Sign in with
Your question

Miss Matching Ram? What Do I Need to Know?

Last response: in Memory
September 27, 2011 11:29:58 PM

Just Wondering what I need to know about miss matching some Ram.

Or is it as simple as placing my New Ram in the Dim Slots, and Go on with life?

I'm not to knowledged in Ram I know you put it in the slots and make sure it's the correct DDR,DDR2,DDR3 your mobo supports and the correct speed.

Basically I'm buying Some Lexar 2x1Gb Ram (running at DDR2, 800mhz) but I still have my old Generic Acer Ram that came with my PC, (Not Sure what the speed is unless someone can tell me how to tell with CPUZ, it says 194.2mhz, with 3x3x3x9 Timings) I just want to know if it'll work and if it does work if theres any disadvantages IE, Slower Ram because of the Bottleneck of the Generic Acer Ram, Or whatever

Thanks
-Mithness

More about : miss matching ram

September 27, 2011 11:46:19 PM

Mithness said:
Just Wondering what I need to know about miss matching some Ram.

Or is it as simple as placing my New Ram in the Dim Slots, and Go on with life?

I'm not to knowledged in Ram I know you put it in the slots and make sure it's the correct DDR,DDR2,DDR3 your mobo supports and the correct speed.

Basically I'm buying Some Lexar 2x1Gb Ram (running at DDR2, 800mhz) but I still have my old Generic Acer Ram that came with my PC, (Not Sure what the speed is unless someone can tell me how to tell with CPUZ, it says 194.2mhz, with 3x3x3x9 Timings) I just want to know if it'll work and if it does work if theres any disadvantages IE, Slower Ram because of the Bottleneck of the Generic Acer Ram, Or whatever

Thanks
-Mithness

You should always try to pair ram together. That is try to use ram that is made by the same company, has been tested together, is the same speed and same type. Mismatching ram can cause problems with compatibilty and cause the ram not to work.
m
l
September 27, 2011 11:53:08 PM

Okay, So I'll just Throw Those Acer Ram Out (Not literally but I won't use them)

Thanks.
-Mithness
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2011 12:35:19 AM

194 with DDR2 is equivalent of 776 /rounded - 800/.
My advice is - put both pairs of RAM on the motherboard, and try running that way. Even if you don't succeed, it will not hurt. But check if they work on the same voltage - this is the important. And be sure to distribute them right in slots.
m
l
September 28, 2011 12:39:39 AM

It Won't Break my New Ram will it? Just making sure, don't want to get F***ed
you know.

and I didn't expect Acer Ram to actually run at 800Mhz I'm Surprised.

Oh yea I believe my Ram (currently) Is running at 1.8 Voltage. Is this a Standard Voltage?

Thanks
-Mithness
m
l
!