GTS 250 SLI vs new graphics card

I Have a gigabyte GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 and have been disappointed at my frame rates on 1280x1024 resolution. I'm thinking of getting a LG W2486L and I'm wondering if the card will be able to handle 1920 x 1080 res. Should I get another GTS 250 or get a new card and if so what do you suggest?

Specs
Gigabyte GTS 250 1GB
Intel core i5 650 @ 3.6 GHZ
Intel(R)5 series/3400 chipset
4 gig Ram
Huntkey True AFPC 700W Power Supply
16 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. Single GTS250 should do OK, 2x GTS250 SLI would do great. A single GTX 460 1GB would be my choice though.
  2. Disappointed with GTS 250 at 1280x1024?I smell something fishy.......
  3. I would be disappointed with 1280x1024. (he is fixing that)
  4. rolli59 said:
    I would be disappointed with 1280x1024. (he is fixing that)

I meant that the GTS 250 should give good performance at that resolution.On the other hand anyone with that resolution would like to get a higher resolution monitor.
  5. I get 40fps average on mafia 2..... I do smell something fishy with this rig, it's relatively new but can't figure out whats slowing it down.
  6. If it is on High settings with AA on, PhysX off, as measured in the built in benchmark then you have nothing wrong with your system mate.
  7. ok..... then it's just the shitty res that makes it stink
  8. is the Radeon HD 5970 worth it's price tag?
  9. BoerRepublic said:
    is the Radeon HD 5970 worth it's price tag?

No! But it is great for bragging rights.
  10. If you are able to get another GTS 250 dirt cheap then knock your self out but the 1156 platform isn't very good for sli/crossfire. A 460 will be a better investment.
  11. nforce4max said:
    If you are able to get another GTS 250 dirt cheap then knock your self out but the 1156 platform isn't very good for sli/crossfire. A 460 will be a better investment.

PCIe running at 8x for sli is more than enough, especially with a gts 250... But yeah I would rather have a 460 too. Although if you've already got the 250, just grab another imo.
  12. jryan388 said:
    PCIe running at 8x for sli is more than enough, especially with a gts 250... But yeah I would rather have a 460 too. Although if you've already got the 250, just grab another imo.

Sure if there is nothing else connected that uses pci-e lanes for I/O like USB 3.0 or a discrete audio card.
  13. I'm think I'm going for the Palit GeForce GTX 460 1024MB Sonic Platinum
  14. And I'm confused can the ga-h55m-s2h (my motherboard) support SLI? it has 2 slots
  15. You need to read up on the pci-e limitation in depth to really understand what I had said earlier. For most users this isn't a problem since do not crossfire or sli. There are 16 lanes provided provided by the integrated controller on the cpu (mcm) then there is a few more provided by the SB for integrated stuff like SATA, USB, Super I/O, audio, and other things. So they use up those lanes so in your case you can get 8x8 sli but not any thing else like a sound card or a network card. I suggest that you avoid it while performance scaling isn't much of a problem for the G92 with your cpu.
  16. BoerRepublic said:
    And I'm confused can the ga-h55m-s2h (my motherboard) support SLI? it has 2 slots

It has two slots one running at x16 the other at x4. Here they state only Crossfire support http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128420 although crossfire takes a bigger penalty than SLI running like the slots are set up. Anyway it looks like it does not support SLI
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gigabyte Graphics Product