Cingular and Nokia 6340i

Last response: in Network Providers
April 26, 2005 3:01:57 PM

I'm looking at purchasing an older model Nokia 6340i to use with
Cingular in the SF Bay Area and other parts of Northern California.

I need a phone like this because I have large fingers that cover 2-4
buttons on smaller phones and I have trouble reading the color screens
on a lot of the newer phones.

I've read a number of reviews on the 6340i. People seem to love them
or hate them. Any feedback?

Chas.

More about : cingular nokia 6340i

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:17:13 AM

* * Chas wrote:
> I'm looking at purchasing an older model Nokia 6340i to use with
> Cingular in the SF Bay Area and other parts of Northern California.
>
> I need a phone like this because I have large fingers that cover 2-4
> buttons on smaller phones and I have trouble reading the color screens
> on a lot of the newer phones.
>
> I've read a number of reviews on the 6340i. People seem to love them
> or hate them. Any feedback?

Mine works fine, and I've had it since December 2002. The mono LCD is
very legible in sunlight, unlike a color LCD. The edge lighting works
well in dim and dark. I got mine in advance of the GSM turnup in
Memphis. It still works fine on TDMA (hadn't seen any AMPS lately, but
had worked before). Be sure to get the "GSM/GAIT" option added to your
plan, along with the phone's ESN (and IMEI!).

John C.
April 28, 2005 1:03:05 AM

I currently use a motorola v400 but have 2 6340i's Nokia and really like
using them while I am at home. As far as everything in general, it
performs just as well, if not better than the v400, without all the
gadgets. If you might be interested, I might be willing to part with 1
of the 6340i's that I have. Email me and let me know if you are. We can
discuss it. Reception with the 6340i is just as good, if not better than
with my v400.
April 29, 2005 12:15:15 PM

"John Cummings" <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> * * Chas wrote:
> > I'm looking at purchasing an older model Nokia 6340i to use with
> > Cingular in the SF Bay Area and other parts of Northern
California.

> > I need a phone like this because I have large fingers that cover
2-4
> > buttons on smaller phones and I have trouble reading the color
screens
> > on a lot of the newer phones.
> >
> > I've read a number of reviews on the 6340i. People seem to love
them
> > or hate them. Any feedback?
>
> Mine works fine, and I've had it since December 2002. The mono LCD
is
> very legible in sunlight, unlike a color LCD. The edge lighting
works
> well in dim and dark. I got mine in advance of the GSM turnup in
> Memphis. It still works fine on TDMA (hadn't seen any AMPS lately,
but
> had worked before). Be sure to get the "GSM/GAIT" option added to
your
> plan, along with the phone's ESN (and IMEI!).
>
> John C.

Thanks for the feedback. I got a brand new 6340i and had it activated
yesterday. The speaker in the phone sounds really tinny and high
pitched. I have a number of other Nokias phones, (6160, 3285, 3585i)
and they all sound very good. I wonder if it's this phone or a common
problem with the 6340i Nokias.

Chas.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:15:31 PM

"john" <johnho007@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I currently use a motorola v400 but have 2 6340i's Nokia and really
like
> using them while I am at home. As far as everything in general, it
> performs just as well, if not better than the v400, without all the
> gadgets. If you might be interested, I might be willing to part with
1
> of the 6340i's that I have. Email me and let me know if you are. We
can
> discuss it. Reception with the 6340i is just as good, if not better
than
> with my v400.

Thanks for the feedback. I got a brand new 6340i and had it activated
yesterday. The speaker in the phone sounds really tinny and high
pitched. I have a number of other Nokias phones, (6160, 3285, 3585i)
and they all sound very good. I wonder if it's this phone or a common
problem with the 6340i Nokias.

Chas.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:56:04 PM

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the feedback. I got a brand new 6340i and had it activated
> yesterday. The speaker in the phone sounds really tinny and high
> pitched. I have a number of other Nokias phones, (6160, 3285, 3585i)
> and they all sound very good. I wonder if it's this phone or a common
> problem with the 6340i Nokias.

I have had 3 of these phones over time and have not had a sound quality
issue with them.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:58:00 AM

* * Chas wrote:
> "john" <johnho007@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I currently use a motorola v400 but have 2 6340i's Nokia and really
>> like using them while I am at home. As far as everything in general,
>> it performs just as well, if not better than the v400, without all
>> the gadgets. If you might be interested, I might be willing to part
>> with 1 of the 6340i's that I have. Email me and let me know if you
>> are. We can discuss it. Reception with the 6340i is just as good, if
>> not better than with my v400.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I got a brand new 6340i and had it activated
> yesterday. The speaker in the phone sounds really tinny and high
> pitched. I have a number of other Nokias phones, (6160, 3285, 3585i)
> and they all sound very good. I wonder if it's this phone or a common
> problem with the 6340i Nokias.

I think you'll find that that audio equalizer has been turned on.
Settings > Call settings > Equalizer

John C.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:42:21 PM

> * * Chas wrote:
> > "john" <johnho007@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> I currently use a motorola v400 but have 2 6340i's Nokia and
really
> >> like using them while I am at home. As far as everything in
general,
> >> it performs just as well, if not better than the v400, without
all
> >> the gadgets. If you might be interested, I might be willing to
part
> >> with 1 of the 6340i's that I have. Email me and let me know if
you
> >> are. We can discuss it. Reception with the 6340i is just as good,
if
> >> not better than with my v400.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback. I got a brand new 6340i and had it
activated
> > yesterday. The speaker in the phone sounds really tinny and high
> > pitched. I have a number of other Nokias phones, (6160, 3285,
3585i)
> > and they all sound very good. I wonder if it's this phone or a
common
> > problem with the 6340i Nokias.
>
> I think you'll find that that audio equalizer has been turned on.
> Settings > Call settings > Equalizer

Thanks for the response. I discovered the Equalizer setting RTFM
several days ago. It was set to "Bright" !

I guess that I'm starting to get some high frequency hearing loss
because I was having problems understanding people on a lot of calls.
I switched to Loud and it's a lot better.

Chas.
!