Updating Gigabyte bios

fr0st4lyfe

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
This is my first time updating bios, or thinking about it.
I currently use a GA-p55-usb3 motherboard.
I bought a SSD which acts really funny with my motherboard. I took me a while to install windows on the ssd and i finally got it to work for a little bit. When ever I do anything with the SSD my computer blue screens of death. than my bios wont be able to read the ssd anymore. So I want to update my bios to see if it will fix this problem but I am not sure on the best way to do so safely.

Could someone please help me find a quick and easy way to update my Gigabyte p55-usb3

My computer specs"
GA-p55-usb3
8gigs of corsair ram
i-5 760
windows 7 64bit

P.S. if there is a way I can fix my ssd problems help would greatly be appreciated if it is not my BIOS causing this problem.

Solution
It's unlikely a mobo BIOS upgrade will resolve your SSD issues unless Gigabyte states this in the BIOS update on their website for your mobo model. If your Gigabyte mobo is fairly new they offer two types of BIOS flashing which are listed in your users manual and also on the Gigabyte website. Typically one version works from the Boot screen and the other from Windows.

Before you do a mobo BIOS upgrade you might want to check your SSD Firmware and see if there is an update for it as all of the SSD vendors have had some form of issues with many models of SSDs. The SSD forums for your model/brand of SSD may also have a solution for your issues?

beenthere

Distinguished
It's unlikely a mobo BIOS upgrade will resolve your SSD issues unless Gigabyte states this in the BIOS update on their website for your mobo model. If your Gigabyte mobo is fairly new they offer two types of BIOS flashing which are listed in your users manual and also on the Gigabyte website. Typically one version works from the Boot screen and the other from Windows.

Before you do a mobo BIOS upgrade you might want to check your SSD Firmware and see if there is an update for it as all of the SSD vendors have had some form of issues with many models of SSDs. The SSD forums for your model/brand of SSD may also have a solution for your issues?

Solution

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Some of the newer GB BIOS updates are designed specifically for better compatibility with some SSD's, it very well may fix your issue. If you are having issues with the SSD it is probably best to put the BIOS update on a bootable USB flash drive or another regular hard drive and update it from there bypassing the SSD and or windows all together. The last thing you want to have happen is windows BSOD while you are updating the BIOS, if that happens you will likely need to RMA the mobo.

Some things to try in the mean time...

Make sure in BIOS you have your HD controllers set to AHCI, not IDE. I recall somewhere that if you change this after a windows install you will need to reinstall windows as it wont be set up properly. I think there was a way to edit the registry manually to fix it but it looked complicated and I don't recall where I read it.

I'm not totally familiar with that GB model but if it has 2 different SATA controllers like mine, a Marvell controller and an Intel one, use the Intel. SSD's on many mobo's don't play well with the Marvell controllers.

As the previous poster said update the SSD firmware also if one is available.

Hope that helps.

paprikachips

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
i also have a gigabyte p55usb3 with ssd problems.

but i think i have got it fixed for now

i put my ssd with intel str driver on port 1 sata 2

the rest i put on my gsata ports .

i only use the ssd on my sata 2 ports nothing else.

and it seems to be stabil for now no crashes no bsods no problems ;)

up time 14 hours and no bsods in fact have not seen any bsods for 2 days.

my system

i7 860 oc 3.32 8 gig corsair
watercooling
p55 usb3 from gigabyte