Your question
Closed

New build, 24/7 torrent box, server, messaging client, possible WHS

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2010 7:48:23 PM

So I am looking into replacing my old HP Special Edition L2005 (Laptop) with a MicroATX system to be a torrentbox, server, messaging client, could be upgraded to WHS. I have been debating getting an Atom, or a Sempron because of their low power usage but they are so sluggish and the Sempron is only a single core..

This is what I ahve speced out so far.
Motherboard, (ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Processor (AMD Athlon II X2 245): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM (Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDDx2 (Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total comes to 313.37 (with 10% off mobo code).

I want to get a nice MicroATX case with a good PSU I was looking at the Antec Minute350: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but it would be the most expensive thing is my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Soon. I am craving the need to build a new system. But, I dont know how good the Black Friday/CyberMonday deals will be.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 200-400) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 24/7 stable torrent, IM client, possible upgrade to WHS

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (will be using Remote Desktop), CD/DVD, and OS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I like Asus for boards but it really doesnt matter as long as its stable and has the features I need. I personally prefer WD hard drives and I dont think I could relly save much with going with another Mfg.

Overclocking: Maybe, Undervolting Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: Quiet as it is in the room where I sleep, I dont mind modding the case to fit 2x 2.5 inch drives.

Edit: I also have a Antec TrueControl 2.0 550 Watt and CoolerMaster Centurion case but the PSU is ATX and the case is rather big for my needs. What I really need is a good case. (and yes these are legal torrents)

More about : build torrent box server messaging client whs

November 15, 2010 4:52:53 PM

If you havent already purchased - been awhile since post. Why 2 slow blue notebook hdds instead of one 1tb spinpoint f3 or a wd black? the blues are slow. That case is really nice and cheap. Do you not need OS? Linux box?
Score
November 15, 2010 6:23:42 PM

sonic-boom said:
If you havent already purchased - been awhile since post. Why 2 slow blue notebook hdds instead of one 1tb spinpoint f3 or a wd black? the blues are slow. That case is really nice and cheap. Do you not need OS? Linux box?

I did make the purchase. I went for the 5400 RPM drives (2.5) as the system is in my room and they are quieter than 7200's and lower power consumption, I am not that concerned about drive throughput. When I need more space I will probably get 2x1TB drives, or larger when I need to upgrade. (The WD Blue drives are in RAID 1)

For the OS I have a Server 08 R2 license, which I have put in the system. A bit of a pain to configure but it works.

I also bought a 3.5 to 2.5 bay adapter so I can put both the 2.5 drives in a single 3.5 bay, and an Artic Cooling Alpine 64 (the stock HSF is sorta noisy and this is silent, while still fits in the case)

Hindsight there are two things I could have changed, waiting another day or two for free shipping on the case, and could have gotten 1333 RAM instead of 1066 but you never know what deals will be next.

I did RMA the PSU to Antec because there is a clicking noise coming from the fan on the PSU, checked there weren't any wires hitting it. So I currently have a 1kW PSU powering a 40 watt system >.<
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 15, 2010 6:24:28 PM

definitly buy F3s....

Quote:
I also have a Antec TrueControl 2.0 550 Watt and CoolerMaster Centurion case but the PSU is ATX and the case is rather big for my needs. What I really need is a good case. (and yes these are legal torrents)
is size really that much of an issue? you could drop the case, and have more to spend on the rest of the stuff...
November 15, 2010 6:52:15 PM

Atotalnoob said:
definitly buy F3s....

Quote:
I also have a Antec TrueControl 2.0 550 Watt and CoolerMaster Centurion case but the PSU is ATX and the case is rather big for my needs. What I really need is a good case. (and yes these are legal torrents)
is size really that much of an issue? you could drop the case, and have more to spend on the rest of the stuff...

Like I said I already purchased it. The 550 watt PSU is also extremely inefficent and noisy, the noise is probably because I dont have the "control" panel for the PSU to regulate the PSU fan speed.
Score
November 15, 2010 6:53:03 PM

I meant for the case size
Score
November 15, 2010 7:10:36 PM

I currently have a "spare computer" in the case. Pentium 4 540, 1GB DDR2 667, 3x 160GB Western digitals and an Abit AW8-MAX. Its a "spare" but its more of a storage device to hold extra components. It was at one point a makeshift HTPC, until I got my laptop with an HDMI out.

The PC I just build one reason to get a smaller case as at some point that will move into a rack around a TV and the Coolermaster case would be to large for that.
Score
November 25, 2010 12:55:43 AM

Best answer selected by Snipergod87.
Score
November 25, 2010 12:56:02 AM

no real best answer but you tried helping the most
Score
November 25, 2010 2:17:44 AM

sorry I couldn't help more.... my bad.....
Score
November 25, 2010 2:54:04 AM

Atotalnoob said:
sorry I couldn't help more.... my bad.....

No worries I already purchased it when the replies came in. Your suggestions did give me things to think about for future upgrades for this device
Score
November 25, 2010 2:55:16 AM

=D glad I helped a bit....
Score
November 25, 2010 12:22:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!