I ran OCCT and got a error on core #-1 message. Then I ran IBT 20 times with the same settings and it said it was stable. After that, I played Age of Empires. As I was playing (about to win :fou:) it all froze up, the music played 'till the end of the song. I could not open task manager or go back to windows. Everything was frozen. I had to restart my computer. Was OCCT right and did IBT lie to me? Did my computer crash due to CPU instability?
Can CPU instability hurt your CPU? I am running an AMD Athlon II X3 440 @ 3.45GHz. Before the OC, this didn't happen. That is the only crash I have had. I am not exactly sure what a crash is though, except the BSOD. I thought it was when your computer locked up. Age of Empires still had a picture going though. I am also running Win. 7 Pro. The AoE I was playing was the old, old one. The first expansion.

I do not get it. I have 800Mhz memory clock at 766Mhz right now, if that is what you mean. Do you think my CPU is okay and that it was just kinda random? I set the stress to max and it tested 3012MB RAM. I have 4gb, but the other 1gb was being used, so I couldn't test it.

So, I ran OCCT last night to ensure that my OC was good. I ran it four hours.I woke up, checked it, "error on core-#1". Now, this is kinda confusing, IBT said I was fine. I set IBT to maximum stress and OCCT to standard. I do not get a blue screen or anything. Do you guys think that it is really not stable, or did OCCT just give me the wrong message or something? If it really is unstable, can it do damage to my CPU?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
You probably wouldn't do damage to your cpu. Though in certain software loads, your application or computer has the possibility of crashing. Unless you're on a mission/project critical computer, you'd likely be mostly ok with using your machine.

* The most you'd probably lose is data if your computer ever crashes. As long as you maintain the temps in their proper range.