Raid 0 on Asus p8p67 deluxe

zackwack

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello,

I want to know if it's possible to partition a 1tb and raid 500gb of that partition with a 500gb drive in raid 0. Or do both drives have to be the same size entirely to work? Planing to improve performance on the 500gb, and just do away with the left over 500gb on the TB drive.

Solution
Stand corrected, just have never seen when using the Raid0 confiuration menu with ON-Board Raid Bios.
On performance, The overall performance would be Inbetween the two drives, not limited by the slowest drive. Throughput is controlled by the geomerty of the drive. That is a a fie that resides on drive a would be at the speed of drive a, if it is on drive B then performance is at Drive Bs specs. For files that are split between the two drives than over all performans would be in-between the two.

OP. Remember Raid0 does not significanly improve boot time, nor program load times. What it does do is improe read/write of large file structures that are sequencially place.

If you are after faster boot times and faster program times...
When using raid0 on two HDDs of different sizes.
The raid0 size is limited to twice the size of the SMALLER HDD with the remaining space on the larger drive unusable.

You can not set a partition on the larger drive and use that partition as part of a raid0 setup.

I say this, But way back (late ninties I did run across a rack mounted computer that had a raid0 set-up using a single drive - don't ask as I have NO idea how they did that. Was a High end rack mounted omputer set up by vender. Also Could NEVER figure out the Benifite of that set-up - LOL

zackwack

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Lol raid 0 on a same hard drive seems insanely redundant. So I don't have to partition, it'll do that automatically when I raid the smaller drive to the larger one?

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

This is incorrect. You can set partitions as part of array. But that is fully dependent on your raid controller and or your raid software.

So, if your raid management tool support it, you can create a 2x500GB partition (actually use about 501GB and 499GB since block alignment might give you less if you choose 500GB). Use the larger partition in your RAID array and the remain 499GB for whatever you choose. Keep in mind that your RAID performance will still be limited by your slowest disk and performance will be further impacted if you write to both partitions at the same time.

Stand corrected, just have never seen when using the Raid0 confiuration menu with ON-Board Raid Bios.
On performance, The overall performance would be Inbetween the two drives, not limited by the slowest drive. Throughput is controlled by the geomerty of the drive. That is a a fie that resides on drive a would be at the speed of drive a, if it is on drive B then performance is at Drive Bs specs. For files that are split between the two drives than over all performans would be in-between the two.

OP. Remember Raid0 does not significanly improve boot time, nor program load times. What it does do is improe read/write of large file structures that are sequencially place.

If you are after faster boot times and faster program times google a search on "Short Stoke"

Basically Raid0 does nothing for avg access Time and very little improvement for small random 4K performance. By short stroking you can decrease avg seek time. Disadvantage you only use about 30->40 % of the drive capacity, leaving the remainder as UNused.

Solution