will be forced to buy a new one. :cry: 
Score

Best solution

a c 126 à CPUs
January 28, 2011 1:48:02 AM

jwdurden said:
Already tried that. I also have the most up to date Anti spyware for my computer. McAfee 2011 edition

Thats probably a huge reason for the lag. For one, McAfee is a resource hog and two its crap against everything. You are better off going with this:

Microsoft Security Essentials (its free and 10x better than McCrappy)
Malware-bytes (also free)
Super Anti-Spyware (also free)

MSE runs in realtime, Malware-bytes and SAS do not for the free version. Either way that setup will outdo McAfee and as well not cost a dime. Other than that you might want to install and run Hijack This and see whats running at startup as well as while Windows is going because 2GB for XP is overkill unless you are a heavy gamer.
January 28, 2011 1:54:11 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Thats probably a huge reason for the lag. For one, McAfee is a resource hog and two its crap against everything. You are better off going with this:

Microsoft Security Essentials (its free and 10x better than McCrappy)
Malware-bytes (also free)
Super Anti-Spyware (also free)

MSE runs in realtime, Malware-bytes and SAS do not for the free version. Either way that setup will outdo McAfee and as well not cost a dime. Other than that you might want to install and run Hijack This and see whats running at startup as well as while Windows is going because 2GB for XP is overkill unless you are a heavy gamer.

Where are the sites for this software?
Score
January 28, 2011 1:59:28 AM

Do you game or do anything fairly demanding for your PC?
Score
January 28, 2011 2:24:47 AM

kilo_17 said:
Do you game or do anything fairly demanding for your PC?

Yesh, I'm in computer engineering and do multiple tasks at the same time and I do a decent bit of gaming. Not anything that needs hardcore graphics though, mainly AOEII (Age of Empires II) and Lords of the realm. I do defragment my hard drive every week (1 or 2 times depends). I'm thinking that its time for an upgrade, my prof. told me that I'm going to need a better comp. anyways, but that isn't till next semester.
Score
January 28, 2011 2:33:03 AM

your probably right, an upgrade might just be the best thing to do
Score
a c 126 à CPUs
January 28, 2011 2:51:07 AM

jwdurden said:
Where are the sites for this software?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ - Microsoft Security Essentials

http://malwarebytes.org/ Malware-bytes

http://www.superantispyware.com/ Super Anti-Spyware

Also another thing you will want to look at is defraging your HDD with a good defrag tool. I like Defraggler which is made by the same guys a CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

I would also run scane with each program after installing and updating to make sure you get anything McAfee might have missed.
Score
January 28, 2011 11:16:25 AM

you should not defragment your hard drive that often because as it does help speed up your file transfer it tires your hard drive in the process, thats why it is recommended to run defrag once a month. so you might want to get new hard drive. and another reason could be becuase of the battery, when the battery becomes tired over time, it causes the lptop to slow down, i dont know exactly why but it does, try taking out your battery and run the laptop from the AC adapter,restart it and try it.
Score
January 30, 2011 8:31:32 PM

Best answer selected by jwdurden.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 6:14:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!