AMD southbridge chipsets, sb710 vs sb850. What am i missing?

Claudioav

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Greetings.

I just bought a new desktop with an Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard. It goes with an AMD x4 965 Phenom II revision C3 and 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston. For the moment i intend to use the onboard Radeon HD4250 since i am a retro-indie gamer (mostly dwarf fortress) and a visual novel player; a large gpu can wait.

That particular cpu/mb combo was chosen because amd recommended the M4A88TD-V EVO/USB for that cpu on their site. It's not much of a guarantee, i know, but since i am the type of user that tends to use the same system for 3+ years, all the help is welcome.

You guys might have noticed the motherboard recommended (M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3) and the one i bought (M4A88T-V EVO/USB3) are not exactly the same. Looking at their specs, the only difference between the two seems to be the southbridge chipset, sb710 for the on i bought, sb850 for the one recommended. In fact, the sb710 motherboard doesn't even seem to exist on the amd website, as if they do not acknowledge its existence.

Regardless of the reasons, i am curious as to what am i missing when using the sb710 in lieu of the sb850. Since the PCI is dependant on the southbridge, i think any gpu i buy will be limited by it. Disk connection might also be limited, though i think it's not an issue since i do not intend to use a solid state drive. Something else i should look at?

Thank you :)

Claudioav

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

This is what i fear the most. Anyone knows whether a larger architecture means a slower gpu performance? I'm sure it won't make any difference on a low end card, but i wonder if it limits a high end card.