Sign in with
Your question

New MB/Old Processor/New Fan/Old Sata Drives = Smoke?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2011 12:58:17 AM

Hello,

I helped a friend and now I own this darn issue I ran into with a migration and need extra brains please.

New MB with old processor and old ram with new CPU fan and new PSU. Sata HDD and Sata DVD drives. New Case.

Connected everything, Tested power to just CPU and fan = good

Added RAM tested = Good
Added Video Card/HDD and DVD Drives = Good

Good = Green MB light then with video card = post of BIOS

held off on booting, went into bios and watched CPU temp for 15 mins = 102 degrees, that cant be good right? I used arctic silver compund and I am a semi seasoned pc builder.

Booted into Windows and as soon as Windows wanted to fix itself I heard a small pop and smoke from one of the HDDs or so I think because I didnt catch it at the exact moment but it came from the area where the drives are.

Its a drive migrated from an old system so not sure if its dead or if I connected it wrong.

By wrong I mean maybe daisy chaining sata drives (2) isnt good? The chord on the PSU can take 4 sata connections and I only connected 2 drives total.

1) Whats up with the pop and smoke from the HDD? I have never ran into that before? Voltage? Bad HDD? Both?

2) Is 100 degrees F normal when the CPU isnt doing anything? (Its a $20 fan and this is a friends build so Im thinking $20 fan = $20 performance

3) Is the MB temp sitting @ 104F normal when idle

4) The Asus PCie card is HUGE and it runs really hot on the board but I cant get a temp reading on the card... it just feels hot (hot air, case open..hotter than I would think I would feel coming from a card)

FML

Any thoughts other than at the next boot its going to blow up on me?

Im thinking:

Remove the Vid Card and use the onboard video

replace the possible faulty drive

deal the the whole $20 fan issue contributing to the heat topic

air freshener for the smoke? :) 

Help?

Oh good news though, after smoking HDD the MB light still shows green so I dont think it is the board yet.
a c 863 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 1:02:52 AM

Fahrenheit or Celsius? (big difference)
m
l
January 27, 2011 1:05:21 AM

100 degrees farenheight, my brain lapsed
m
l
Related resources
a c 863 à CPUs
January 27, 2011 1:13:19 AM

Then it is OK.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2011 1:17:47 AM

Cpu temp is fine. Although can you give us the whole specs of this PC? :heink: 

PSU model, cpu, ect.

This could give some better insight for us to identify issues.

Edit: Also welcome to the forums :hello: 
m
l
January 27, 2011 1:26:50 AM

totally sorry
(The rig is sitting in my cube at work so this is only from memory)

MB= Asus P5G4IC-M
Intel Dual Core 2.24 (775)
2G Ram (2x1G)
2HDD Seagate (1TB x 1-500GB) SATA
Asus 1GB Video card (Dual DVI)
700W PSU non modular self regulating (cougar or something like that
molex jumpers and sata connectors

Sata connectors powering dvd drives and HDD

Molex powering Fans.

I did notice the CPU fan power plugs in one prong short (uses 3 prongs instead of 4 on the board but it works apparently)

Any other details I may have to place here tomorrow when I am in front of the box. Let me know.
m
l
January 27, 2011 1:28:47 AM

and thanks for the forum wlecoming. Ive been reading Toms for years I just never started a profile because I always find my answers in the other threads :) 

I think its time to help some people out but first I need to get my friends pc to not act like a fog machine
m
l
February 3, 2011 1:43:21 AM

okay so non issue. What fried was the display on the front of the case and not the Drives. Defective Case, now a new case = happy friend. Install went just fine.

I shall doth mark thee thy best answer
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2011 9:03:46 AM

rigbly said:
okay so non issue. What fried was the display on the front of the case and not the Drives. Defective Case, now a new case = happy friend. Install went just fine.

I shall doth mark thee thy best answer

Sorry about that. i meant to get back with you after my last comment but my ISP decided to go a little nuts [:aford10:1] so i was unable to help you figure out the issue (and with that forgot about your issue).

Although glad you were able to figure out the problem. [:wolfen18:9]
m
l
!