Sign in with
Your question

New HDD on toshiba satellite a660 laptop

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2013 2:12:40 PM

Hello i have taken my friends laptop to fix it because the old HDD was somewhat destroyed meaning that windows was loading forever and the hdd itself no matter what format or new fresh install of windows i did to it the pc recognised 0gb space and never booted.no space was unallocated and stuff like that... even to the store they told me that the system was needing a new HDD so i bought one similar 320gb but hitachi brand..
i replaced the old HDD with the new one.. on bios it was recognised with 320 gb and so i tried to install the new windows 7 on it by booting from CD
now here is the problem
first of all it gives me

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US5, 307, 459, US5, 434, 872, US5, 732, 094, US6, 570, 884, US6, 115, 776 and
US6, 327, 625

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.22 (03/16/10).
PXE-E61: Media check failure, check cable

PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Secondly the new HDD had with it only one small plastic bag full of somewhat dust i didn't know where to use it so i left it and just placed the four old screws to the new one with the aluminum cover and then i unscrewed the one screw in the laptop that frees the sata pins and installed the new one and adjusted the pins and then vice versa... then i heared a sound confirming that the hdd secured in place... and i tried installing windows but no way i was completing it.. Did i do something wrong? i tried even changing the boot priority and i don't know what data cable it says.. its a freaking laptop no cable at all?
should i place the new hdd on my desktop and install windows on it and then reput it to the laptop with the files and maybe it works?
also excuse me for spelling issues im from greece !
a b D Laptop
a c 79 G Storage
February 11, 2013 3:47:42 PM

You have connected the hard drive properly, that's okay. The small bag containing what looks like dust is "silica gel" which soaks up moisture to prevent the hard drive from being damaged by condensation and damp whilst it's stored in the warehouse.
Just throw that bag away.

This message on the laptop screen:

"PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

means that the laptop cannot find any bootable device. It is ignoring the Windows 7 DVD.
To make the laptop boot from the Windows 7 DVD, you need to go into BIOS Setup
and set the boot sequence so that the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device.

The laptop will then boot from the Windows 7 DVD.

To get into BIOS Setup, press and hold the F2 key as soon as the Toshiba splash-screen appears.
February 11, 2013 4:22:47 PM

I don't know why but the cd/dvd drive wasn't opening( at boot priority set to primary cd/dvd to get the cd out) so i used a pin to open on the hole next to eject button and so i believe i damaged the cd rom drive too? anyways it opened once and now it opens and flashes a green led meaning it works right?
no boot from any cd however.. either the x63 or 32 bit...have i damaged the hardware ?
Related resources
February 11, 2013 4:26:28 PM

Is there any extracted complete windows files download so i can just put them and rescue the laptop boot up at least?
February 11, 2013 7:03:13 PM

I tried installing the windows by booting from my dekstop and connected the 320gb HDD to it... i got the windows isntalled on the disk so the problem seems to be by the ODD(cd drive) and i removed the hdd and placed it to the laptop... again no POST no boot.. nothing i get again the message
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US5, 307, 459, US5, 434, 872, US5, 732, 094, US6, 570, 884, US6, 115, 776 and
US6, 327, 625
!