Sign in with
Your question

Pre Post Issue

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2010 2:57:13 PM

Hi Community Members,

I have a 10 month old homebuilt system that had been working fine until last week.

It comprises of:

Asus P7P55D EVO motherboard
Intel 860 CPU
Sapphire 5870
8GB Corsair XMS 1333 ram
1000W Be Quiet PSU
Asus DX soundcard
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD
2 x Sony optiarc DVD drives

The issue is it won't post after powering up for the first time that day!
To get it working I have to switch off the PSU and disconnect the plug wait for the motherboard lights to
go out and then reconnect and switch on and then it posts.

If I don't go through this procedure it either goes into a 'switch on switch off' cycle or it starts up with the
graphics card fan at full speed and stays stuck at that.

Once up and running it's fine and nothing has been added or altered or updated before this started.
Has anyone else had a simular issue or have any pointers to a possible cause/solution?

Thanks for taking time to read this and any comments would be appreciated.

Regards keith263

More about : pre post issue

a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 3:30:22 PM

You seem to have a PSU that is failing. Do you have access to another PSU that you could use (and meets the needs of your 5870) to troubleshoot with? Also, are you overclocking anything? If so, revert to default until you resolve.
November 1, 2010 4:00:02 PM

Hi COLGeek,

Thanks for the reply.

I do have another PSU I could try (1200W), just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue
to guide me in the right direction.
No overclocking here! Everything running at stock speeds.
What do you think about the fan issue on the graphics card?
You think thats related to the PSU?

Once again thanks for your input.

Regards keith263
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 4:10:12 PM

It could indicate a problem with the GPU as well. Try pulling the GPU and swapping with another, or use on-board video if you have, to troubleshoot. You are describing a classic PSU issue however.
November 1, 2010 4:23:57 PM

Thanks COLGeek,

I do have a spare graphics card (though quite old) to try, might try that first as it's a lot less trouble.
But as you think it sounds like a classic PSU issue I'll try that after the GPU if that doesn't work.
Glad to get some feedback just to narrow it down a bit.

Kind regards keith263
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2010 4:44:00 PM

The ol' reset the PSU to get it to work is a classic work around to get a failing PSU to function. Hopefully, if it is indeed defective, you have a warranty in place that will allow for a RMA. Good lck!
November 5, 2010 10:14:53 AM

To any interested members, COLGeek's diagnosis was spot on!
Have swapped over the faulty PSU and everything is fine. In the process of RMA'ing it now.

Goes to show that the communities exchange of information and advice really works and is a much nicer way
to try and solve an issue than sometimes going through the vendors tech support.

Once again many thanks to COLGeek (I'd give him a best answer if I knew how).

Kind regards to all, keith263
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2010 10:53:08 AM

keith263 said:
To any interested members, COLGeek's diagnosis was spot on!
Have swapped over the faulty PSU and everything is fine. In the process of RMA'ing it now.

Goes to show that the communities exchange of information and advice really works and is a much nicer way
to try and solve an issue than sometimes going through the vendors tech support.

Once again many thanks to COLGeek (I'd give him a best answer if I knew how).

Kind regards to all, keith263

Glad it all worked out for you. Have fun!
!